Can Russel Wilson become an Elite pocket passer?

Northhawk

Reaction score
I think he is a good pocket passer now but he doesn't always have a pocket to throw from like those other QBs.

But being as good pocket passer is different being an elite QB like Brady and the others. I think he needs another few years of stats plus an o-line that will allow him to pad his stats. Also, this team is built on defense first plus Pete will always play conservative ball which will hold down his stats.

chris98251

Reaction score
Ok we had like 1000 threads of this last year, he passes well from the pocket and rolling out, he isn't asked to put the team on his back but to eat clock, not turn the ball over and to move the chains, in the event that we need him to step up he has shown that he can do this with amazing results.

DavidSeven

Reaction score
Seeing this kind of thread here bugs me. This is the type of discussion I expect to be had by national pundits and fantasy football nerds who don't do enough research. We should know better.

scutterhawk

Reaction score
blazen2392":a7l4yzl8 said:
Do you think Russel will eventually join the ranks of Aaron rodger, drew brees, manning, and Brady?
its so hard for me to judge how he will progress because he isn't asked to make to many plays in the pocket.
I don't know about you, but I'd rather have Russell Wilson, because he isn't just a 'One Trick Pony'.
He can beat you in so many different ways, in that the heralded Pocket Passers cannot juke their way out of trouble when the chips are down.
The Seahawks are one of the very best "Balanced" Offenses across the board, and that's by design.

Penman96

Reaction score
onanygivensunday":15unmuxk said:
Penman96":15unmuxk said:
Russ isn't an elite anything yet, he has a lot to learn about being an NFL QB. Carroll certainly expects a lot more progress. (Emphasis added.)
Where do people come up with this stuff!!

Please present you argument for... "he has a lot to learn about being an NFL QB".

And please provide a link for... "Carroll certainly expects a lot more progress". I follow the team closely and I have never heard Pete say or suggest anything along these lines.

Re: Carroll added. " ... We go into this season, this next season, this offseason, and my hopes are that he's really going to take another big step forward and he's going to continue to get better."

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap200000 ... witter_atl

MontanaHawk05

Reaction score
Wilson isn't yet elite even on the 25 passes per game that he does throw. He misses a lot of wide-open receivers (when they're open). He misses opportunities for smaller gains while trying to look for the bigger one. He will not throw the ball away. That December of bizarre inaccuracy is still unexplained, though he corrected it in a hurry during the Super Bowl and looked pretty elite after that.

I have confidence we have more growth from Wilson yet. And given that he's just won a Super Bowl, well, the future is bright. :D

HawKnPeppa

Reaction score
SacHawk2.0":2go9otlv said:
He already is. Limited attempts are the only thing holding his stats back, but that's just the offensive philosophy.

For that reason, he probably will never be considered 'elite' as long he has to work within the constraints of our system.

Galen96

Reaction score
MontanaHawk05":nlw2mkjt said:
Wilson isn't yet elite even on the 25 passes per game that he does throw. He misses a lot of wide-open receivers (when they're open). He misses opportunities for smaller gains while trying to look for the bigger one. He will not throw the ball away. That December of bizarre inaccuracy is still unexplained, though he corrected it in a hurry during the Super Bowl and looked pretty elite after that.

I have confidence we have more growth from Wilson yet. And given that he's just won a Super Bowl, well, the future is bright. :D

All QBs miss wide-open targets... Including the great Peyton Manning. He throws it away when under duress better than most QBs...

That December of bizarre inanncuracy is suggested to have occurred due to nagging injury suffered during the @49ers game.

Thaihawk

Reaction score
He has plenty of room to improve on the short to intermediate timing throws. I believe he was last in the league for holding the ball at over 3.5 seconds. This seems like one of the most difficult things for a quarterback to master and I am sure he is being told by Pete to pass on the riskier throws until they absolutely need them.

That being said he has elite accuracy and play-making ability outside of the pocket and he is an elite runner as a QB. The national folks tend to disregard these abilities for the ability to surgically take apart a team with quick throws... which is dumb.

theascension

Reaction score
I don't know if he'll ever be great at short to intermediate throws. Either he has success on screen throws like New Orleans or he has success as a deep baller. He's too short to throw Peyton manning type routes.
He's up there with the best deep ballers.

JKent82

Reaction score
theascension":9j5uuejp said:
I don't know if he'll ever be great at short to intermediate throws. Either he has success on screen throws like New Orleans or he has success as a deep baller. He's too short to throw Peyton manning type routes.

He can have success throwing over the middle short and long. He abused the Broncos doing exactly that.

davidonmi

Reaction score
it depends on what you consider a great pocket passer, he will always struggle throwing it between the hashes, but has a great arm.
I think he is a top 6-8 QB in the NFL and a top ten pure pocket passer.
Depends on what you consider elite, I would still take Rodgers, Brady, Manning, Brees, and maybe Luck over him

RolandDeschain

Reaction score
MontanaHawk05":243lakre said:

I suspect, but have no proof to provide in support of it, that it was attributable mostly to a directive from on high; and I'm not talking about Pete Carroll.

That being said, I watched both Brady and Peyton miss plenty of wide-open receivers throughout the playoffs. People need to stop pretending the best of the best don't regularly miss open reads.

AlphaOmega

Reaction score
To be honest I don't care. What's the point of being "elite" but the team's not winning? This is a team sport after all.

With all that said, how many elite QB's, including the hall of fame ones, had better first two years than Wilson's? If that's not elite, I don't know what is. You can't compare a 2nd year QB to the ones who has already established himself because they've been around longer and has more knowledge and understanding of the game. I know it's easy to mistake fantasy football stats for "elite". Guys like Tony Romo and Matthew Stafford who put up great regular season stats but only to sit home and watch the playoffs. They're excused for not having a good team around them. Yet when a QB with a good team around him, he gets dissed for not putting up amazing numbers while his team continues to win.

Wilson will only continue to improve. I'm ok of him not having fantasy football numbers as long as the Seahawks continue to dominate. If anything, it might actually make him slightly cheaper when his contract's up for extension but he get paid regardless.

melloyello1818

Reaction score
pmedic920":jjm8vqo6 said:
Doesn't matter. RW brings so much that will never show up as a stat.
We know what/who he is. The rest of the world will know sooner or later. Who he gets compared to, or grouped with, matters not.
Least the way I see it.
He all we got.
He all we need!

brimsalabim

Reaction score
I think Pete is correct that Russell will take another big step this off season and will improve on his already superior performances. I also heard Pete say in an interview that Russell executes the plans he is given but he had no doubt that Russ could sling it for 400 yards if that was needed in the game plan. So yes I do think he could become elite in all phases. He is already an elite leader.

Latest posts