Can someone explain the Pocic situation?

Attyla the Hawk

Reaction score
Seymour":1guluj0p said:
I will also disagree that he "was dreadful" at run blocking. Some expert stat analysis posted also says Ifedi had just a slight edge in run blocking, and Pocic had a FAR better pass blocking grade when compared in the same game. I know there are many other variables, and given more time that could change. Meanwhile, I pray for Russells continued health,,,,he well may need it with Ifedi at RT.

PFF doesn't grade relatively. Ifedi ran against ones every time. Pocic ran against twos and threes. One can't use these scores since the opposition wasn't a constant.

I'm not saying Ifedi will be awesome. Far from it. I really hated that pick and nothing I've seen lends me to think he's going to be worth signing. Or even by this time next year, starting. He should be capable for what we need from the right tackle position though.

Ifedi looked actually good run blocking. Against better competition. And that's the real litmus test for our right tackles. Ifedi as an athlete is pretty outstanding. As much as I don't think he can play, I'll happily concede his athletic pedigree.

Additionally, I actually think Wilson will have an easier time accounting for Ifedi's failures on the edge. When Ifedi would flat out whiff at OG, would give Wilson very little ability to elude that inside rusher. There just isn't the amount of space for Wilson to work with to get away. On the edge, if Ifedi is beat, Wilson can step up or elude right and extend a play much easier. And we actually saw him do just that this preseason when Ifedi did fail. Ifedi is stout and against ends, much more able to anchor a bull rush. Where he sucked most was with ends speed rushing (inside or outside). But Ifedi does have length and if beat will continue to force a rusher along one path. Wilson can read that like a back reading a block.

MontanaHawk05

Reaction score
Rat":3ny20b4i said:
Jville":3ny20b4i said:
:177692: Absolutely not.

I'm gonna let you and others flounder in a sea of incomplete information.

After all, it is the absence of understanding that propels the sport of lazy player and coaching insults.

Holy ****, there was no careless speculation from OP, he just asked a question based on evidence from the depth chart listed on the team's official website.

Damn, some of you are sensitive.

Gotta read the last sentence of the OP (which I only saw because others reposted it).

Speculating that Seattle has committed another "OL miss" before the season even starts is the sort of thing that will get you knocked around a bit. Can't judge a player before the season starts - especially on this team, where things are rarely set in stone. Pocic might be starting before the month is out. Who knows.

OP
OP
Seymour

Seymour

Reaction score
MontanaHawk05":1lltigch said:
Rat":1lltigch said:
Jville":1lltigch said:

After all, it is the absence of understanding that propels the sport of lazy player and coaching insults.

Holy ****, there was no careless speculation from OP, he just asked a question based on evidence from the depth chart listed on the team's official website.

Gotta read the last sentence of the OP (which I only saw because others reposted it).

Speculating that Seattle has committed another "OL miss" before the season even starts is the sort of thing that will get you knocked around a bit. Can't judge a player before the season starts - especially on this team, where things are rarely set in stone. Pocic might be starting before the month is out. Who knows.

Problem is, I did not speculate we missed. I asked others if they think we did, or what you think the issue for dropping to #3 on G and out of tackle contention. I said I liked Pocic and thought he was doing well and very well could start. That does not indicate I think he is a bust is ANY way.

People read what they want to read, that is the issue.

LeftHandSmoke

Reaction score
The most pessimistic possibility in game 1 is that Odi gets repeatedly beaten at LT, so badly that he gets pulled in the hopes of saving RW's life. And if that happens, do they dial up.. Tobin? PC has mentioned him several times recently.

(First attempt using Tapatalk)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Jville

Reaction score
Seymour":3uzp1x7f said:
MontanaHawk05":3uzp1x7f said:
Rat":3uzp1x7f said:
Jville":3uzp1x7f said:

Problem is, I did not speculate we missed. I asked others if they think we did, or what you think the issue for dropping to #3 on G and out of tackle contention. I said I liked Pocic and thought he was doing well and very well could start. That does not indicate I think he is a bust is ANY way.

I guess that plows the way for posts beyond reproach. Information is inconsequential. Let the ________ suck feast begin.

Hawkscanner

Reaction score
Attyla the Hawk":3gwffnkb said:
Jville":3gwffnkb said:

Coffee .... expulsed .... monitor abused.

That was downright perfect.

I had the exact same reaction. The snarky part of me absolutely loved that as well. LOL. :lol: ;)

Josea16

Reaction score
Jville":n4u623qv said:
Seymour":n4u623qv said:
MontanaHawk05":n4u623qv said:
Rat":n4u623qv said:

I guess that plows the way for posts beyond reproach. Information is inconsequential. Let the ________ suck feast begin.
Posts like that are why he's on my ignore list. It works really well trust me.

OP
OP
Seymour

Seymour

Reaction score
Jville":jpak6ic0 said:
Seymour":jpak6ic0 said:
MontanaHawk05":jpak6ic0 said:
Rat":jpak6ic0 said:

Read the title for once. It is an attempt to gather information and opinions about the players status. You still continue to contribute nothing other than snide remarks, backhanded cutting down of other posters, and general stirring shit up. Just go away, you have nothing to contribute. Go post some more tweets somewhere, or still up your lynch mob for whatever you deem "unfanworthy seahawk fan club material". :pukeface:

OP
OP
Seymour

Seymour

Reaction score
Josea16":28a3dvpm said:
Jville":28a3dvpm said:
Seymour":28a3dvpm said:
MontanaHawk05":28a3dvpm said:

Posts like that are why he's on my ignore list. It works really well trust me.

Posts like what? What did I say to offend you now?

Hawkscanner

Reaction score
Seymour":17ck4bl5 said:
I thought Pocic was having a good pre-season and camp and for all indications would be in the running for a starting position on the oline. Then Pete all the sudden a few weeks ago says he is going to be limited to inside 3 positions (GCG). That seemed to catch me and others off guard as it seemed he may push Ifedi to the bench, or possibly take over for Fant.

Now I see he is actually listed as #3 at either guard and #2 only at center (there are only 2)

http://www.seahawks.com/team/depth-chart

Anyone have any idea what happened to him and why he seemed to drop down the depth chart?

Did we just witness yet another oline miss? :?

No, going back to being serious for a second -- I agree with you Seymour. To me, it was an honest surprise how Pocic DIDN'T nail down one of the starting line positions. Whenever he was in there, Pocic was BLOWING guys off the ball. He was aggressive ... he wasn't getting shoved back ... he looked solid in pass protection. He was flat out making things happen when he was in there.

I honestly felt that outside of Britt, he was perhaps Seattle's best run blocking lineman in the Preseason. And since that's what the Seahawks WANT to do the majority of the time ... it's a real head scratcher to me as well why he's not starting as well.

In the end, I DO have to agree with Atylla in saying ...

Pocic WASN'T going to be the starter at Center. That's Britt's job.

Pocic WASN'T going to be the starter at Left Tackle. Guys like Fant and Odhiambo have far more athleticism and better feet for the position.

Joeckel actually looked really good at LG (and since you can kind of view him as a coach on the field for whoever's the starting LT) ... there was no way Pocic was going to be starting there.

All that leaves really is RT ... and RG.

I DO have to agree that though he started out looking kind of bad ... as the Preseason wore on German Ifedi actually started looking more and more competent at RT. More than competent actually -- Ifedi (at the end of the Preseason) I'd say actually looked pretty good -- especially as a run blocker. Ifedi is a mountain of a man (really strong, very long arms) , so if he's playing well, knocking guys off the ball, etc. -- I can see why you'd go Ifedi over Pocic there.

The one question mark (in my mind I guess) is at RG. In 2016, Pro Football Focus (which again, I know is far from perfect) gave Mark Glowinski an overall score of 48.3. That's not too hot. Now, to be fair Glowinski looked to be much improved this time around. I'd say he DID win the starting RG spot flat out over Oday Aboushi. My question that I would raise would be -- what about Pocic for RG? It seemed like they never even gave him much of a chance there.

I dunno, in the end, I would say that Pocic is an extremely solid lineman who gives them a heck of a lot of depth and versatility at several different positions. Having a solid backup at several different positions is something they've honestly not had in years. So in that sense, he's an incredibly valuable asset to have. AND, he's only a rookie -- he's going to get better. I DO believe that Pocic WILL be starting for this team sooner or later somewhere on that line. He's just too talented not to IMO.

IndyHawk

Reaction score
pittpnthrs":1re9kmxo said:
I really thought he would be the starting right tackle when the season started (actually wanted to see him on the left side a little also). Ifedi is flat out terrible. The fact that Pocic isn't starting there is kind of alarming. I always thought Pocic was a curious pick. I haven't kept up with the other lineman drafted before him, but I need to look.

Den - Garrett Bolles (starting left tackle)
NO - Ryan Ramcyzk (starting left tackle)
SD - Forrest Lamp (injured)
Jags - Cam Robinson (starting left tackle but has to deal with JJ Watt his first game. Lol, good luck)

Nothing to do with the Seahawks of course, but I lost track of them. Rookies or not, they are starting.
Most of those listed were All Americans,almost a forgone conclusion that they would start unless injured.

ivotuk

Reaction score
Pocic was a CENTER at LSU. He also played "some" guard. Seahawks coaches tried him out at a couple of positions to see how he did, and determined that he wasn't ready to start at any of those positions.

The coaches decided that his best position, was the one that he actually played in college. Common sense.

He beat out a 2nd year former college center in Joey Hunt. That says a lot.

He will not beat out our Pro Bowl Center, Justin Britt. Considering those points, what should we do with him?

Play him at a position that he isn't proficient at, left or right tackle of course.

I'm not sure why anyone would think that Ethan Pocic should be a starting NFL tackle. Or why a rookie should beat out 2 experienced NFL Guards.

IMHO, Tom Cable has made the correct decision.

Ad Hawk

Reaction score
Considering the rate of O-line incidences, he's also the best choice to sit and wait for the inevitable (sorry to those of you who believe this is taboo and just stating it could actually cause an injury).

His versatility gives value, but he's still raw for the team. He'll probably be starting before the season is over, and for sure next year.

Smellyman

Reaction score
Russ Willstrong":2dipoefw said:
Arms.. Too short.
Waiting for them to fill out.
Will take some time.

Shortest Oline arms in the NFL, Joe Thomas

LeftHandSmoke

Reaction score
Seymour":1dk2wbnx said:
Did we just witness yet another oline miss? :?
For sure! And who else besides Cable should take all the shame and blame?

(running and ducking...)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

hawk45

Reaction score
ivotuk":2tilgk06 said:
Pocic was a CENTER at LSU. He also played "some" guard. Seahawks coaches tried him out at a couple of positions to see how he did, and determined that he wasn't ready to start at any of those positions.

The coaches decided that his best position, was the one that he actually played in college. Common sense.

He beat out a 2nd year former college center in Joey Hunt. That says a lot.

He will not beat out our Pro Bowl Center, Justin Britt. Considering those points, what should we do with him?

Play him at a position that he isn't proficient at, left or right tackle of course.

I'm not sure why anyone would think that Ethan Pocic should be a starting NFL tackle. Or why a rookie should beat out 2 experienced NFL Guards.

IMHO, Tom Cable has made the correct decision.

It's more an indictment of Germain Ifedi and our overall cluelessness at OT than anything else.

Also, we've made bigger leaps of faith in terms of inexperienced players at tackle, both sides of the line. That, I feel, is why the question is being raised, and it seems eminently reasonable to me. Pocic, having played actual football, and actual OL football, could be considered less of a stretch than Gilliam, Fant, or if we move inside from tackle Drew Nowak and J.R. Sweezy.

Add to that the fact that the team has shown a propensity for NOT hewing to a player's actual position in the past, and not finding a spot for Pocic is downright out of character.

chris98251

Reaction score
Maybe it's about not rushing youth into a situation, we were young last year and it showed, now we have guys with NFL experience, I thought Pocic played better then Ifedi, but there is a argument for the experience and knowing the schemes better. If Ifedi continues to look like a beaten dog I expect Pocic to step in. I think the speed on the edge is something that Pocic has to learn and adjust to at RT, as a Guard I thought he dominated. But that's not our position of real need anymore.

misfit

Reaction score
I'm still trying to figure out how Ifedi won the RT job. I saw nothing in preseason that made me feel good about it.