Bruce Irvin suspended

NinerLifer

Reaction score
bestfightstory":tmtc12sa said:
NinerLifer":tmtc12sa said:
Not sure why some on this board are trying to take ease in the possibility that it wasn't and that it could have been a steroid or common street drug. That wouldn't be better guys.

Who said it would?

It might just be me not understanding the reason why some on here keep posting that everybody is jumping to conclusions and overreacting because it hasn't been reveals to be Adderoll. Everybody should be hoping it was just Adderoll.

JSeahawks

Reaction score
NinerLifer":2150uonz said:
bestfightstory":2150uonz said:
NinerLifer":2150uonz said:
Not sure why some on this board are trying to take ease in the possibility that it wasn't and that it could have been a steroid or common street drug. That wouldn't be better guys.

Who said it would?

It might just be me not understanding the reason why some on here keep posting that everybody is jumping to conclusions and overreacting because it hasn't been reveals to be Adderoll. Everybody should be hoping it was just Adderoll.

It doesn't really matter what it was. It's 4 games. That's what it is.

vedthree

Reaction score
seahawksflow":39r848uc said:
Right I think that is the conclusion people are starting to come to... that it is not adderall. Instead, adderall was likely "leaked" to help with media. In reality it could of been something else. I would hope these guys aren't stupid enough to continue taking suspensions one after the other for just adderall. That makes absolutely zero sense to me. I would think the mindset would be that whatever they are taking has got to be worth not just negatively impacting themselves, but the entire organization and its fans. So if someone argues adderall could provide no benefit for the player, then why in the world would he be taking that with the said consequences...?

The generation of kids who grew up in the 90's & 00's (i.e., people Irvin, Sherman, etc's age) probably have a completely different view of Adderall than the rest of us. They've been living in a world where Doctors handed it out to any kid that wouldn't sit still for 10mins.

I saw it first-hand while I was in law school. I'm in my mid-30's, so I missed out on the spike of ADHD/Adderall scrips when I was in middle/high school. I spent a few years working after undergrad, so I was one of the older students in my 1L group. One of the first things I noticed as soon as I got back in - Adderall was everywhere. The people that were 25 & younger popped it like candy. I swear, it felt like all of them either had an open script or carried a bottle in their pocket. They'd shovel a couple in their mouth before every exam or study session. If I was sitting in the library and started to even look tired, I'd usually have 2-3 people ask me if I wanted one. People bummed pills off each other like they were cigarettes. And their attitude was that it was no different than downing a strong cup of coffee or Red Bull.

Maybe I'm a sucker getting fooled by the PR spin - but based on my past experiences, I can easily believe that younger guys are used to popping a couple Adderalls whenever they're tired just like I used to down a pot of coffee and take a few No-Doze whenever I had to pull an all-nighter.

I also recently read an article that explained that the whole idea that Adderall is a "masking agent" for other 'roids is a a bit of misconception. They way the article explained it, Adderall doesn't "mask" anything. If you're popping 'roids, those will show up clearly on the test no matter how much Adderall you've taken. Instead, Adderall is on the NFL's banned (without a prescription) list in the category of "stimulants" and it's listed under "masking agents" only because of its diuretic properties (it makes you piss more frequently). So purposely taking it to beat a 'roid test is the equivalent of chugging a bunch of water to try and flush your system. The way the article explained it, if you were actually trying to "mask" 'roids, there are a lot of other substances that would be more effective than Adderall.

bestfightstory

Reaction score
NinerLifer":i1pbjx1w said:
bestfightstory":i1pbjx1w said:
NinerLifer":i1pbjx1w said:

Who said it would?

It is you not understanding. I feel confident in saying that because I am one of the primary ones here who keeps trumpeting the line that it probably isn't Adderall. And I don't have the agenda (taking ease) you imagine. My only interest with that line of conversation is to insure that we are all discussing the truth, and remind or inform people that we don't necessarily have it, when we don't see the results. Therefore we cannot safely assume that it was something as benign (albeit banned) as Adderall.

<excellent info contribution, vedthree)

McGruff

Reaction score
vedthree":3bq7bxm5 said:
seahawksflow":3bq7bxm5 said:
Right I think that is the conclusion people are starting to come to... that it is not adderall. Instead, adderall was likely "leaked" to help with media. In reality it could of been something else. I would hope these guys aren't stupid enough to continue taking suspensions one after the other for just adderall. That makes absolutely zero sense to me. I would think the mindset would be that whatever they are taking has got to be worth not just negatively impacting themselves, but the entire organization and its fans. So if someone argues adderall could provide no benefit for the player, then why in the world would he be taking that with the said consequences...?

The generation of kids who grew up in the 90's & 00's (i.e., people Irvin, Sherman, etc's age) probably have a completely different view of Adderall than the rest of us. They've been living in a world where Doctors handed it out to any kid that wouldn't sit still for 10mins.

I saw it first-hand while I was in law school. I'm in my mid-30's, so I missed out on the spike of ADHD/Adderall scrips when I was in middle/high school. I spent a few years working after undergrad, so I was one of the older students in my 1L group. One of the first things I noticed as soon as I got back in - Adderall was everywhere. The people that were 25 & younger popped it like candy. I swear, it felt like all of them either had an open script or carried a bottle in their pocket. They'd shovel a couple in their mouth before every exam or study session. If I was sitting in the library and started to even look tired, I'd usually have 2-3 people ask me if I wanted one. People bummed pills off each other like they were cigarettes. And their attitude was that it was no different than downing a strong cup of coffee or Red Bull.

Maybe I'm a sucker getting fooled by the PR spin - but based on my past experiences, I can easily believe that younger guys are used to popping a couple Adderalls whenever they're tired just like I used to down a pot of coffee and take a few No-Doze whenever I had to pull an all-nighter.

I also recently read an article that explained that the whole idea that Adderall is a "masking agent" for other 'roids is a a bit of misconception. They way the article explained it, Adderall doesn't "mask" anything. If you're popping 'roids, those will show up clearly on the test no matter how much Adderall you've taken. Instead, Adderall is on the NFL's banned (without a prescription) list in the category of "stimulants" and it's listed under "masking agents" only because of its diuretic properties (it makes you piss more frequently). So purposely taking it to beat a 'roid test is the equivalent of chugging a bunch of water to try and flush your system. The way the article explained it, if you were actually trying to "mask" 'roids, there are a lot of other substances that would be more effective than Adderall.

I think "masking" is the wrong word. No one is saying adderall makes a bad pee test go away. What people are saying is that since the NFL doesn't publicly reveal the contents of dirty tests, players/agents leak adderall to the press because eit doesn't have the stigma of HGH or roids.

It's not chemical masking. It's PR masking.

JSeahawks

Reaction score
So if it works as a stimulant perhaps they're taking it to get their energy up for those 10 am games? It's all Goodell's fault!!

Bigpumpkin

Reaction score
Although we don't know exactly what really happened. Just suppose that Bruce was told that "this new drug had special abilities" and that it could NOT be detected by present testing methods? He might have also been told that several other "big name" players were using this same drug and they had past NFL screening tests. That would be a very difficult choice for him to make.

bestfightstory

Reaction score
Bigpumpkin":21zfttk3 said:
Although we don't know exactly what really happened. Just suppose that Bruce was told that "this new drug had special abilities" and that it could NOT be detected by present testing methods? He might have also been told that several other "big name" players were using this same drug and they had past NFL screening tests. That would be a very difficult choice for him to make.

Yes it would. And, if I am honest with myself, there is a part of me that would Want him to take it!

He might also have been at a party and did a couple lines of blow and got caught.

We don't know.

I just think we do ourselves a disservice to buy the Adderall company line as gospel.

MizzouHawkGal

Reaction score
McGruff":2svra5ao said:
vedthree":2svra5ao said:
seahawksflow":2svra5ao said:

I think "masking" is the wrong word. No one is saying adderall makes a bad pee test go away. What people are saying is that since the NFL doesn't publicly reveal the contents of dirty tests, players/agents leak adderall to the press because eit doesn't have the stigma of HGH or roids.

Exactly, right or wrong adderall is akin to beer mostly harmless in sane doses while steroids etc carry a serious stigma. So it's used as a safeword regardless of whatever drug "popped" in the test.

Spectre

Reaction score
vedthree":3t672lpz said:
seahawksflow":3t672lpz said:

I certainly don't speak for my generation (I'm 24, born in 1989 - I think that qualifies me as a 90's kid) and I never had ADD, but my brother did and I was free to take one whenever I needed/wanted to focus in school or something without hassle from parents, my brother, and teachers. Pretty much like an energy drink effect. Honestly, I don't see Adderall as a big problem, and the way I see it it's far different to take steroids.

Think of it this way: There's a line between taking something to make you crush another man harder and taking something to help you see everything around you better. You'd almost think that it'd be a good thing for football. The more you see and notice, the less likely you are to get injured.

Omahawk

Reaction score
Big damn deal. He wasn't even a hint of a factor last year. Except for the Green Bay game. I will give him that much. But that lasted a total of one entire first half. Other than that he has been a no-show. Waste of a first round pick. Another Aaron Curry. Except Curry just plain sucked. This guy actually has talent. Either way. I have cut my losses with the kid. Next time, just pick the next best player available. Don't try to pull off stupid stunts in the first round. You're dead to me, Bruce. Prove me wrong.

Stoned Cold

Reaction score
vedthree":1m8kdsek said:

Sounds like the bright future of the marijuana generation of Washington circa 2013 going forward.

bigtrain21

Reaction score
Omahawk":10zgg1pk said:
Big damn deal. He wasn't even a hint of a factor last year. Except for the Green Bay game. I will give him that much. But that lasted a total of one entire first half. Other than that he has been a no-show. Waste of a first round pick. Another Aaron Curry. Except Curry just plain sucked. This guy actually has talent. Either way. I have cut my losses with the kid. Next time, just pick the next best player available. Don't try to pull off stupid stunts in the first round. You're dead to me, Bruce. Prove me wrong.

Are you being serious?

therealjohncarlson

Reaction score
I really dont get why anyone with a half a brain would believe he really was busted for adderall. It doesnt make sense that all of our players would be risking suspensions for a drug with such marginal upsides that most people could probably get a doctor's note for anyway. (Most people these day's have some kind of ADD according to doctors these days)

Put me in the camp that unfortunately thinks Irvin and probably Sherman and all the rest probably took some kind of steroid and got busted. Since the league can't release what it is, guess what? Its the most minor thing possible according to the players.

HawKnPeppa

Reaction score
Not pointing the finger at any specific poster or post in this thread, but I really get tired of hearing dumbasses call somebody 'a bust' after their first season. It's beyond flippant, and I'm glad nobody with his mindset is employed by the Hawks.

HawKnPeppa

Reaction score
JSeahawks":1s2gv3t7 said:
So if it works as a stimulant perhaps they're taking it to get their energy up for those 10 am games? It's all Goodell's fault!!

^^^^ This, haha! Best post in the thread! :mrgreen:

BlueTalon

Reaction score
Spectre":2xm23xc5 said:
McGruff":2xm23xc5 said:
vedthree":2xm23xc5 said:

I certainly don't speak for my generation (I'm 24, born in 1989 - I think that qualifies me as a 90's kid) and I never had ADD, but my brother did and I was free to take one whenever I needed/wanted to focus in school or something without hassle from parents, my brother, and teachers. Pretty much like an energy drink effect. Honestly, I don't see Adderall as a big problem, and the way I see it it's far different to take steroids.

Think of it this way: There's a line between taking something to make you crush another man harder and taking something to help you see everything around you better. You'd almost think that it'd be a good thing for football. The more you see and notice, the less likely you are to get injured.
Three of the best perspective posts in the thread, IMO.

Giedi

Reaction score
JSeahawks":2txpa109 said:
NinerLifer":2txpa109 said:
bestfightstory":2txpa109 said:

It doesn't really matter what it was. It's 4 games. That's what it is.
Seattle has talent to ride this out for four weeks, but I'd be concerned about depth. Where it will matter is in the 4rt quarter. You'd want to rest the talent during the 3rd qtr so that they will be fresh when you need them in the fourth quarter.