Can Russ succeed in the short/intermediate passing game?

AgentDib

Reaction score
hinton":hbzipt42 said:
I don't buy the 'too short' narrative at all, most O-linemen ate 6'7+, you don't get many QBs that height. Whether your QB is 5'9 or 6'4 they're gonna be shorter than the line.
There's some truth here (average NFL OL height is 6' 4.75") but it's also important to consider that maintaining a low center of gravity is critical to leverage. Pocic is 6'6" standing upright but if he is blocking Aaron Donald (6'1") then he will be much lower than that.

It's also not a binary issue of whether QBs can see or not, but rather a question of how much they can see. Philip Rivers at 6'5" can see more of the field than Russ can. Of course release angle also matters a lot here for passer rating; Rivers is taller than Brady but he has a lower release point. Brady is the master of the short, easy pass in large part because of his very high release.

Lastly, the rarity of successful NFL QBs under 6'2" does indicate an advantage to having that height as a minimum. Even including notable backups, Tyrod Taylor, Drew Brees and Russell Wilson were pretty much the only sub 6'2" QBs for the mid 2010's. Murray (5'10") and Mayfield (6'1") were successful last season, but neither one was a prolific pocket passer.

jammerhawk

Reaction score
RW is an accurate passer who throws a very catchable ball, and with better pass pro and enhanced play action he should be effective at short to intermediate passing. He has proven exception touch on edge routes, fades and jump balls. The increased effectiveness of the intermediate part of his game will change the looks he'll need to face and potentially make the whole O passing and running more effective. We need to see some creative scheme from the team's new OC.

The whole too short thing is nonsense as Brees has proven as the all time passing leader, each of the other shorter QBs, Flutie, Tarkenton, Jurgenson, Jackson, and others find passing lanes with appropriate pass pro. This is an artificial barrier or preconception. Good is good.

SoulfishHawk

Reaction score
Yet again, nicely stated Jammer.

He absolutely can do anything on the field. I believe what my eyes show me, and he has been and IS one of the best in the league, period. And is HOF bound, period.
Yet, 9 years later, many flat out choose to act like he can't.
The backlash and denial has ran it's course. Change the record...….