By these calculations temp drop might explain "Deflategate"

Vancanhawksfan

Reaction score
Maybe somebody smarter than me can check these calculations, but it seems to me that there is a possibility that the ball pressure discrepancy could be explained if the referees originally tested the balls @ 12.5 psi in a heated locker room of 69.57 F, but were re-checked at half-time at 11 psi at a recorded outside temperature of 52 F...in other words... if the referees F'd up.

Here are my calculations...

Assumptions:

1. Let's assume that all balls tested were done pregame in the referees locker room just a little before 2hrs before gametime (4:53pm or 16:53) at 12.5 psi;
(NFL rules state that balls are turned over to teams 2 hrs 15 mins before gametime)

2. And then let's also assume all "deflated" balls were tested outside and found to be 11 psi at 7:53 pm EST (19:53)

Weather Observations January 18, 2015 - Foxboro, Massachusetts

http://www.weatherforyou.com/reports/in ... &icao=KOWD

@ 16:53
Temp in referees locker room: to be determined
Atmospheric air pressure: 29.83 in

@ 19:53
Outside temperature: 52F = 284.61K
Atmospheric air pressure: 29.68 in

Ideal Gas Law

PV = nRT

rewritten as P/T = nR/V = constant

Therefore:
P(1)/T(1) = P(2)/T(2)

(29.83 in + 11 in)/284.61K = (29.68 in + 12.5 in)/T(2)

T(2) = 295.10K = 69.57 F = possible referee locker room temperature

It seems to me that it is very realistic that the ref's locker room temperature was 70 F. Let's face it - refs aren't physics majors and they may very well not have considered that the balls would have had to be warmed to the ref's locker room temperature before being retested again.

rideaducati

Reaction score
If that were the case, why weren't the Colts footballs 2psi less than they inflated theirs?

RunTheBall

Reaction score
The game temp was at like 50, the temp would need to drop to like -10 to explain 11 of the 12 balls being deflated that much. It's sad a Pats fan has to make a Seahawks handle name and come to our forum to try to pretend to be unbiased.

imnKOgnito

Reaction score
What part of that calculation distinguishes between the balls the Patriots were using and the balls the Colts were using? I haven't heard that they doublechecked the balls the Colts were using, but I hope they would have done so.

Chawks1

Reaction score
Why did it effect only 11 out of the 12 Pats balls. But not the 6 kickers footballs or the 12 from Indy? Your math must be applied equally to all. Not just the 11 they were caught with.

OP
OP
V

Vancanhawksfan

Reaction score
Note that my title said that it "might" explain it...I didnt claim it was definitive!

That said...who knows why the Colt's balls tested ok. Maybe they were tested in the refs room at a later time and the Pat's balls werent ..or maybe they were allowed to warm up in the room for a longer period of time. Maybe they were originally at a higher psi...I dont know.

but it seems to me that it is quite plausible that this could have occured with the Patrio's testing. The numbers correlate too closely to just assume its a coincidencw without proving it not to be

Rocket

Reaction score
The Pats balls were measured at a lower pressure than the Colts balls after the 1st half because a nefarious character deflated them so the Pats could gain an advantage... that's why they call it DeflateGate. Duh
Since most players that aren't Pats or Pats alumni see this as cheating and most non-Pat quarterbacks say it would be obvious to a quarterback that his ball was deflated, it would seem that Mr CleanCutModelHubby was caught with his hand in the cookieBall jar.
IMHO, of course.

endzorn

Reaction score
By my calculations
(No one gives a shit)*(it has no effect on the Super Bowl)=(Any punishment won't come until after this game)*(What the hell does this debate matter to the Seahawks)

When we reduce this down it's plain to see that:
It doesn't matter at all = The Seahawks don't care

In conclusion we can clearly see that the only people who this affects are people we don't give a shit about in a time that doesn't matter to us.

brimsalabim

Reaction score
What are the odds of the weather deflating all 11 of those footballs equally though?

Seanhawk

Reaction score
brimsalabim":1eov5ve6 said:
What are the odds of the weather deflating all 11 of those footballs equally though?

Ummm, did you not see endzorn's calculations?

OP
OP
V

Vancanhawksfan

Reaction score
RunTheBall":3ir6elm2 said:
The game temp was at like 50, the temp would need to drop to like -10 to explain 11 of the 12 balls being deflated that much. It's sad a Pats fan has to make a Seahawks handle name and come to our forum to try to pretend to be unbiased.

1. I've been following the Seahawks from 1979 since I was 8 years old. I've suffered through the years of Rick Mirer quarterbacking and Tom Flores management, and cringe every time I'm reminded about the Dan McGwire/Brett Favre draft. I recognize the greatness of Jacob Green, Joe Nash and Kenny Easley and boycotted the NFL for a year after Super Bowl XL. So seriously - go F$@^ yourself with your self-righteous indignation just because I signed up for an internet forum just recently. And for the record if you check my post history I'd also ripped into Brady and the Patriots too as I'd been trying to have a balanced discussion about this issue.

2. Your reference and their math is completely wrong. The temperature definitely would not have to drop to -10. Whoever did your calculations did not take into account the existing air pressure in Foxboro when they did it.

Seriously - do no internet football forums have anybody that might have a balanced, unbiased discussion about anything?!?!?! Geeezus...personally I can't stand the Pats and if Brady is caught cheating I think he should be banned (and I've said this in other posts). But I also believe that if he's innocent then this lynching he is getting would be completely unfair.

OP
OP
V

Vancanhawksfan

Reaction score
Sarlacc83":3hz9w4nu said:
Already been calculated at ~80 degrees F for the temp change.

Your calculation is wrong because you didn't take into account the existing air pressure in Foxboro.

RunTheBall

Reaction score
Vancanhawksfan":1w83f5xr said:
RunTheBall":1w83f5xr said:

1. I've been following the Seahawks from 1979 since I was 8 years old. I've suffered through the years of Rick Mirer quarterbacking and Tom Flores management, and cringe every time I'm reminded about the Dan McGwire/Brett Favre draft. I recognize the greatness of Jacob Green, Joe Nash and Kenny Easley and boycotted the NFL for a year after Super Bowl XL. So seriously - go F$@^ yourself with your self-righteous indignation just because I signed up for an internet forum just recently. And for the record if you check my post history I'd also ripped into Brady and the Patriots too as I'd been trying to have a balanced discussion about this issue.

2. Your reference and their math is completely wrong. The temperature definitely would not have to drop to -10. Whoever did your calculations did not take into account the existing air pressure in Foxboro when they did it.

Seriously - do no internet football forums have anybody that might have a balanced, unbiased discussion about anything?!?!?! Geeezus...personally I can't stand the Pats and if Brady is caught cheating I think he should be banned (and I've said this in other posts). But I also believe that if he's innocent then this lynching he is getting would be completely unfair.
You seem mad, there is no way the 11 of 12 balls drop 2 full PSI in 50 degree weather, it just isn't possible. Cool it on the personal attacks too bro, you mad you got exposed?

OP
OP
V

Vancanhawksfan

Reaction score
endzorn":1r72w176 said:
By my calculations
(No one gives a shit)*(it has no effect on the Super Bowl)=(Any punishment won't come until after this game)*(What the hell does this debate matter to the Seahawks)

When we reduce this down it's plain to see that:
It doesn't matter at all = The Seahawks don't care

In conclusion we can clearly see that the only people who this affects are people we don't give a shit about in a time that doesn't matter to us.

I agree. And personally I'd get more enjoyment if all this discussion of deflategate disappeared so we can just talk football - but nobody seems to want to.

It seems to me that if its proven that the Pats didn't do this intentionally then everybody would just forget about this issue - hence why I raised it. If the team is innocent then just let them play and let the best team win.

bmorepunk

Reaction score
Vancanhawksfan":2fpbwhkj said:
Maybe somebody smarter than me can check these calculations, but it seems to me that there is a possibility that the ball pressure discrepancy could be explained if the referees originally tested the balls @ 12.5 psi in a heated locker room of 69.57 F, but were re-checked at half-time at 11 psi at a recorded outside temperature of 52 F...in other words... if the referees F'd up.

Here are my calculations...

Assumptions:

1. Let's assume that all balls tested were done pregame in the referees locker room just a little before 2hrs before gametime (4:53pm or 16:53) at 12.5 psi;
(NFL rules state that balls are turned over to teams 2 hrs 15 mins before gametime)

2. And then let's also assume all "deflated" balls were tested outside and found to be 11 psi at 7:53 pm EST (19:53)

Weather Observations January 18, 2015 - Foxboro, Massachusetts

http://www.weatherforyou.com/reports/in ... &icao=KOWD

@ 16:53
Temp in referees locker room: to be determined
Atmospheric air pressure: 29.83 in

@ 19:53
Outside temperature: 52F = 284.61K
Atmospheric air pressure: 29.68 in

Ideal Gas Law

PV = nRT

rewritten as P/T = nR/V = constant

Therefore:
P(1)/T(1) = P(2)/T(2)

(29.83 in + 11 in)/284.61K = (29.68 in + 12.5 in)/T(2)

T(2) = 295.10K = 69.57 F = possible referee locker room temperature

It seems to me that it is very realistic that the ref's locker room temperature was 70 F. Let's face it - refs aren't physics majors and they may very well not have considered that the balls would have had to be warmed to the ref's locker room temperature before being retested again.

Adding barometric pressure to the calculation certainly takes into effect that the kind of pressure gauge used to check the balls are relative. However, you have made a huge mistake in adding barometric pressure (which is measured in inHg) and psi together. You have to convert inHg to psi first.

29.83 inHg = 14.65 psi
29.68 inHg = 14.58 psi

Difference in measurement due to barometric pressure: 14.65 psi - 14.58 psi = 0.07 psi (and I'm spotting you the round up here). The barometric pressure's effect is two orders of magnitude below that of a 2 psi measurement, and really not worth putting into the calculation for something like this.

The temperature drop to account for 2 psi is:

Code:
P1/T1 = P2/T2
T2 = (T1*P2) / P1 = (295.37 Kelvin * 72,394.95 pascals) /  86,184.47 pascals = 248.11 Kelvin

which is about -13 F.

The resulting pressure, if started at 12.5 psi, going from 72 F (295.37 K) to 52 F (284.26) would be:

Code:
P2 = (P1*T2) / T1
P2 = (86,184.47 pascals * 284.26 K) / 295.37 K
P2 = 82942.74 pascals

That's about 12.0 psi.

Latest posts