Browns claim OL Michael Bowie off waivers.

chris98251

Reaction score
Didn't Moffitt get traded I think to the Browns and failed the physical before we sent him to the Broncos, seems that they are the first stop for players we cast off whether it's trade or waivers if you're a linemen.

OP
OP
DavidSeven

DavidSeven

Reaction score
Pete confirmed that Bowie came into camp 20 lbs overweight. He chose his words carefully, but he seemed to convey that throwing him on waivers was a conscious decision by the club.

Also, it sounds like Alvin Bailey will be thrown into the RT mix once Okung returns.

drdiags

Reaction score
mikeak":1wl3bdsg said:
If you think draft status matters to this FO then I don't think you have been paying attention

Does it matter what they have done in the past for their team in the sense that you review the players overall time - I am sure it does

Say what you want . Doesn't make it a universal truth.

BTW, if your FO is continually drafting guys in the higher rounds, giving them pretty decent contracts and bonuses, you really think as the owner you will just continually nod your head in agreement if your top picks aren't cutting it? Mr Allen most definitely appreciates what John and Pete has done for the organization, but at some point as a businessman, his advisers are going to be pointing out a need to match selections with success. So yeah, it matters, eventually.

Jville

Reaction score
DavidSeven":174gvbak said:
Pete confirmed that Bowie came into camp 20 lbs overweight. He chose his words carefully, but he seemed to convey that throwing him on waivers was a conscious decision by the club.

Also, it sounds like Alvin Bailey will be thrown into the RT mix once Okung returns.

Pete also mentioned that "... our guys are in shape year round ...." ... thus the Michael Bowie exit.

Shadowhawk

Reaction score
I don't think Bowie was too happy about Pete's comment either. If you follow Curtis Crabtree on Twitter, he got a screencap of a now-deleted tweet by Bowie where he tried to say that "added weight and being out of shape are two different things... stop."

LudwigsDrummer

Reaction score
Shadowhawk":1tpf6qri said:
I don't think Bowie was too happy about Pete's comment either. If you follow Curtis Crabtree on Twitter, he got a screencap of a now-deleted tweet by Bowie where he tried to say that "added weight and being out of shape are two different things... stop."

Regarding Curtis Crabtree, Softy said on 950 KJR today that CC asked the station fellows who they thought this years surprise cut would be. CC's answer was Bowie.
CC also correctly picked Winfield as last year's surprise cut, again mentioned by Softy.

Our Crabtree is dialed in and not mediocre.

Tokadub

Reaction score
So Ukung is still injured coming off surgery, probably our 2nd most likely guy to get injured next season behind Harvin.

Unger was over rated to begin with and he's on the decline.

Bowie was highly praised by many on this forum and he got traded for being a fat arse and he got injured.

Winston got knocked the f out by Chancellor even when he put his entire weight to brace for impact. Kam bulldozed Winston, barely lost any speed and hit their Running Back instantaneously afterwards.

Britt apparently might lose his spot to Winston which is pathetic.

Bailey = unproven noob. Most the games he played Wilson was getting rocked.

J.R. Sweezy = probably more penalties per play than Giacomini.

Carpenter = came in shape but at heart he is an over weight, slow, lazy, injury prone dude with no skills.

So why exactly is our O-Line going to be improved? Seems like it will be worst most likely I don't see any upside with this group, none at all.

Let's pray for a miracle that Wilson doesn't get injured because he will have no pass blocking whatsoever.

CurryStopstheRuns

Reaction score
Tokadub":ixso0ewh said:
So Ukung is still injured coming off surgery, probably our 2nd most likely guy to get injured next season behind Harvin.

Bowie was highly praised by many on this forum and he got traded for being a fat arse and he got injured.

Winston got knocked the f out by Chancellor even when he put his entire weight to brace for impact. Kam bulldozed Winston, barely lost any speed and hit their Running Back instantaneously afterwards.

Carpenter = came in shape but at heart he is an over weight, slow, lazy, injury prone dude with no skills.

So why exactly is our O-Line going to be improved? Seems like it will be worst most likely I don't see any upside with this group, none at all.

Let's pray for a miracle that Wilson doesn't get injured because he will have no pass blocking whatsoever.

You almost convinced me. Maybe a little more caps lock next time? Great post.

Pandion Haliaetus

Reaction score
Tokadub":7b898pz8 said:

Okung not Ukung. Meh, its likely considering his history but just as well he could start every game.

Bowie didn't get traded, he was waived and claimed. Get your facts straight.

Unger is a little overrated, he's not a top 5 C but top 10 for sure. Decline possibly but OCs tend to age better than any position in the NFL other than QB. Unger also said to be in much better shape he was a year ago. Upgrade, Unger will have a bounce back year if he stays at full-strength and healthy.

Winston wasn't bracing for that it. His left foot was extended as he was sliding right, looking right when Chanchellor who is 6'3, 240 pounds, for better or worse, blind-sided him. That one play shouldn't define Winston.

Britt is a rookie who is learning the ZBS, Winston is a 7 year veteran, has a doctorate in ZBS knowledge and was not too long ago to be considered one of the best RTs in the game. Not pathetic at all.

Speaking of Winston, yeah he's probably better than Britt, but he's also better than Bowie for sure and likely Giacomini as well. So can you say upgrade?

Bailey... yeah he's untested for the most part but at the same time he's been exclusively at LT this year, getting #1 reps, he has the athleticism to be solid, and if its any consolation he likely can't be any worse than McQuistan. So as a backup LT... again you're looking at an upgrade.

Sweezy is bigger, badder, and more intelligent. He has dominating potential and even if he does get flagged wouldn't Giacomini absence negate that fact? Can you spell logic? 2014 Sweezy is a upgrade over 2013 Sweezy.

Carpenter is by far the dumbest comment you've made. Dude is healthy and in shape, which will make him more consistent, which lead to confidence, confidence will turn into optium performance and the dude is a mountain, he as all the tools to dominant. And he has all the reason to go ALL IN since he's in a contract season.

One day I will get banned for saying the things I really want to say to you.

sc85sis

Reaction score
Pandion Haliaetus":k8s4zwnw said:
Tokadub":k8s4zwnw said:

Okung not Ukung. Meh, its likely considering his history but just as well he could start every game.

Unger is a little overrated, he's not a top 5 C but top 10 for sure. Decline possibly but OCs tend to age better than any position in the NFL other than QB. Unger also said to be in much better shape he was a year ago. Upgrade, Unger will have a bounce back year if he stays at full-strength and healthy.

Winston wasn't bracing for that it. His left foot was extended as he was sliding right, looking right when Chanchellor who is 6'3, 240 pounds, for better or worse, blind-sided him. That one play shouldn't define Winston.

Britt is a rookie who is learning the ZBS, Winston is a 7 year veteran, has a doctorate in ZBS knowledge and was not too long ago to be considered one of the best RTs in the game. Not pathetic at all.

Speaking of Winston, yeah he's probably better than Britt, but he's also better than Bowie for sure and likely Giacomini as well. So can you say upgrade?

Bailey... yeah he's untested for the most part but at the same time he's been exclusively at LT this year, getting #1 reps, he has the athleticism to be solid, and if its any consolation he likely can't be any worse than McQuistan. So as a backup LT... again you're looking at an upgrade.

Sweezy is bigger, badder, and more intelligent. He has dominating potential and even if he does get flagged wouldn't Giacomini absence negate that fact? Can you spell logic? 2014 Sweezy is a upgrade over 2013 Sweezy.

Carpenter is by far the dumbest comment you've made. Dude is healthy and in shape, which will make him more consistent, which lead to confidence, confidence will turn into optium performance and the dude is a mountain, he as all the tools to dominant. And he has all the reason to go ALL IN since he's in a contract season.

Or you could make use of the ignore feature.

TXHawk

Reaction score
Shadowhawk":2jwk1gq5 said:

I guess Pete wasn't convinced that the extra 20 lbs came from reps in the weight room rather than reps at the Wendy's takeout counter.

olyfan63

Reaction score
So this means the Hawks are more confident in guys like Gary Gilliam (and a daily OL signing, it seems) will be an ongoing contributor they don't have to babysit, and don't feel there is an overall value-to-the-team dropoff. (Whether Gilliam makes the team or not.) Pete and John have decided that Gilliam, et al, will be an overall upgrade over Bowie. Bowie blew his chance and the team is moving on. I also interpret this as more than Bowie being out of physical shape. I suspect he didn't impress the team with a student-of-the-game approach mentally, a passion for learning how to be better mentally, and that was a factor as well.

Have to say, I was surprised last season when Bowie was the one who got the start over Alvin Bailey for some games down the stretch. I can only guess that was more because of position familiarity. In any case, Bowie goes, Bailey stays, and for now, so do Gilliam and others.

OP
OP
DavidSeven

DavidSeven

Reaction score
I think Bowie got the start over Bailey last year because they had Bowie specifically slotted as a RT and Bailey slotted as a LT. I think Cable/Carroll do view those positions differently and look for a different physical profile at each spot. They like tall maulers on the right side and guys who can hold up a little better in pass pro on the left. I wouldn't take it to mean that Bowie was ahead of Bailey at that point. In last year's pre-season, Bailey was definitely the bigger star of the two.

Now that we're pretty thin at RT, it looks like Bailey is going to get a shot to compete on that side.

LudwigsDrummer

Reaction score
Pandion Haliaetus":3bjjghca said:
Tokadub":3bjjghca said:

I agree with PH's view on this topic.