Cam Newton deal complete (5 yr ext. $103.8 million)

hawknation2015

Reaction score
kearly":vlh2dkkj said:
Sgt. Largent":vlh2dkkj said:
.........and why Cutler's making 18M a year.

I know people are saying Newton's contract might help get Russell done, but my guess is Russell and his agent are taking the stance that Russell is superior to Newton in ever category, especially the intangibles like leadership, preparation, clutch, etc.

Exactly, this news only makes Seattle's 20m AYP offer seem all the more laughable. As more time passes, the more leverage Wilson's camp gets.

With regards to Cutler, he's not nearly as bad as his reputation, IMO. Fans and media hate nothing worse than a franchise player who by appearances doesn't seem to give a shit. Not caring enough is the cardinal sin of sports.

We don't know how much the Seahawks offered, much less whether the offer was laughable. It could have easily been a five year, $115 million extension ($23 million APY) . . . meanwhile, Russell's baseball agent has indicated that he wants the final year included in the deal, which would actually be more like $28 million APY if the final year were excluded.

If they don't budge on that critical distinction, I imagine Russell will be getting the franchise treatment.

Hasselbeck

Reaction score
mikeak":1z5etx24 said:
aawolf":1z5etx24 said:
Panthers have been in cap hell for the past few years--paying RBs and Hardy to sit on the bench and Steve Smith to play for the Ravens.

Now, Gettlemen is finally getting the house in order. Next step: Keuchly. That one is going to set records for LB contracts IMO. They secure the QB of the Offense and the Defense, and they'll be in good shape.

You mean as in keeping the two players that led them to a losing record this year?

I know I am oversimplifying things but that is what put them in cap hell to begin with. They had a bad year and extended multiple players to huge deals after the bad year.....

Overall point being - two good players won't make a team. The question will be how the receiving core will do this year

Definitely oversimplifying things.. Kuechly is the best MLB in football and Cam is a fine QB. The Panthers problems weren't related to them.

ctrcat

Reaction score
kearly":27pehz4o said:
ctrcat":27pehz4o said:
The Hawks were .5 game worse in 2011 with Beast, RS, KC, ET, et al. Maybe JS and PC should have cut bait? The Panthers 2014 season was a success believe it or not after the movie-like twists and turns. Long term, the draft will determine everything with mega-deals unavailable for all but a few. Gettleman's 2013 and 14 drafts were an A and PC and JS laid the foundation with the second to none 2010-2012 drafts. Only time will tell how this years' and others will play out.

The Panthers do kind of remind me of the 2011 Hawks. Slow start, hot finish. Big strengths, big holes.

The 31-17 final score in Seattle for the 2nd round playoff game belied what the stat page told us. Seattle blew the game open with a few big plays but otherwise it felt like Carolina had a chance to win for much of the game. They also destroyed the Cardinals, something that it seemed only Seattle could do last season.

The hawks D has shown that they can handle Carolina's offense (other than Benjamin), so I'm not terrified of the Panthers by any stretch. But yeah, they can be a badass team when they are clicking. It is sometimes hard to know which version of the Panthers will show up though.

Good post, and certainly fair if not kind from the perspective of a team that has had the number of the Panthers. Inconsistency has been a staple of the Panthers as a 20 year old franchise, more than half of which were under the thumb print of former GM Marty Hurney. Even the 12 win 2013 team had Hurney's marks everywhere, not all bad. It's Gettleman's first time in the big chair and no one knows the final outcome, but his drafts and fiscal responsibility, at the very least, are miles more "consistent" (superior) than his predecessor.

mikeak

Reaction score
Hasselbeck":paptn590 said:
mikeak":paptn590 said:
aawolf":paptn590 said:
Panthers have been in cap hell for the past few years--paying RBs and Hardy to sit on the bench and Steve Smith to play for the Ravens.

Now, Gettlemen is finally getting the house in order. Next step: Keuchly. That one is going to set records for LB contracts IMO. They secure the QB of the Offense and the Defense, and they'll be in good shape.

You mean as in keeping the two players that led them to a losing record this year?

I know I am oversimplifying things but that is what put them in cap hell to begin with. They had a bad year and extended multiple players to huge deals after the bad year.....

Overall point being - two good players won't make a team. The question will be how the receiving core will do this year

Definitely oversimplifying things.. Kuechly is the best MLB in football and Cam is a fine QB. The Panthers problems weren't related to them.

I didn't say they were the cause of the problem.

I said that having two players no matter how great they are doesn't make your team good and saying it is in good shape. Other pieces needs to be in place - Benjamin is one of them but we will see if the rest comes to play. I think the jury is still out on the Panthers

ctrcat

Reaction score
^ They had a first round grade on Funchess and said he looked smoother and in many ways better than Benjamin one year ago at rookie mini-camp. No pads, who cares, etc. True, but positive vibes/word from Benjamin started the same way one year ago.

kidhawk

Reaction score
Hearing he got a 5 year extension worth $103.8 million ($20.76 million/per year average)

Basis4day

Reaction score
kidhawk":21h3o6dn said:
Hearing he got a 5 year extension worth $103.8 million ($20.76 million/per year average)

And 60 million guaranteed. Pays 67 million in the first three years.

TheRealDTM

Reaction score
I'm so tired of people saying Wilson is better than X quarterback because of team success. As a QB i.e ingame offensive performance he's been below a lot of these guys. Yes he turns it around and has a lot of comeback or 4th quarter wins but that's usually because the defense keeps us in games as he sails throws or takes sacks in the first 2 and a half quarters. If RW really thinks he's worth significantly more than Newton he's an ass.

kidhawk

Reaction score
[urltargetblank]http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000000495161/article/cam-newton-panthers-agree-to-mega-extension[/urltargetblank]

The two sides agreed to a five-year, $103 million extension that will keep Newton under team control through the 2020 season, NFL Media Insider Ian Rapoport reported Tuesday, per a source involved in the situation.

HHHTGT

Reaction score
Uhm, looking at stats, how has he not been better than Cam?

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
TheRealDTM":3l2k01gz said:
I'm so tired of people saying Wilson is better than X quarterback because of team success. As a QB i.e ingame offensive performance he's been below a lot of these guys. Yes he turns it around and has a lot of comeback or 4th quarter wins but that's usually because the defense keeps us in games as he sails throws or takes sacks in the first 2 and a half quarters. If RW really thinks he's worth significantly more than Newton he's an ass.

wat

RW is ranked ahead of Newton in every category I can think of, add in the fact that Wilson is 10 times the clutch player and leader than mopey sad sack aloof Newton is, and it's not hard to see why everyone thinks he deserves more money.

ctrcat

Reaction score
HHHTGT":a85bpe2b said:

If RW has the best stats ever for a 3 year QB, Cam has the best ever for a 4 year. And that's after one year of big time CFB, going to a putrid 2 win team post lockout, and given an insulting cast of weapons and protection.

Both deserve huge paydays.

hawknation2015

Reaction score
It sounds like Newton and his agent allowed the team to tack on this extension (5 years, $103 million, $20.6 million APY) to the end of his rookie deal. This gives Newton a big signing bonus upfront, and allows the team to ease into the salary increase by taking the first portion of the signing bonus in the final year of his rookie deal. I hope Russell's agent is paying attention because THIS is how NFL contracts should be done, benefitting both the client and the team.

The only difference is Russell has earned even more money . . . I would say 5 years, $115 million, $23 million APY to make him the highest paid player in league history. If his agent allows us to tack this on to the end of his rookie salary, then it will be manageable for the team to continue playing championship-caliber football. Newton just set the example for how to get paid like one of the league's most elite players AND help his team going forward. Russell, your move.

HHHTGT

Reaction score
ctrcat":32omu6k8 said:
HHHTGT":32omu6k8 said:

If RW has the best stats ever for a 3 year QB, Cam has the best ever for a 4 year. And that's after one year of big time CFB, going to a putrid 2 win team post lockout, and given an insulting cast of weapons and protection.

Both deserve huge paydays.

That may be the case, but Newton's numbers really aren't impressive outside of his rushing TD's. One more season and he's got a whole 10 more passing TD's, roughly 4500 more passing yards AND thrown for nearly 30 more interceptions. Now yes, his 33 rushing TD's compared to Russell's 11 is a massive difference, but the rushing yards total isn't massively different. Not too mention, I think Steve Smith or KB would have came onto the Seahawks and been defacto #1 receiver by a large margin.

TheRealDTM

Reaction score
Newton's supporting cast has been dreadful outside of 1 year of Benjamin and a past him prime (but still great) steve smith. We are talking about a team that has had 16 million locked up in running backs who didn't even contribute.

4,500 yards is a year of elite passing numbers, Newton has 33 more total touchdowns than Wilson. Newton has done it with far far less, he was the first overall pick after all not a cheap 3rd rounder. He often literally carries the offense.

When people bring up Lucks numbers the Wilson fanatics say YEAH BUT ITS ALL ABOUT TOTAL YARDS. When we bring up Newton its WILSONS PASSING STATS ARE BETTER.

Wilson despite his shortcomings is right there with Tannehill, Newton, Luck, Kaep to say he's somehow better because his team has had more success is specious reasoning.

ctrcat

Reaction score
^ In addition, he had no OT that was even drafted last year, including a French Canadian that never played in the states before making his first ever start @LT against the Saints on TNF. Too surreal and insane to make up. And he played hurt in that game and all others last year. Ed Dickson from Southern CA, UO, and the Baltimore Ravens said he was the toughest player he ever played with.

I'm fine if many argue RW is better, deserves more, etc. That's a fact that at this point only helps the Panthers. I am a RW fan too btw from a NCSU family. At this point it just feels good to exhale and watch things play out from afar regarding the Hawks and RW.

hawknation2015

Reaction score
Russell is better than Newton . . . more accurate, better at avoiding turnovers, and better at the end of games.

But he -- and more importantly, his baseball agent -- could learn something from Newton about getting paid, while allowing his team to be competitive. Not only did Newton agree to tack on this deal to the last year of his rookie contract, he also agreed to reduce his base salary and cap hit this year. If Russell follows suit, he will be the most highly paid player in league history and it will increase his chances of winning future Super Bowls.

Jville

Reaction score
I am going to wait until after the Cam Newton contract is turned into the league. Only then will we know if the contract complies with league and union directives. And only after that contract is accepted will we get an accurate accounting of the terms and numbers.

kidhawk

Reaction score
[urltargetblank]http://overthecap.com/cam-newton-joins-the-big-boy-contracts/[/urltargetblank]

Newton will receive a $22.5 million signing bonus and $7.5 million roster bonus in 2015. Based on the reported numbers the contract is huge and will firmly plant Newton among the top players in the NFL. I think there is some confusion over the valuation of the contract. The reports all seem to be based upon new money, which is common, but the comparisons to the market are not being made using the same valuations.