Cam Newton deal complete (5 yr ext. $103.8 million)

mikeak

Reaction score
"Far far less"

I am sorry but please list Seahawks receivers that aligns with Steve Smith then followed by Benjamin

They play in different systems people need to just stop comparing stats straight up but regardless Steve Smith was still real good when Cam came to the league. RW had Sidney Rice on his last decent year and yep that is it for receivers.

Panthers spent all their money on RBs but somehow RW is the beneficiary because Lynch had sucess. Maybe they benefit from each other...

ctrcat

Reaction score
^ Steve Smith was good in 2011. Not 2005 good, but good. Cam also lit up the league. It was the D that year that was god-awful.

Last year KB was great, especially for a rookie. But he was still a rookie and by no means an All-Pro (yet). Cam also had zero offseason reps with him post surgery.

TheRealDTM

Reaction score
mikeak":x18jyh9r said:
"Far far less"

I am sorry but please list Seahawks receivers that aligns with Steve Smith then followed by Benjamin

Well he had the best running back/game in the league for starters. He had golden tate and doug baldwin, percy harvin and zach miller with sidney rice in his first season.

mikeak

Reaction score
He did not have Percy in the first season

If the counter to Steve smith is Baldwin then that proves that "far far less" is a gross exaggeration

Doesn't matter who had better help it wasn't a huge difference.

And bad defense often helps to elevate Qb stats as they get to go vertical a lot more. As much as Lynch helps RW he also holds RWs stats back. Same for the great defense as Seattle is perfectly happy punting

Popeyejones

Reaction score
mikeak":2h1jvnwt said:
And bad defense often helps to elevate Qb stats as they get to go vertical a lot more. As much as Lynch helps RW he also holds RWs stats back. Same for the great defense as Seattle is perfectly happy punting

That depends on which QB stats you're talking about. A bad defense and mediocre run game help for raw QB statistics like overall passing yards and overall passing TDs, but they also make worse percentage-based stats like completion %, INT %, TD%, YPC, and QB Rating.*

(*YPC both indepdently and partially as a function of Completion %; and QB Rating entirely as a function of Completion %, YPC, TD% and INT %; which together are the four inputs the stat is derived from).

TheRealDTM

Reaction score
mikeak":1iv0g1mf said:
He did not have Percy in the first season

Sorry my punctuation game was lacking. He had Sidney Rice in his first season is how that was suppose to read.

Popeyejones

Reaction score
EDIT: I was done in by treating first three years salary with first three years cap hit (see below), so this post was wrong. (His signing bonus is counted as salary in the first three years, but is spread out longer for cap hit).

Looks like it will still be Wilson or Luck who is the first to crack the first three year >20 APY cap hit.

In any case, if anyone's curious, first three year APY for CAP HIT as of right now ranked 1-14

RANKED QB FIRST THREE YEAR APY:

1. Manning: 18.8 APY
2. Stafford 18.5 APY
3. Cam: 17.5 APY
4. Cutler: 17.3 APY
5. Rodgers: 15.6 APY
6. Brees: 15.3 APY
7. Ryan: 15.5 APY
8. Brady: 15 APY
9. Romo: 12.8 APY
10. Alex Smith: 12.3 APY
11. Tannehill: 12.3 APY
12. Flacco: 12 APY
13. Kaepernick: 11.6 APY
14. Dalton: 10.3 APY

(not including Eli b/c he's on the last year of a deal he signed way back in 2010).

hawknation2015

Reaction score
Popeyejones":1szcyftl said:
Back on the topic of the contract itself, the important number is 67 million over the first three years, or 22.3 APY over the first three years.

The first three years is the most important because they tend to be the only "real" numbers; after that things get wonky, restructures routinely happen, etc.

It's important because no other QB in the NFL has approached a number even CLOSE to that.

Heck, with this new deal Cam is the first QB to ever actually get paid more than 20 million dollars in a season (why it's always foolhardy to look at APY over the life of entire deals).

67 over 3 is just a crazy number. Wow. I was a little bit on the fence about what Cam's contract meant until these details came out, but 67 over 3 is just nuts, and the Colts' and Hawks' brass have to be majorly shaking their heads right now. Sheesh.

RANKED QB FIRST THREE YEAR APY:

1. Cam: 22.3 APY

2. Manning: 18.8 APY
3. Stafford 18.5 APY
4. Cutler: 17.3 APY
5. Rodgers: 15.6 APY
6. Brees: 15.3 APY
7. Ryan: 15.5 APY
8. Brady: 15 APY
9. Alex Smith: 12.3 APY
10. Tannehill: 12.3 APY
11. Flacco: 12 APY
12. Kaepernick: 11.6 APY
13. Dalton: 10.3 APY

I have a feeling you haven't calculated the APYs correctly. Cam's cap hit is not $67 million in the first three years; it includes his $22.5 million signing bonus. The cap hit is $58 million over the first three years ($19.3 APY).

For example, Rodgers received a $33.25 million signing bonus plus $27.85 in other salary over the first three years (total of $61.1 million or $20.37 million APY).

Popeyejones

Reaction score
^^^ Everything I read said 67 for the first three.

Maybe that's wrong?

https://twitter.com/JasonLaCanfora/stat ... 9684097024

http://www.sportingnews.com/nfl/story/2 ... ed-details

http://www.businessinsider.com/cam-newt ... ons-2015-6

Edit: ooooh, I gotcha, all these folks are including the full signing bonus over the first three years and that doesn't come up when looking at these other guys on Spotrac because the bonuses are spread across more than three years.

Just checked on Spotrac for Newton which makes this all much less crazy. Will go back and edit my post. :lol:

Thanks for the correction. :th2thumbs: