But.... we start slow...

scutterhawk

Reaction score
Ambrose83":1qy24p9e said:
Why do we as fans except This as Ok? And what is,the reason behind it? New England doesn't need 4 plus games a year to get into form... isn't that what the preseason is for? So fellow 12s.. Why the slow starts and why are you ok with them?
And how fast did Rodgers & his super duper Packers Offense get going in the first half when we played them?
McCarthy said that the Seahawks Defense pretty much dictated the rhythm & pace in the whole first half of the game, Yes, the Seahawks Offensive line was faltering on 3 out of 4 plays, but Rodgers had ONE Rookie on his O-Line...What was his excuse?

bmorepunk

Reaction score
MontanaHawk05":1tjszpxk said:
RussB":1tjszpxk said:
sutz":1tjszpxk said:
Because Pete is a boxer. The first few rounds you dance around, you trade some punches, you study your opponents, and you study YOURSELF. If your goal is the Super Bowl, a loss or two in September won't hurt your chances that much. Sure, it kills your chance of going undefeated, but how realistic of a goal is that? Accepting the fact that nobody really knows their own team completely on September 1st isn't giving up on the season.

Sorry if it disturbs some fans' feelings, but the annual "We're falling apart!" protests from the peanut gallery are as predictable as our slow starts. Kind of go hand in hand, as it were. Declaring that it won't get better this season is also a typical fan reaction. Much like the old days, when predicting a weekly loss would make you right more times than not, eventually these predictions of the team's demise will also be correct.

Me? I'll believe it when I see it. For now, I'm still enjoying the ride.

Oh, and I don't do fantasy football or Madden, so stats don't mean that much to me and I don't dream up pie in the sky scenarios of trading for a super star at every position by next week.
These games are important, they all matter in the end when you are trying to secure a first round bye. And this team needs one. They are not winning 2 playoff games on the road no way.

So, how many losses are acceptable, then? 1? 2? Because unless you expect your team to either go 19-0 or be denounced as a good team (which is silly), you're gonna lose some games.

If you have to lose games, Tennessee is a good opponent to lose to. They're a quality team, with excellent coordinators on both sides, and their being an AFC team reduces the damage to us in postseason tiebreakers.

Everybody wants to be the Patriots. Everybody wants to float in and out of every week and not have to deal with the slightest doubt that their team is Super Bowl-bound. I agree it'd be a nice existence. I agree it'd be better for my blood pressure and that I don't like the current offensive struggles. But not even the Patriots win the bloody Lombardi EVERY year. Confidence doesn't equate to victory. Eventually you have to execute in two vital January games, and even the Patriots don't always manage that.

The Patriots went nearly a decade between winning Super Bowls. If they are the best run of teams ever, that really shows you how they're not even that great of a standard. Much like the Seahawks Super Bowl season, reality and how people perceive how it goes down are two completely different things.

I "accept" this team for what it is because I have no say in it. There are things that I don't like and would like to be better. But I do the same thing I've done since I was a kid. I watch them, hope they make the playoffs, then hope they win a playoff game (which didn't happen once for like 18 years), then hope they get into and win the Super Bowl. There's a lot of interesting and fun things along the way. Even when this team was perpetually mediocre to bad, it was still fun to watch. I don't have control over any aspect unless I choose not to give money or time to the team anymore. So it's either watch or don't.

It seems like some people are annoyed that some of us aren't complaining enough. Look, I get it. The offensive line sucks. The coaching staff sucks. They're throwing away a "once in a generation defense" because they let it suck.

There's plenty of things to be critical about and good conversations about them. It goes on every day. We don't all need to be complaining. People are right: there's a lot of season left and this team has dinked around in the past and turned it around. Who knows. I know it's fun to watch.

We don't all have to be perpetually miserable and write the team off. Some of us are allowed to enjoy this stuff.

Josea16

Reaction score
bmorepunk":drakdq4s said:
MontanaHawk05":drakdq4s said:
RussB":drakdq4s said:
sutz":drakdq4s said:
Because Pete is a boxer. The first few rounds you dance around, you trade some punches, you study your opponents, and you study YOURSELF. If your goal is the Super Bowl, a loss or two in September won't hurt your chances that much. Sure, it kills your chance of going undefeated, but how realistic of a goal is that? Accepting the fact that nobody really knows their own team completely on September 1st isn't giving up on the season.

Sorry if it disturbs some fans' feelings, but the annual "We're falling apart!" protests from the peanut gallery are as predictable as our slow starts. Kind of go hand in hand, as it were. Declaring that it won't get better this season is also a typical fan reaction. Much like the old days, when predicting a weekly loss would make you right more times than not, eventually these predictions of the team's demise will also be correct.

Me? I'll believe it when I see it. For now, I'm still enjoying the ride.

Oh, and I don't do fantasy football or Madden, so stats don't mean that much to me and I don't dream up pie in the sky scenarios of trading for a super star at every position by next week.
These games are important, they all matter in the end when you are trying to secure a first round bye. And this team needs one. They are not winning 2 playoff games on the road no way.

So, how many losses are acceptable, then? 1? 2? Because unless you expect your team to either go 19-0 or be denounced as a good team (which is silly), you're gonna lose some games.

If you have to lose games, Tennessee is a good opponent to lose to. They're a quality team, with excellent coordinators on both sides, and their being an AFC team reduces the damage to us in postseason tiebreakers.

Everybody wants to be the Patriots. Everybody wants to float in and out of every week and not have to deal with the slightest doubt that their team is Super Bowl-bound. I agree it'd be a nice existence. I agree it'd be better for my blood pressure and that I don't like the current offensive struggles. But not even the Patriots win the bloody Lombardi EVERY year. Confidence doesn't equate to victory. Eventually you have to execute in two vital January games, and even the Patriots don't always manage that.

The Patriots went nearly a decade between winning Super Bowls. If they are the best run of teams ever, that really shows you how they're not even that great of a standard. Much like the Seahawks Super Bowl season, reality and how people perceive how it goes down are two completely different things.

I "accept" this team for what it is because I have no say in it. There are things that I don't like and would like to be better. But I do the same thing I've done since I was a kid. I watch them, hope they make the playoffs, then hope they win a playoff game (which didn't happen once for like 18 years), then hope they get into and win the Super Bowl. There's a lot of interesting and fun things along the way. Even when this team was perpetually mediocre to bad, it was still fun to watch. I don't have control over any aspect unless I choose not to give money or time to the team anymore. So it's either watch or don't.

It seems like some people are annoyed that some of us aren't complaining enough. Look, I get it. The offensive line sucks. The coaching staff sucks. They're throwing away a "once in a generation defense" because they let it suck.

There's plenty of things to be critical about and good conversations about them. It goes on every day. We don't all need to be complaining. People are right: there's a lot of season left and this team has dinked around in the past and turned it around. Who knows. I know it's fun to watch.

We don't all have to be perpetually miserable and write the team off. Some of us are allowed to enjoy this stuff.
Thank you. Just look at the upcoming schedule it has a big run is coming written all over it. The only team in the next 4-5 games that is worrisome are the Rams.

West TX Hawk

Reaction score
rcaido":3h7d4bea said:
Last year we started 4-1....

Just to compare your so beloved Patriots

2013 - 4-0
2014 - 2-2--went 12-4, SB Champions
2015 - 4-0
2016 - 3-1- went 14-2, SB Champions

FIFY. How confident are you this team is going at least 11-2 the rest of the year? Perhaps if our coaching staff had better gameplans in place to attack in the beginning of games and the season, we wouldn't fall apart on the road in the 2nd round of the playoffs against teams who do start out strong.

We cannot continually rely on late game desperation flourishes-you end up getting burned with this so-called "feel us out, feel the opponent out" bs. This isn't boxing and rope a dope-we need to try to win each round, not hope for a low percentage Wilson heroic knockout. Again, 0-4 in the divisional round on the road:

At ATL, 2012 season: down 20-0 halftime, lost
At Carolina 2015 season: down 31-0 halftime, lost
At ATL, 2016 season: down 19-10 halftime, 26-13 after 3, lost
Even pre Wilson, Carroll's team: At Chi, 2010 season playoff: down 21-0 halftime, 28-3 after 3, lost.

And 2-11 on the road in September.

So Pete's "finish strong" mantra has a serious flaw in its construction. Because history has proven we're not winning on the road in the playoffs past the wildcard.

Siouxhawk

Reaction score
Quit acting like you have a say in this. Like it's a board meeting. You don't have a say, other than choosing to or not to watch.

Hawks46

Reaction score
NE doesn't annually replace 3 starters on their OL.

We're always looking for better talent and use a lot of projects so we have too much turnover on our OL. This leads to us typically taking about 6 games to find our footing and figure out where we are as an offense.

I'm more worried about our defense starting out badly. Richardson is a veteran, i wouldn't think integrating him would be difficult.

strohmin

Reaction score
It was fine before because we were a really great team and other teams used to play us really hard after they knew our identity and we still found a way to pull it off in the end. Also it was always the offense that started slow while our defense was amazing for entire games. Now our defense is not as good and our offense is worse. There is a clear difference between 2012 - 2014 slow starts and the 2015 - beyond slow starts. I wouldn't be surprised if we get our ass kicked a few more times this year along with a first or second round exit in the playoffs.

seahawkfreak

Reaction score
Hawks46":2hghm0oc said:
NE doesn't annually replace 3 starters on their OL.

We're always looking for better talent and use a lot of projects so we have too much turnover on our OL. This leads to us typically taking about 6 games to find our footing and figure out where we are as an offense.

I'm more worried about our defense starting out badly. Richardson is a veteran, i wouldn't think integrating him would be difficult.

It really hasn't. SR as I will now call him, has produced very well for this team. Press rewind on your TV and personally watch the guy a couple times. He is the best defensive lineman on our team, bar none, at least right now.

Rocket

Reaction score
I believe the "Startup Slump" is either caused by the rain or the old burial ground curse.

'Cept the Slump pre-dated VMAC... so who knows.

themunn

Reaction score
New England with the slow start to the season yet again

MontanaHawk05

Reaction score
strohmin":2t03xmoa said:
There is a clear difference between 2012 - 2014 slow starts and the 2015 - beyond slow starts.

There really isn't.

We struggled embarrassingly against Houston in 2013 and barely beat the 0-8 Bucs at home, as well as the Titans 13-10. There were naysayers back then, too, saying that our current production couldn't possibly equate to a playoff victory. They were dead wrong. And they might be dead wrong this year.

Last week, we got misaligned on a couple of defensive plays and Pro Bowl running backs made us pay. We got beaten by DeMarco frickin' Murray and Aaron frickin' Rodgers, not Christine Michael and Brian Hoyer. Good teams in their house.

I'm not so sure why you guys WANT this team to be losing. I'm not so sure why you guys WANT to prove that the window is closed. Is it because you hope a coaching change will fix everything if we suck hard enough?

Serious question, though I'm guessing I know the answer.