Browns claim OL Michael Bowie off waivers.

TXHawk

Reaction score
seedhawk":33kdj686 said:
So, Carp gets a pass for being overweight and perhaps lazy and Bowie doesn't. I bet there is something else going on here. Either with Bowie, or whomever could be his replacement.

There were some mitigating circumstances for Carpenter his first few years but I also think Carroll and Schneider have less tolerance for that now that they're no longer trying to build a roster from scratch. If Carpenter had shown up this season overweight and out of shape there's a good chance he'd also be meeting new teammates right about now.. Talent and potential are only part of the equation in what they are looking for in players and if someone doesn't have the competitive fire and work ethic they want I think they'll cut them loose fairly quickly now and move on.

Leee-roy

Reaction score
No return of the thin white duke.......................... :?

SE174

Reaction score
kearly":20bh5577 said:
Do not get in Pete's doghouse. He'll send your ass to Cleveland. AT BEST!
That rant was awesome, props for that reference.

:th2thumbs:

Scottemojo

Reaction score
kearly":3jtbvabi said:
This transaction saves Seattle roughly half a million in cap space. If the team thought Bowie was a lost cause, this could actually be considered good news.

Thanks for making a separate topic here so we could see it easily.
I could be wrong, but won't his roster spot cost pretty much the same for whoever replaces him?

EverydayImRusselin

Reaction score
Scottemojo":djcgt5gi said:
kearly":djcgt5gi said:
This transaction saves Seattle roughly half a million in cap space. If the team thought Bowie was a lost cause, this could actually be considered good news.

I could be wrong, but won't his roster spot cost pretty much the same for whoever replaces him?

That's what I was thinking. If he is replaced by Winston, it would in fact be more right?

53 man RT list (per OTC)

Bowie - $506,474
Britt - $628,533

or

Winston - $1,015,000
Britt - $628,533

A

Anonymous

hawksfansinceday1":3khjql2y said:
Leee-roy":3khjql2y said:
No return of the thin white duke.......................... :?
David Bowie played for the Seahawks?

I believe he's played in Seattle, but not for the Hawks.

TXHawk

Reaction score
EverydayImRusselin":3q2l1v4p said:
Scottemojo":3q2l1v4p said:
kearly":3q2l1v4p said:

That's what I was thinking. If he is replaced by Winston, it would in fact be more right?

53 man RT list (per OTC)

Bowie - $506,474
Britt - $628,533

or

Winston - $1,015,000
Britt - $628,533

They would have had to pay Bowie's salary while he was on the IR in addition to whatever they paid the person who replaced him on the 53-man roster. So they saved about $500,000 on the salary cap.

OP
OP
DavidSeven

DavidSeven

Reaction score
Bowie may have been the most sought after waived/injured player of all time:

[tweet]https://twitter.com/profootballtalk/status/496296681496145920[/tweet]

TXHawk

Reaction score
DavidSeven":17rjk5vi said:

That pretty much confirms my belief that Carroll and Schneider knew Bowie would probably be claimed if they put him on the waiver wire and they did it anyway. This was a message sent to the rest of the team that "Always Compete" isn't just an empty phrase. It was the same message they delivered when they chose a 5'10" 3rd round pick to start at QB over a guy they had just given a big contract to.

CPHawk

Reaction score
How pissed would you be to go from Seattle to the browns? I'd laugh if he refused to report to them.

NorthDallas40oz

Reaction score
EverydayImRusselin":yewhsbno said:
Scottemojo":yewhsbno said:
kearly":yewhsbno said:

53 man RT list (per OTC)

Bowie - $506,474
Britt - $628,533

or

Winston - $1,015,000
Britt - $628,533
Players on I.R. count against the cap too (ALL players do once the season starts...active roster, I.R., PUP, practice squad, etc.), so by losing Bowie on waivers they cleared the cap space that his salary would have occupied....which for all intents and purposes would have been the equivalent of 'dead money' since he would have been on I.R.

blkhwk

Reaction score
IIRC, only the top 51 salaries count against the cap. If his salary while on IR was one of the top 51, then yes it would could against the cap. Otherwise his salary would not.

That is how it is possible to "red shirt" young guys with "injuries"

A

Anonymous

CPHawk":2fxdz2j9 said:
How pissed would you be to go from Seattle to the browns? I'd laugh if he refused to report to them.

They got Johnnie Football though...

A

Anonymous

TXHawk":3c383bhw said:
DavidSeven":3c383bhw said:

That pretty much confirms my belief that Carroll and Schneider knew Bowie would probably be claimed if they put him on the waiver wire and they did it anyway. This was a message sent to the rest of the team that "Always Compete" isn't just an empty phrase. It was the same message they delivered when they chose a 5'10" 3rd round pick to start at QB over a guy they had just given a big contract to.

Except Bowie was injured, which is different.

Right?

I like how your are thinking, but you really think the "example" should be made every season, or perhaps a reason to do so presented itself?

Evil_Shenanigans

Reaction score
Hate to say it, but the loss of Bowie is not (IMO) going to be that much of an impact. It was always going to be a competition for Breno's vacated spot/ a building point on the OL. To show up at camp in the shape that he did is just plain foolish! His sloth landed him in Cleveland for all his (lack of) offseason work. But hey, he got his ring.

NorthDallas40oz

Reaction score
blkhwk":6wji9i8e said:
IIRC, only the top 51 salaries count against the cap. If his salary while on IR was one of the top 51, then yes it would could against the cap. Otherwise his salary would not.

That is how it is possible to "red shirt" young guys with "injuries"
Nope, the 'top 51' rule is only for the off-season. Once the regular season starts, ALL players count towards your cap, incl. those on I.R., the PS, etc.

Jville

Reaction score
It seems to me that all the claiming interest in an injured offensive tackle speaks to the relative shortage of competitive offensive tackles around the league.

Also, Cleveland's claim of Michael Bowie essentially compensates for last years loss of Caylin Hauptmann to Seattle off of Cleveland's 2013 practice squad.