Can Russel Wilson become an Elite pocket passer?

Anthony!

Reaction score
Penman96":2ifx8j8v said:
onanygivensunday":2ifx8j8v said:
Penman96":2ifx8j8v said:
Russ isn't an elite anything yet, he has a lot to learn about being an NFL QB. Carroll certainly expects a lot more progress. (Emphasis added.)
Where do people come up with this stuff!!

Please present you argument for... "he has a lot to learn about being an NFL QB".

And please provide a link for... "Carroll certainly expects a lot more progress". I follow the team closely and I have never heard Pete say or suggest anything along these lines.

Re: Carroll added. " ... We go into this season, this next season, this offseason, and my hopes are that he's really going to take another big step forward and he's going to continue to get better."

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap200000 ... witter_atl

That's great but does not mean he is not elite, even elite QBs can get better.

Anthony!

Reaction score
MontanaHawk05":3mjpgbyi said:
Wilson isn't yet elite even on the 25 passes per game that he does throw. He misses a lot of wide-open receivers (when they're open). He misses opportunities for smaller gains while trying to look for the bigger one. He will not throw the ball away. That December of bizarre inaccuracy is still unexplained, though he corrected it in a hurry during the Super Bowl and looked pretty elite after that.

I have confidence we have more growth from Wilson yet. And given that he's just won a Super Bowl, well, the future is bright. :D

so was there anything you said that is legit? Answer no, all the Elite QBs miss some receivers, Rw has thrown the ball away when needed, He doe snot need to explain December, it happens to all of them to include the elite. So like I said nothing you said is correct RW is Elite. the fact prove it.

Seafan

Reaction score
Wilson is an elite QB. The offense doesn't require an elite pocket passer nor will it in the near future.

Anthony!

Reaction score
ZagHawk":2muly0h2 said:
I don't think it's fair to the other "elite QBs" which I believe composes of Rodgers, Brees, Brady and Manning to already be calling RW elite. I think RW has the potential to be elite, I think he's already good if not great, but I don't think he's elite...YET. I think after a few more similar seasons getting deep into the playoffs, or with one more Super Bowl win. There will be no denying it, but at this point, it's just too early in his career. Let's all not forget RW's mini-slump he went through during the final 5 games of the regular season, which is a small amount of games, but for a 2 year player that's not that tiny. Now if RW played his entire two seasons the way he capped out last season, I think there would be a lot less questions.

To answer your question CAN RW become an Elite pocket passer...yes he CAN. Will he...not if that O-line keeps collapsing like they did earlier this season.

The only problem is it was not a 5 game slump

it was really only 2 game out of 5

Lets see the NO game 139.6 Qb rating
SF game 81.9 but only because of a last second hail mary otherwise would have been 101
Giants Qb rating 86
AZ bad game qb rating 49.6
Rams game qb rating 102

So the whole slump was media BS 85 is consider a good QB rating, over the 5 games his avg QB rating was 92, to put it into perspective Brees had a string of 5 games were he had qb ratings of 81, 89, 38, 70, 52 for an avg of 66 but Brees is Elite and Rw not really. Sorry Rw is elite.

Lords of Scythia

Reaction score
Penman96":dyodogk0 said:
Russ isn't an elite anything yet, he has a lot to learn about being an NFL QB. Carroll certainly expects a lot more progress.

About being a pocket passer, I think he can be great in the pocket but excellent outside of the pocket as well. He'll want to maintain the threat of scrambling. It seems like the days of the true NFL pocket passer are numbered, QB's like Wilson offer more options.
Some people thought he was the Super Bowl MVP.

brimsalabim

Reaction score
ok so I asked for specifics. What specifically does he have to do to become elite?
So far we have "pre snap reads" . OK that's a good one to work on. What else you got?

What can elite QB's do that he can't? What can he do that those other QB's can't? Make your list.

Then I ask you to hold up Cap, Luck, RG, & who ever else up to that same scale for comparison.

Then answer me ...Who's got it better than us?

dontbelikethat

Reaction score
Just need a bit more from Wilson before I can call him elite and I don't know if I ever will see enough due to how the offense is ran. The only elite Qb's for me are the big 4 (Manning,Brady,Rodgers,Brees). Wilson is in that next tier though and he's very close to becoming elite. I'll say this though, he is incredibly efficient, but I don't know if he could do what he did in the 2nd half of the ATL game last year on a consistent basis.

MizzouHawkGal

Reaction score
Wilson is going to be regarded like Aikman because he'll never have empty guady statistics. Yet in every statistic worth anything he is and will be at the top this not even counting the number of wins and Superbowl rings he already has and will have in the future. It was stupid then and even stupider now given each team's talent level.

Seaswab

Reaction score
The thing with wilson is sometimes he just needs to drop back, trust what he sees and let it fly. Sometimes he hesitates, scrambles, then runs out if bounds. Let the f'er fly.

IndyHawk

Reaction score
blkhwk":o0c20net said:
I think you will see RW progress much like Tom Brady did in his first couple of years. Brady had a much better defense and running game than he has had in the previous few years and has had to produce more.

I think as time goes on, you will see this offense open up more, probably because of the defense not being as dominant as right now (looking three-four years down the road). Also who knows how much tread Lynch has on his tires. I could really see a much more "open" concept to the offense in the next few years.

Everyone has said it will be difficult to keep the defense together, one of the ways to compensate for that will be with a more dynamic offense, scoring more points (much like the Pats who also are lead by a defensive minded HC).

Just an opinion.
This is my thought pretty much..He reminds me of Brady kind of in his early years..He will get better and better as time goes..He will always do rollouts but will stay in more as time goes ..

brimsalabim

Reaction score
dontbelikethat":n80fm8qr said:
Just need a bit more from Wilson before I can call him elite and I don't know if I ever will see enough due to how the offense is ran. The only elite Qb's for me are the big 4 (Manning,Brady,Rodgers,Brees). Wilson is in that next tier though and he's very close to becoming elite. I'll say this though, he is incredibly efficient, but I don't know if he could do what he did in the 2nd half of the ATL game last year on a consistent basis.

So you need to see Wilson throw for 385 yards on a consistent basis before you will consider him to be among the elite qb's? At least you have established a bar. Are you at least willing to amortize it based on the limited number of attempts Russell is given? Also 3 of the big 4 can't run to save their lives much less to pick up a key first down. Can we maybe allow Russ a small curve based on that?

MizzouHawkGal

Reaction score
Seaswab":etnrdtmv said:
The thing with wilson is sometimes he just needs to drop back, trust what he sees and let it fly. Sometimes he hesitates, scrambles, then runs out if bounds. Let the f'er fly.
He'll learn with experience and also the team will be more offensively focused as others have said 3-4 years from now because of Wilson's second contract. But he has something Brady never had.... legs. He will always be able to scramble because he's smart about it like Fran Tarkenton.

pocketprotector

Reaction score
Wilson was better than Brady this year, I am not sure what some of these people were seeing. Wilson had a higher passer rating in the playoffs than Manning, Brady, Brees, and Rodgers.

It is really disturbing how some of the Seattle fans view Wilson. Maybe they just can't break free from the height propaganda. Or maybe it is something else. But this guy has had one of the best first two years at the quarterback position of all time.

Just a few weeks ago, during the Conference Championship game, the poster falcongoogles started a thread in the game day forum asking if Seattle needed to look at addressing the quarterback position in the offseason.

Sadly that sort of insane and idiotic thinking seems to be a bit commonplace here.

MizzouHawkGal

Reaction score
Welcome to .Net home of the most negative wannabe GM's on the interwebs. Russell is either matching or breaking EVERY statistical record worth a damn but regardless he still gets questioned if he can be a pocket passer and many other things even more stupid.

I call it "The Curse of the 38".

OP
OP
B

blazen2392

Reaction score
I think people don't understand what i originally posted.

The only guys in the NFL that anyone can consider an Elite pocket passer is the Big 4 QBs. A QB that can make plays from the Pocket without to many Turnovers. Saying wilson is in this same league after 2 years is disrespectful. I love Russ but lets not get carried away.

This is the credit i give Russ.
Out of the younger generation of QB i believe, Kam, Luck, and wilson are the top of that group in no specific order.
They all elite in their own way, and i don't believe wilson outshadows any of them. Saying so is just your inner 12 talking because they are all exceptional QB. Wilson plays on a better team than all these QB's, and so he isn't asked to take the same kind of risks these other QB's are asked to take. Its not a knock on Wilson, but its true. He has the advantage of playing EXTREMELY cautious.
Right now, i believe Luck has shown the most potential to be an Elite pocket passer, and i personally feel the others have not. This is just because of the way their teams are built.

What am saying is down the stretch when Wilson has something similar to a 2013 patriots team, can we ride his back to the playoffs consistently like these big 4 QBs do year after year?

MizzouHawkGal

Reaction score
How long do we have to listen to this tripe? You do know Wilson was better than Luck in the NCAA? As to your question about the 2013 Patriots lets hope we do a better job of maintaining our team but if not we will find out if we're in that position.

Seahawk Sailor

Reaction score
California via Negros Occidental, Philippines
blazen2392":3ddffj9g said:
What am saying is down the stretch when Wilson has something similar to a 2013 patriots team, can we ride his back to the playoffs consistently like these big 4 QBs do year after year?

Yes, I'm confident we could count on him just as much as those "Big Four" quarterbacks' teams do. Looking at his efficiency this year with a shattered offensive line and swapping his top two receivers for undrafted free agents, while operating in a run-first type offense leaves no doubt he could do fantastically better with all those weapons at his disposal.