Browner given pay raise.. Not an extension

drdiags

Reaction score
Coug_Hawk08":1t5jm9tg said:
https://twitter.com/TomPelissero/status/360848345389989888

Pretty big raise. Making 2mm+ this year.

Congrats! He deserves it.

Getting close to the point where some of the mid-range players are being pressed to remain with the club. Our FB, LG and special teams captain LB, along with LS need to keep their eyes open.

-The Glove-

Reaction score
I'm happy for Browner. I know I've been guilty of taking Btowner for granted, but his presence on the field can't be said enough. He's a difference maker in more ways than one. One game last year that stands out to me is the Carolina game-particularly the play where Cam tries to run a RO and Browner completely blows it up by ripping the ball away from the pitchman.

drdiags

Reaction score
-The Glove-":1vw6e6mw said:
I'm happy for Browner. I know I've been guilty of taking Btowner for granted, but his presence on the field can't be said enough. He's a difference maker in more ways than one. One game last year that stands out to me is the Carolina game-particularly the play where Cam tries to run a RO and Browner completely blows it up by ripping the ball away from the pitchman.

The hit he and Trufant put on the Panthers WR on the goal line was huge as well. Hit he put on the Patriots slot WR was brutal. He is a no nonsense type player and isn't afraid to bring the pain.

EastCoastHawksFan

Reaction score
I love Browner and he absolutely deserves this. I am not upset at all. This sets a great example of what our Front office means . It will be a message heard through out the locker room.

SmokinHawk

Reaction score
Probably the most underrated Seahawks defender at this point. The guy is just criminally overlooked most of the time.

kobebryant

Reaction score
Good for him. Big fan of BB.

It'll be interesting to see what kind of market there is for him next season, as as good as he is he does require a system to play up his strengths. Are there teams out there willing to switch to press-man in order to accommodate him?

Gus in Jax would seem like a definite suitor especially given the tone BB would set for that young defense.

You have to think the 49ers would love to steal him and line him up across from Culliver and become extremely big and physical on the edges. Harbaugh may not like him now but loves that type of badass player.

Hoping the Hawks can keep him though. And if you're BB and the journey was as long and winding as it has been to this point you would definitely want to stay where you finally found success and stability.

Evil_Shenanigans

Reaction score
SmokinHawk":3amav06g said:
Probably the most underrated Seahawks defender at this point. The guy is just criminally overlooked most of the time.

I would Group Clem in with him in this respect as well.

Greenhell

Reaction score
nategreat":31gbah92 said:
I always thought we should sign the Legion of Boom to a single contract. All 4 guys, one contract. $32 million a year or something. That would be great! They would have to ask each other permission to take money out of the account, preventing any misjudged spending. :th2thumbs:

Lol!

Attyla the Hawk

Reaction score
Scottemojo":2464jwyh said:
This is called doing right.

We should applaud this deal, even if not an extension. It tells players that the Seahawks do right if a player earns it.

Exactly this.

This isn't new for Seattle either. We've been doing it for a while. You can't have that kind of reputation and expectation unless as an organization you are willing to make that 'your interest' even if it's not from a rosterbation standpoint.

In the end, when you're dealing with players, you're dealing with men. And especially in this environment, where the influence of agents are diminished and players are more and more willing to direct their agents to make deals based on non monetary factors -- a teams name and word is it's lifeblood.

SoHo9erFan":2464jwyh said:
I know you guys have a lot of cap space, but I would have thought Schneider would have made Sherman and Thomas a priority over Browner and Chancellor.. He must feel confident in retaining the entire secondary the next two offseasons.

Looking at the roster, it's pretty evident that the Sherman money is going to come from relieving large salaries doled out in 2010/11. That'll mean Bryant, Mebane, Giacomini, McQuistan or possibly Carpenter next year. That is close to 20M right there. We've already drafted successors for these guys.

Clemons, Rice and Miller are going to be the salaries used to resign both Thomas and Wilson.

We already have large contracts due to expire on players who are hitting their third deals or are on frontloaded third deals already. The roll over should be pretty painless, as we've already laid the groundwork for rolling over salary without loss of production. And it's ironic that many of these guys were the first wave of players where we 'took care of our own'. It's not inconceivable that many of these guys are retained at half of their current salary or even less.

You can't put a price tag on the value of your word. This Browner deal strikes me as making good on our word. I couldn't care less that the dollars won't roll over to cap space next year. Our reputation is worth more to the players already in the room, than guys whose best years were spent for other organizations.

Greenhell

Reaction score
Evil_Shenanigans":240qnp7a said:
SmokinHawk":240qnp7a said:

I would Group Clem in with him in this respect as well.

This^

warden

Reaction score
TwistedHusky":35jt88gc said:
Browner is the other guy that makes the Legion of Boom what it is.

He is our intimidator, and one of the most physical guys on our defense. He, not Sherman, hits almost as hard as Bam Bam. While ET is our center fielder and probably our most important player, Browner is the guy that annoys the WRs. He is ridiculously valuable and is ridiculously underpaid.

The guy came in and performed for us doing what CBs that get paid 4-5x what he did cannot do. He was a big part of some of our best wins and people want to complain that he might get extended? There are three guys that are ridiculously undervalued on this team, that people seem to think can be easily replaced and Browner is one of those guys.

You frankly cannot replace what Browner brings to the table. Look at interviews of WRs and a lot of them talk about how they hate people putting their hands on them. They hate being messed with as they run their routes. Browner does not just put his hands on them. He slams them. And it p*sses them off, so they fight, they do stupid things, they don't run the right routes or they tense up when he gets near.

There is a value there and since he was underpaid since he got here, he certainly deserves a little payback for what he has helped turn this team into. He is a key cog in our success but gets paid like a punter. Ridiculous.

He deserved a raise and an extension.

Agreed

Hawks46

Reaction score
kobebryant":341lgtqh said:
Good for him. Big fan of BB.

It'll be interesting to see what kind of market there is for him next season, as as good as he is he does require a system to play up his strengths. Are there teams out there willing to switch to press-man in order to accommodate him?

Gus in Jax would seem like a definite suitor especially given the tone BB would set for that young defense.

You have to think the 49ers would love to steal him and line him up across from Culliver and become extremely big and physical on the edges. Harbaugh may not like him now but loves that type of badass player.

Hoping the Hawks can keep him though. And if you're BB and the journey was as long and winding as it has been to this point you would definitely want to stay where you finally found success and stability.

I've heard people speculate this, and while we do have a unique scheme, it's not singular in utilizing Browner's skill set. Any 3-4 team that uses pressure to help out their QBs (Jets, Pittsburgh, Baltimore, Miami, etc.) can use a press man coverage on the outside WR to mess up the timing while the pressure gets to the QB. It's usually not difficult for Browner to buy an extra 2-3 seconds on the outside if he gets a really good jam on the WR, and that's more than enough to get to the QB if you can shut down his other options. Browner is so good at this that I've seen QBs just stop looking his way even if the WR is the primary option.

Look at his number of targets. His first year, he was one of the most targeted CBs in the league (a big reason he led the league in pass deflections). Last year, his targets went way down. Funny, but it's also a reason why Sherman's stats went up; teams threw more at him, and he was smart enough to bait QBs into throwing at him after they quit looking to Browner's side.

I don't see SF being able to afford him if he hits the open market. They are pretty cash strapped and I'm betting there are a lot of teams that will surprise us in what they offer Browner. I'm betting there are more GMs that would disagree with a lot of us here in thinking that our defense is the only one in which Browner can thrive.

sutz

Reaction score
I would argue that other teams don't have the same advantage we do, with regard to BB. They don't have ET back there to cover for him if he misses the jam or the WR gets free early. The LOB is greater than the sum of its parts. Without good safety backup, the corners tend to have to be a lot less aggressive. That's the real reason so many teams don't or can't play the single high safety as often as we do.

In some ways, I think it's a bit like the front seven, where the DL keeps the big OL off of the linebackers and make them more effective. A big part of Lofa's decline was the loss of Tubbs up front. Losing BB could have a similar affect on ET and give him a couple of less steps to close in coverage. So keeping the LOB intact is a major priority. We have some talent up and coming, but none are well proven yet.

I'd say there is no downside to this move.

warden

Reaction score
sutz":yeeg862g said:
I would argue that other teams don't have the same advantage we do, with regard to BB. They don't have ET back there to cover for him if he misses the jam or the WR gets free early. The LOB is greater than the sum of its parts. Without good safety backup, the corners tend to have to be a lot less aggressive. That's the real reason so many teams don't or can't play the single high safety as often as we do.

In some ways, I think it's a bit like the front seven, where the DL keeps the big OL off of the linebackers and make them more effective. A big part of Lofa's decline was the loss of Tubbs up front. Losing BB could have a similar affect on ET and give him a couple of less steps to close in coverage. So keeping the LOB intact is a major priority. We have some talent up and coming, but none are well proven yet.

I'd say there is no downside to this move.

Earl's closing speed is why Browner and Sherman can play the way they do, they have support

EastCoastHawksFan

Reaction score
Browner " I know its much more then the average guy , im more than happy. I use to make 50 k a year in Canada shiiii*"

I started laughing , I really hope we can extend this guy. He brings a Linebackers mentality to the corner position.

Scottemojo

Reaction score
Simply put, we play more press than probably any other team in the league. Browner is just right for our scheme. I don't think Browner's market is as big as some might fear. Browner will be 30 before the first game of the 2014 season as well. I don't think he is going to suddenly become slow or anything, but some teams don't want very many 30 plus guys. Like the Hawks for one.

My guess is Browner will be with us for at least 3 more years after this. If he does leave, I would expect it to be Jacksonville or Dallas.

Our front office is establishing a history of do right moves. I love that. The recent trend of underpriced free agents is due in no small part to our front office and coach having a reputation as do right people. It is a multi faceted do right plan, not only fiscally and even in the way they let bought in players go, but schematically they play to players strengths, thereby increasing their value should economics lead them away from the Hawks. I truly believe that the front office is just as transparent with players as they are with coaches, who they hire promising them they will help them advance in the NFL fraternity if possible. Even if it is not with the Hawks. Get used to it, .NET brothers and sisters, it is the do right model.

Up to now, the Patriots were the NFL model, with a 100% focus on the team. The new best model is the Hawks, where team is not ignored, but neither is the future of the individual. Unless you are a whiny bastard like Housh, then we will pay you to play elsewhere just to get your ass gone.

-The Glove-

Reaction score
EastCoastHawksFan":yvthvhdq said:
Browner " I know its much more then the average guy , im more than happy. I use to make 50 k a year in Canada shiiii*"

I started laughing , I really hope we can extend this guy. He brings a Linebackers mentality to the corner position.

Did he say it like Senator Clay Davis?

DavidSeven

Reaction score
Very happy for him. The man is a beast out there. Sounds like a great compromise. If he plays great in 2013, maybe he keeps this small gesture in mind and works with the FO on a mutually advantageous deal. If he loses a step, the team hasn't handcuffed itself too much financially moving forward. I think it reflects well on the organization and is a sound business move at the same time.

Sac

Reaction score
-The Glove-":13khr1fa said:
EastCoastHawksFan":13khr1fa said:

Did he say it like Senator Clay Davis?

[youtube]l1dnqKGuezo[/youtube]