Bumpus Nails Perspective

AROS

Administrator
Administrator
Reaction score
First off, Bumpus said during Friday’s Bump and Stacy on Seattle Sports 710 AM, no one expects the Seahawks to be a playoff team or Super Bowl contender in 2022.

“That’s one reason why you should calm down,” he said. “Change your expectations of this team. Understand where this team is.”

Additionally, many players who played on Thursday won’t be contributing or even make the final roster, Bumpus said.

“Eleven guys who recorded a tackle … will not see the field during the regular season,” he said. “… Around six guys who recorded a catch, you’re not going to depend on during the regular season, or some of these guys aren’t going to be there. Three linemen who played last night, you’re not going to depend on or you’re not going to see them during the regular season.”

Ruminator

Reaction score
That's what I tell myself sometimes: while preseason games are generally good for player eval and coaches and scheme/format/play familiarization, comfort, and progress, much of them are a waste of a fan's time. I'm sure many will disagree, but that's just what I tell myself sometimes, and yet, I watch bits anyway.

Appyhawk

Reaction score
Ranch in Flint Hills of Kansas, formerly NW Montan
Pre-season games are nothing but a glorified practice with unfamiliar faces to practice against. But after the long stretch of down time between the draft and regular season Having the pre-season games to watch is not only most folk's first view of the potential roster, it is an appetizer for the upcoming regular season football feast. Fun stuff!
I'd like to know if Drew Lock enjoyed watching the Thursday night session and if he found it encouraging or if it made him feel sicker.

had2bhawk

Reaction score
Pre-season games are nothing but a glorified practice with unfamiliar faces to practice against. But after the long stretch of down timehead between the draft and regular season Having the pre-season games to watch is not only most folk's first view of the potential roster, it is an appetizer for the upcoming regular season football feast. Fun stuff!
I'd like to know if Drew Lock enjoyed watching the Thursday night session and if he found it encouraging or if it made him feel sicker.
If his head is right, he's encouraged!

Pandion Haliaetus

Reaction score
Bumpus comes off a bit harsh but the reality of it correct. Other than a handful players the majority of the snaps have gone to rookies that will be challenged through the highs and lows of their learning curve adjusting to their first season and/or players like Bumpus mentioned who are more or less camp bodies that are getting snaps to see if someone can establish value which unfortunately that hasn’t been the case.

And I still adhere to notion that the majority of these guys whom are young and inexperienced had a tough time with the 5,000 miles of travel to Pittsburgh and back, playing a physical game, and then having to be ready to play again on two less days of preparation as part of the reason they looked a little flat, uninspired, and mistake prone.

Last edited:

Mistashoesta

Reaction score
Things that I also tend to watch for are things like clock management, play calling, and overall staff and support crew efficiency. Many times during the early part of the season coaches make mistakes like failing to call a timeout on time, or taking to long to convey the scheme to the players on the field. Pre-season is a great time to work on those things and get things ironed out before the regular season begins.

balakoth

Reaction score
Same tantrum around this board yearly. People some how viewing pre season as some measuring stick. Either you should stop watching football or.. start watching futboul

scutterhawk

Reaction score
That's what I tell myself sometimes: while preseason games are generally good for player eval and coaches and scheme/format/play familiarization, comfort, and progress, much of them are a waste of a fan's time. I'm sure many will disagree, but that's just what I tell myself sometimes, and yet, I watch bits anyway.
I watch more than "Bits" as you say, because I'm curious what it is that the Coaches are specifically gauging in our Draftees, and of course, if any of the walk-ons that get once in a lifetime tryout, have that 'IT' factor, & honestly, after the long OFF-season, I need my Football Fix, and specifically to see my Seahawks easing their way back into action.

scutterhawk

Reaction score
Same tantrum around this board yearly. People some how viewing pre season as some measuring stick. Either you should stop watching football or.. start watching futboul
So hmm, Like most folks here, you don't fancy yourself as somewhat of a Talent Evaluator, or like to see how well you 'Stack-Up' up against the Coaches who are grading players in & out of the process?
Preseason is exactly a "Measuring Stick" in that players are being evaluated (measured) to see if they are able to ''Cut the Mustard".
I guess I just don't feel the dread, To me, preseason is the beginning of the Football season and a Kickoff to the FUN of being a Seahawks FAN.

SoulfishHawk

Reaction score
Should be a fun season. They will take their lumps I'm sure, but they also are going to develop some really good talent. Talent that is going to get their reps in. Plus, several draft picks in 2023. Future is bright imo.