Can someone explain the Pocic situation?

RockinHawks

Reaction score
"Gigantuan" is my new favorite word, and think it should be added to Webster's along with "clapter."

We're a creative bunch! Love it!

hawk45

Reaction score
Jville":328hx2ou said:
:177692: Absolutely not.

I'm gonna let you and others flounder in a sea of incomplete information.

After all, it is the absence of understanding that propels the sport of lazy player and coaching insults.

WTF mang? We were all excited about Pocic then he quietly fell out of the running for a starting position. OP isn't allowed to ask a question about this without getting hacked down by the thought police?

Obvs fan griping is driving you nuts and I get it, but it's an internet message board what do you expect? You had a post in the Cassius Marsh thread about questioning the mission or whatever that was downright Chairman Mao.

Let me soften my objection here by acknowledging that you are 10x the poster I am and bring a lot of great actual information to the board.

ctrcat

Reaction score
hawknation2017":2ofy56tl said:
ctrcat":2ofy56tl said:
pittpnthrs":2ofy56tl said:
I really thought he would be the starting right tackle when the season started (actually wanted to see him on the left side a little also). Ifedi is flat out terrible. The fact that Pocic isn't starting there is kind of alarming. I always thought Pocic was a curious pick. I haven't kept up with the other lineman drafted before him, but I need to look.

Den - Garrett Bolles (starting left tackle)
NO - Ryan Ramcyzk (starting left tackle)
SD - Forrest Lamp (injured)
Jags - Cam Robinson (starting left tackle but has to deal with JJ Watt his first game. Lol, good luck)

Nothing to do with the Seahawks of course, but I lost track of them. Rookies or not, they are starting.

I watched Cam Robinson and Taylor Moton (taken in the late 2nd) this preseason. Moton was more impressive by miles.

Moton is going to be a great RT. Congrats on that pick.

Thanks. I'd keep him there and not look back but they experimented having him at other positions as well in case of injury/having the 5 best OL out there so we'll see.

OP
OP
Seymour

Seymour

Reaction score
Mad Dog":2qb0uilk said:
They tried to bolster the line with last years draft (Ifedi (1), Odhiambo (3), Fant (UDFA)) morseso than this year (Pocic (2), Senior(6)).
The 2016 players are starting (or IR'd). One 2017 player is backup. I don't see a problem.

I don't think Pocic was ever in line to start off the get go. As Cable has said repeatedly, the jump from year one to year two a gigantuan. You only start rookies if you have to. We don't have to this year thank goodness.

The reason people are throwing crap back at you is the backhanded stab at the FO about OL "misses".
Personally I think the OL misses are more about draft position, injury bad luck and the difficulty finding good OL out of college. There are only a handful of good OL's in the league and many were built with multiple high picks (Dallas, Tennessee) or cap room (Oakland, Atlanta). If you aren't drafting in the top 15 or spending millions of dollars in FA, then it's hard to have a great OL.

I'm glad Pocic is depth. In previous years he'd have been forced to start. This year we finally have enough warm bodies to let him progress as a backup before being thrown to the wolves.

Thank you for the opinion. Ya, too bad they skipped over the part that I thought Pocic was playing well and in the running to start, so why would I think he was a bust? When I asked the question, they assume it is an assumption he is a bust because I dislike Cable more than likely. That or serious reading comprehension issues....

Delicate souls with lynch mob mentality is a bad combination.

Smellyman

Reaction score
Jville":1vou8ue0 said:
Smellyman":1vou8ue0 said:
Seymour":1vou8ue0 said:
I thought Pocic was having a good pre-season and camp and for all indications would be in the running for a starting position on the oline. Then Pete all the sudden a few weeks ago says he is going to be limited to inside 3 positions (GCG). That seemed to catch me and others off guard as it seemed he may push Ifedi to the bench, or possibly take over for Fant.

Now I see he is actually listed as #3 at either guard and #2 only at center (there are only 2)

http://www.seahawks.com/team/depth-chart

Anyone have any idea what happened to him and why he seemed to drop down the depth chart?

Did we just witness yet another oline miss? :?

Ifedi is flat terrible. After a few free rushers from the right side nearly kills RW, Pete will make Cable do the right thing.

Hopefully, Pocic isn't an Ifedi-like miss.

A two for one. A finger of blame singles out a a player and a coach in the same post.

And a none for none post.

Defender of .NET!

hawkfan68

Reaction score
Seymour":3m5bo45k said:
Mad Dog":3m5bo45k said:
They tried to bolster the line with last years draft (Ifedi (1), Odhiambo (3), Fant (UDFA)) morseso than this year (Pocic (2), Senior(6)).
The 2016 players are starting (or IR'd). One 2017 player is backup. I don't see a problem.

I don't think Pocic was ever in line to start off the get go. As Cable has said repeatedly, the jump from year one to year two a gigantuan. You only start rookies if you have to. We don't have to this year thank goodness.

The reason people are throwing crap back at you is the backhanded stab at the FO about OL "misses".
Personally I think the OL misses are more about draft position, injury bad luck and the difficulty finding good OL out of college. There are only a handful of good OL's in the league and many were built with multiple high picks (Dallas, Tennessee) or cap room (Oakland, Atlanta). If you aren't drafting in the top 15 or spending millions of dollars in FA, then it's hard to have a great OL.

I'm glad Pocic is depth. In previous years he'd have been forced to start. This year we finally have enough warm bodies to let him progress as a backup before being thrown to the wolves.

Thank you for the opinion. Ya, too bad they skipped over the part that I thought Pocic was playing well and in the running to start, so why would I think he was a bust? When I asked the question, they assume it is an assumption he is a bust because I dislike Cable more than likely. That or serious reading comprehension issues....

Delicate souls with lynch mob mentality is a bad combination.

I thought your question was valid and not insulting.

Some on here have their heads so far up players' and coaches' arses that they can't see the poop that comes out them.

Attyla the Hawk

Reaction score
Seymour":2iv66xj0 said:
Anyone have any idea what happened to him and why he seemed to drop down the depth chart?

Seattle needed a roster spot and took it from the OL group. So that meant no Joey Hunt.

Pocic has to be inside. Being #2 OC and backup OG makes sense.

In addition, Fant went down. So Seattle could be light there on the left side. What happens if Rees goes down? If Joeckel moves to LT, then LG is a potential problem.

Pocic at this stage is not as good as Ifedi. Honestly, I didn't think he did all that well out at RT out of the gate. Not a huge surprise since Pocic's experience is in the interior. But more to the point, our scheme puts run blocking at a premium on the right side. Scheme wise, we want a mauler at RT. Pocic was dreadful in that respect. Ifedi has actually been very good at that thus far.

Seymour":2iv66xj0 said:

Maybe. Although one could counter that with the idea that the guys we invested in 2015 and 2016 are now serviceable and are growing acceptably and are just now setting the bar higher than a late 2nd round player can reach. Seattle also made a pointed lament that they felt they were too young last year. I'm guessing Pocic would have had to come in and dominate right out of the gate to get a starting nod. Which is a tall ask, even for a player well versed in the ZBS.

Pocic will grow and get some playing time. There is no rush to make him sink or swim. I think doing that last year left a negative impression on us.

I think if we didn't go with only 8 OL, and kept Hunt, then Pocic probably stays outside. Doesn't start. But stays. Losing Fant kind of forced more reshuffling. But ultimately it was not having Hunt (who I think ends up signing and starting if Britt goes down).

Smellyman

Reaction score
I don't really like PFF and it is preseason against differecnt competion....but.

Rookie Ethan Pocic played at right tackle in the Seahawks’ first preseason game and finished with an overall PFF grade of 75.1 (18th) and a run blocking grade of 70.9 as compared to Ifedi, who finished with an overall PFF grade of 40.6 (90th) and a run blocking grade of 83.9.

https://www.profootballfocus.com/news/pro-preseason-week-2-preview-vikings-at-seahawks

If Pocic's name was switched to Kasen or Pope or Carson this would be a hot topic.

Edit: I hated the Pocic pick too and thought it was another dumb Cable move. I became a believer after seeing him play.

hawk45

Reaction score
Smellyman":b747zgzr said:
I don't really like PFF and it is preseason against differecnt competion....but.

Rookie Ethan Pocic played at right tackle in the Seahawks’ first preseason game and finished with an overall PFF grade of 75.1 (18th) and a run blocking grade of 70.9 as compared to Ifedi, who finished with an overall PFF grade of 40.6 (90th) and a run blocking grade of 83.9.

https://www.profootballfocus.com/news/pro-preseason-week-2-preview-vikings-at-seahawks

If Pocic's name was switched to Kasen or Pope or Carson this would be a hot topic.

Edit: I hated the Pocic pick too and thought it was another dumb Cable move. I became a believer after seeing him play.

That's where I come out as well. Initial thought was great, jack of all trades master of none. Watched him play and thought hey this guy actually can play multiple positions *well*.

My lust for seeing Pocic slot in for Ifedi is greater than my desire to see Carson replace Rawls or Lacy, quite honestly. Here's hoping he gets a shot sooner rather than later.

Smellyman

Reaction score
hawk45":386arivb said:
Smellyman":386arivb said:

That's where I come out as well. Initial thought was great, jack of all trades master of none. Watched him play and thought hey this guy actually can play multiple positions *well*.

My lust for seeing Pocic slot in for Ifedi is greater than my desire to see Carson replace Rawls or Lacy, quite honestly. Here's hoping he gets a shot sooner rather than later.

same

OP
OP
Seymour

Seymour

Reaction score
Smellyman":28riq55d said:

Nice find, thanks for looking that up. It agrees with what I saw, and part of what left me wondering why.

So does this from that same link.... A bit mind boggling to be honest.

Both Pocic and Ifedi saw 18 pass blocking snaps against the Chargers, but the results were different. Ifedi surrendered 5 quarterback pressures and had a pass blocking efficiency of 79.2 (110th out of 111), whereas Pocic allowed zero and finished with a pass blocking efficiency of 100.0. Of the 26 tackles who allowed zero pressures, only four saw more pass blocking snaps than Pocic.

Now that we have Hunt signed to the practice squad, I don't see a real reason for the team to hold Pocic back if he clearly is better. Also, that does not explain them listing him as #3 at guard. #2 I could possibly see, but not #3.

Jville

Reaction score
Attyla the Hawk":1qz0xr2m said:
Seymour":1qz0xr2m said:

Seattle needed a roster spot and took it from the OL group. So that meant no Joey Hunt.

In addition, Fant went down. So Seattle could be light there on the left side. What happens if Rees goes down? If Joeckel moves to LT, then LG is a potential problem.

Pocic at this stage is not as good as Ifedi. Honestly, I didn't think he did all that well out at RT out of the gate. Not a huge surprise since Pocic's experience is in the interior. But more to the point, our scheme puts run blocking at a premium on the right side. Scheme wise, we want a mauler at RT. Pocic was dreadful in that respect. Ifedi has actually been very good at that thus far.

Seymour":1qz0xr2m said:

Maybe. Although one could counter that with the idea that the guys we invested in 2015 and 2016 are now serviceable and are growing acceptably and are just now setting the bar higher than a late 2nd round player can reach. Seattle also made a pointed lament that they felt they were too young last year. I'm guessing Pocic would have had to come in and dominate right out of the gate to get a starting nod. Which is a tall ask, even for a player well versed in the ZBS.

Pocic will grow and get some playing time. There is no rush to make him sink or swim. I think doing that last year left a negative impression on us.

I think if we didn't go with only 8 OL, and kept Hunt, then Pocic probably stays outside. Doesn't start. But stays. Losing Fant kind of forced more reshuffling. But ultimately it was not having Hunt (who I think ends up signing and starting if Britt goes down).

IMO ......... that is way too much information. And, don't even think about going into how Ifedi figures into the effort to restore success to outside / stretch plays

Heads could explode.

hawkfan68

Reaction score
Attyla the Hawk":3egl6qlk said:
Seymour":3egl6qlk said:

Seymour":3egl6qlk said:

Great post. The questioning I have is that we are told that the coaches prefer athletic guys. Then they choose to go with Ifedi who is less athletic than Pocic at RT. With that said, I hope that Ifedi improves and has a better year than he did last year.

nanomoz

Reaction score
Joey Hunt looked great in preseason. Even so, Pocic took his job.

Seafan

Reaction score
I see Pocic as a great tactician but like many rookies he needs to improve his strength. The Hawks have always wanted their RT to be a great run blocker first and that is where Ifedi excels over Pocic. Pocic is one of the Hawks best 6/7 OLs. He will always dress for games if healthy. Tobin should too. That may leave the loser of the Aboushi/Glowinski competition out on Sundays if they choose to only suit up 7 which they did often last season.

OP
OP
Seymour

Seymour

Reaction score
Jville":sjym4m7z said:
IMO ......... that is way too much information. And, don't even think about going into how Ifedi figures into the effort to restore success to outside / stretch plays

Heads could explode.

Hey listen up please. If you have nothing to add (which you have shown you don't) other than insults and stirring up shit here, would you please just butt out and let us "idiots" discuss the subject?

Serious request.

bbsplitter

Reaction score
Seymour":1x3krva2 said:
Pandion Haliaetus":1x3krva2 said:
God, this place, sometimes.

Seahawks will probably keep 7 or 8 active linemen on Game day. Pocic will be 1 of them. More value in having a dude that can play multiple positions as needed rather then starting him and then not having that depth and versatility.

Besides 2 or 3 year players SHOULD be ahead of a rookie both physically and mentally.

But yeah let's jump to conclusions just so we can continue to drive that storyline.

Who is that too? Jump to conclusions with a question?

What is with people today?

I think he was referring to your line "Did we just witness another O-line miss?" Technically you phrased it as a question - but as a newbie to the thread I could see how someone might take it as an insinuation.

Jville

Reaction score
Seafan":25y3j49a said:
I see Pocic as a great tactician but like many rookies he needs to improve his strength. The Hawks have always wanted their RT to be a great run blocker first and that is where Ifedi excels over Pocic. Pocic is one of the Hawks best 6/7 OLs. He will always dress for games if healthy. Tobin should too. That may leave the loser of the Aboushi/Glowinski competition out on Sundays if they choose to only suit up 7 which they did often last season.

Stop it ....... just stop it! That is way to much information and insight.

And don't even think about sharing thoughts on who is going to line up as the sixth lineman in short yardage opportunities on Sunday. Their heads will explode.

OP
OP
Seymour

Seymour

Reaction score
hawk45":2zn3stbg said:
Smellyman":2zn3stbg said:

+4.

Pocic wasn't my favorite pick, but I was happy they went after someone with experience and a good track record. Then I saw him in action and thought even better of him and assumed they would battle it out for best man.

To me, something changed along the way besides the backup center position that hasn't been discovered by fans yet.

Oh well, I predicted Cable would take no less than game 4 to get the line in the best order. I will hope that still may happen I suppose. 8)

OP
OP
Seymour

Seymour

Reaction score
Attyla the Hawk":34km7mgz said:
Seymour":34km7mgz said:

Seymour":34km7mgz said:

I appreciate your opinion and taking time. I get the run blocking desire, but I will have to disagree that Pocic "Has to be inside". I will also disagree that he "was dreadful" at run blocking. Some expert stat analysis posted also says Ifedi had just a slight edge in run blocking, and Pocic had a FAR better pass blocking grade when compared in the same game. I know there are many other variables, and given more time that could change. Meanwhile, I pray for Russells continued health,,,,he well may need it with Ifedi at RT.