Bruce Irvin on fire....

hawkfan68

Reaction score
Irvin was awesome today. Nice game for a former 1st round pick. Lived up to it.

vin.couve12

Reaction score
In reality, minus 3 boneheaded plays this year, he's been very, very good all year, let alone being on fire the last two weeks. He was also solid down the stretch last year.

pehawk

Reaction score
Is he okay though? How bad are the burns?

hawk45

Reaction score
pehawk":378nwpsz said:

Hey but serious question you promised that if he was DE on passing downs it was a guaranteed sack. I didn't see that. I don't have DVR but I didn't really catch him pressuring the QB relentlessly today either.

I'm not digging at him because he played a good game with everything else, just pointing out that his pass rush is still of the "can disappear completely" variety. Which is weird because he had been getting pressure this season, so this game, after he actually got himself two sacks last week, was not when I was expecting it to go away.

SonicHawk

Reaction score
He's officially not a bust. Still not what you want out of a 1st rounder, but certainly no bust. That's a good feeling.

pehawk

Reaction score
hawk45":20pkjvwk said:
pehawk":20pkjvwk said:

Hey but serious question you promised that if he was DE on passing downs it was a guaranteed sack. I didn't see that. I don't have DVR but I didn't really catch him pressuring the QB relentlessly today either.

I'm not digging at him because he played a good game with everything else, just pointing out that his pass rush is still of the "can disappear completely" variety. Which is weird because he had been getting pressure this season, so this game, after he actually got himself two sacks last week, was not when I was expecting it to go away.

I meant in a situation where the entire world knows they HAVE to throw it. Like Carolina's last drive, last week.

hawk45

Reaction score
pehawk":1ktyv332 said:
hawk45":1ktyv332 said:
pehawk":1ktyv332 said:

I meant in a situation where the entire world knows they HAVE to throw it. Like Carolina's last drive, last week.

Ohhhhh. Okay well since those situations are typically end of game drives that would be good enough for me.

Edit: not that today's performance wasn't good enough. Irvin played an all around very good game, obviously.

olyfan63

Reaction score
Irvin was also key on "the Tip" in the NFCCG. He's the reason Kraepernick didn't run on that play.
Irvin's just been working his ass off in practice since Day 1 and ignoring the haters.
Tons of athletic talent and tons to learn as a raw, raw football player when he arrived here.

Now we're seeing that his hard work is leading to him learning to be a football player, one who can play LB as well as rushing DE. Carroll & co. spent all last year developing him as a LB, and Irvin's been learning.

He's not the fastest, fastest learner, but he's made steady progress and now we're seeing the improvements of his ongoing efforts of the last 2+ years.

The pick was especially nice, dropping into zone as a LB, tipping and picking the ball.
I also notice when he rushes now that he uses more hand technique to rush inside also, instead of just being a one-trick pony with the outside speed rush.

Now, Bruce just needs to work on his goal line dive to get the ball over and not let a measly QB push him out short of the goal line. He was very, very lucky the the TD wasn't overruled and the ball placed at the half yard line.

SomersetHawk

Reaction score
Bruce's play has markedly improved, but I still don't like his attitude enough to give him a pass. He's a bonehead.

Take this snippet after today's game...

“I really don’t care about the pick-six. I’d rather have a sack. They can have the touchdown, the football and the pick back for one sack.”

http://www.seahawks.com/news/articles/a ... e71c6eca8f

Take away the pick-six and we lose the game, but at least Bruce would have got a sack.

Russ Willstrong

Reaction score
SomersetHawk":jfvow24y said:
Bruce's play has markedly improved, but I still don't like his attitude enough to give him a pass. He's a bonehead.

Take this snippet after today's game...

“I really don’t care about the pick-six. I’d rather have a sack. They can have the touchdown, the football and the pick back for one sack.”

http://www.seahawks.com/news/articles/a ... e71c6eca8f

Take away the pick-six and we lose the game, but at least Bruce would have got a sack.

I take that quote as Bruce ' s desire to play DE or his desire to rush over his willingness to cover. Pressure leads to interceptions and fumbles.
It's not necessarily a measure of his smarts but commentary that points to his desire to play aggressive and physical. Given how we are missing out on sacks this year he may have a point.

SomersetHawk

Reaction score
Russ Willstrong":2s7b1tba said:
I take that quote as Bruce ' s desire to play DE or his desire to rush over his willingness to cover. Pressure leads to interceptions and fumbles.
It's not necessarily a measure of his smarts but commentary that points to his desire to play aggressive and physical. Given how we are missing out on sacks this year he may have a point.

Yep, I'm pretty sure he'd take that back on reflection, but it's a ridiculous thing to say in the first place. Smacks of selfish to me, and that's not very PC.

cdallan

Reaction score
SomersetHawk":39oucvw0 said:
Russ Willstrong":39oucvw0 said:

Yep, I'm pretty sure he'd take that back on reflection, but it's a ridiculous thing to say in the first place. Smacks of selfish to me, and that's not very PC.

Irvin has speed to beat someone off the edge, but the problem has been what happens if someone gets their hands on him. He is still a work in progress in that regard. He tends to get locked up and just try to bull the blocker when they get hands on him. However, I saw him try a spin move yesterday. If he could develop some kind of killer inside move he would be a force.

MontanaHawk05

Reaction score
SonicHawk":28e79j8o said:
Still not what you want out of a 1st rounder, but certainly no bust.

I dunno...he slammed the door on the Panthers last week and then provided the Pick-6 that put us in the lead. Two wins heavily chalked up to Irvin.

chris98251

Reaction score
As a DE and a guy that plays the edge a sack could mean more, downplaying a TD though is kind of dumb.

Jville

Reaction score
As always, turnovers stand out. However, Irvin is playing much more physical this year. For me, his physicality is eye popping. He is really sticking his head in there in a more aggressive fashion.

I like this new and improved Bruce Irvin. He looks to be evolving into a well rounded force.

Blitzer88

Reaction score
He has been playing good football of late. Hope he continues to improve as they season moves along.

Pandion Haliaetus

Reaction score
Bruce has been playing very well this year. Arguably, our best all-around player after Wagner in being able drop into coverage, defend the run, or harass the QB.

If there was ever a smart decision to make Bruce a LBer first player is because when his 5th year option comes around, I'm thinking the top 10 lbers will be making significantly less than the top 10 des.

DangerousDoug

Reaction score
OneLofaTatupu":17grb16y said:
Ok, so he's our Bobby Boucher........

^some Interweb genius should cue up Irvin's last 2 plays of the Carolina game with the sound Bobby Boucher makes when he makes a hit. That would be nice....

Latest posts