Bruce Irvin back to Hawks

Spin Doctor

Reaction score
Largent80":227y8jtk said:
Spin Doctor":227y8jtk said:
A replaceable cog in the wheel, more of a role player than anything else.

He's so replaceable that they are bringing him back.
He's so replaceable that we let him walk in 2015, had three opportunities to sign him prior to today and elected not to despite having issues at both linebacker and pass rushing.

See I can make statements like that too...

Irvin is just a value proposition. He was likely available at a decent price. He's not bad, but he isn't that great either. He's a middle of the road player. Someone that is a replaceable role player that is generally a good value proposition. People need to tamper their expectations. He's not going to fix our pass rushing issues even if we resign Clowney.

John63

Reaction score
So far not one player that is a difference maker. Hmm

GeekHawk

Reaction score
John63":v4eh3mpe said:

Yeah, WTF? We obviously should be assembling a cast of all-stars like the iggles did a few years ago rather than a roster of solid players that complement each other. After all, look at the consistent playoff success of the eagles compared to the Seahawks for the last, like, 10 years.

Oh wait... :mrgreen:

Maelstrom787

Reaction score
John63":j9zcpcjp said:

Irvin had 8.5 sacks last year and generates pressure at a very good rate. He's a great fit at Leo and can provide depth at Sam too. His play, should it be near that level, certainly does make a difference.

Spin Doctor

Reaction score
Maelstrom787":1s0ueouy said:
John63":1s0ueouy said:

Irvin had 8.5 sacks last year and generates pressure at a very good rate. He's a great fit at Leo and can provide depth at Sam too. His play, should it be near that level, certainly does make a difference.
I doubt he is going to get 8.5 sacks, you're overselling his abilities. He's a good fit but I don't think he's going to get 8.5 sacks nor get consistent pressure.

Maelstrom787

Reaction score
Spin Doctor":1va6n0tt said:
Maelstrom787":1va6n0tt said:
John63":1va6n0tt said:

I doubt he is going to get 8.5 sacks, you're overselling his abilities. He's a good fit but I don't think he's going to get 8.5 sacks nor get consistent pressure.

Kind of a stretch to say I'm overselling his abilities by... literally quoting a stat of his last year, but alright.

I added the caveat in these stating that should he even be near the level he played at during 2019, it would still make a difference. I'm not saying he'll maintain the same sack numbers, although I wouldn't really put it past him if they play him at leo for a starter level amount of snaps.

Largent80

Reaction score
Spin Doctor":nrv2es2q said:
Largent80":nrv2es2q said:
Spin Doctor":nrv2es2q said:

He's so replaceable that we let him walk in 2015, had three opportunities to sign him prior to today and elected not to despite having issues at both linebacker and pass rushing.

Irvin is just a value proposition. He was likely available at a decent price. He's not bad, but he isn't that great either. He's a middle of the road player. Someone that is a replaceable role player that is generally a good value proposition. People need to tamper their expectations. He's not going to fix our pass rushing issues even if we resign Clowney.

Once again, he's so replaceable that the front office rehired him. It's not a statement it's fact.

Spin Doctor

Reaction score
Largent80":3uadfvng said:
Spin Doctor":3uadfvng said:
Largent80":3uadfvng said:
Spin Doctor":3uadfvng said:

Once again, he's so replaceable that the front office rehired him. It's not a statement it's fact.
We had three times we could have resigned him and didn't -- four if you include the time we let him go in free agency, Carolina decided not to resign him, he has now been on four different teams in three different years.

Your logic is "we resigned him therefore he's not a replaceable cog". That right there is an erroneous statement that is lacking in logic. By your logic Turbin was resigned (rehired in your words) by the Seahawks therefore he must be invaluable.

Now, just to be perfectly clear i'm not saying Irvin is bad. What I am saying is he won't fix what ails us on the line. He isn't a star player, he's more of a role player. He has only one real pass rushing move and he isn't bad against the run. Nothing wrong with that. He's a guy that is a decent placeholder -- but that is all he is. A starting caliber player that isn't spectacular, that is decent at somethings, lacking in a few others.

I'm essentially telling people that they should temper their expectations for him to be anything more than that.

Jville

Reaction score
Spin Doctor":2gsptk3k said:
Largent80":2gsptk3k said:
Spin Doctor":2gsptk3k said:
Largent80":2gsptk3k said:

We had three times we could have resigned him and didn't -- four if you include the time we let him go in free agency, Carolina decided not to resign him, he has now been on four different teams in three different years.

Your logic is "we resigned him therefore he's not a replaceable cog". That right there is an erroneous statement that is lacking in logic. By your logic Turbin was resigned (rehired in your words) by the Seahawks therefore he must be invaluable.

Now, just to be perfectly clear i'm not saying Irvin is bad. What I am saying is he won't fix what ails us on the line. He isn't a star player, he's more of a role player. He has only one real pass rushing move and he isn't bad against the run. Nothing wrong with that. He's a guy that is a decent placeholder -- but that is all he is. A starting caliber player that isn't spectacular, that is decent at somethings, lacking in a few others.

I'm essentially telling people that they should temper their expectations for him to be anything more than that.

This exchange became unnecessarily sidetracked by critiquing each others posts. The year is 2020. The subject is Bruce Irvin's return and addition to this year's roster building plan. Let's stay focused on that and encourage everyone to enjoy this roster building signing.

[tweet]https://twitter.com/NatalieAndJer04/status/1240404382291804161[/tweet]

MontanaHawk05

Reaction score
[tweet]https://twitter.com/Deryck_SG/status/1240388920703156229[/tweet]

QuahHawk

Reaction score
MontanaHawk05":y5s4c7cc said:
[tweet]https://twitter.com/Deryck_SG/status/1240388920703156229[/tweet]

I don’t know where that ranks but 10% seems like it would be an improvement from many on our DL right now.

SoulfishHawk

Reaction score
Believe it or not, John and Pete actually know what they are doing. They are not here to satisfy what the fans want. Let em do their jobs and we'll be seeing the team in the playoffs, yet again next year.

TreeRon

Reaction score
How effective Irvin becomes, and Reed for that matter, will all depend on who our "star" rush end is. If we get Clowney or Yannick or someone of that stature, Reed, Irvin (and others) can be very effective. With a so-so rush end they'll all be so-so.

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
TreeRon":g6723nh4 said:
How effective Irvin becomes, and Reed for that matter, will all depend on who our "star" rush end is. If we get Clowney or Yannick or someone of that stature, Reed, Irvin (and others) can be very effective. With a so-so rush end they'll all be so-so.

If we cut Britt and KJ, we can afford both Clowney and Yannick.

Clowney's price is dropping drastically. All the reports are saying that we're pretty much it for teams willing to pony up more than 15M for him. Mainly because any team willing to pay more would want a full physical done by their doctors, and that's not happening with the virus outbreak.

So that gives us an edge. So don't be shocked if Clowney's signed for far less than the 22M+ he was looking for, OR a short 1-2 year contract so he can hit free agency again in a couple years.

Chukarhawk

Reaction score
old and slow. Never was a fan, certainly not one now.

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
Chukarhawk":2li4b4eq said:
old and slow. Never was a fan, certainly not one now.

If 8.5 sacks on a D-line that led the league in sacks is old and slow, sign 4-5 more Irvin's.

People are acting like there's a bunch of amazing pass rushers still out there and in the draft for us to get. As of now we STILL need 2-3 DE's, and that's with signing Irvin.

Knows the system, knows the locker room, still has some gas left in the tank, versatile. Great signing IMO.

sutz

Reaction score
SoulfishHawk":usmsnz49 said:
2 year, 36-40 mil for Clowney. I'd sign up for that right now.
If what I've been reading is correct (big if), this is about what Seattle is offering. For now, it sounds like Clowney is not getting the $22-24mil per he is seeking.

RW4LIFE

Reaction score
Not a bad pick up if the $ is right/low.

He's a good guy with a bit left in the tank.

Latest posts