Can we cut Cary Williams after this year without a big cap h

Tical21

Reaction score
It is going to be really interesting to see what kind of plan they come up with this week. I think Sherm is the best corner in the league, but a receiver like Brown is his kryptonite. Ben is just going to go to work on Williams regardless. I too have wondered why we haven't seen any of Tye Smith. I don't think Shead is the answer at corner. Do we see Burley and Lane on the field together? Something tells me the Williams thing is over.

OP
OP
R

red grenadine

Reaction score
drdiags":z71gvnbp said:
If the team wouldn't pay Tate, no way they are paying Maxwell fair-market value after signing Sherman to the money they did. Maxwell just was not an option. B Max was a keeper but the team has to spend some of its cap on offense.

Hate the cap but others love it. Seems stupid that you cannot keep the players you invested time and resources developing but it does make the league more competitive and those fortunate enough to reap the benefits aren't weeping.

To be fair, 6 years / $63M for Maxwell was insanity

drrew

Reaction score
Maxwell will be in Philadelphia next season, and then cut before 2017 when he'll only carry $3.5m in dead money and provide $8m in cap savings. Getting rid of Maxwell this coming offseason would cost them $13m+ in dead money.

NewJerseyHawk

Reaction score
There are about 20CB's coming out of college next year that can replace both Williams and play the nickel....Seattle will have no problem replacing him and saving cap room.

Regarding Tye Smith and/or Lane or Burley...who knows....

Hasselbeck

Reaction score
Tical21":2oqy9ka1 said:
It is going to be really interesting to see what kind of plan they come up with this week. I think Sherm is the best corner in the league, but a receiver like Brown is his kryptonite. Ben is just going to go to work on Williams regardless. I too have wondered why we haven't seen any of Tye Smith. I don't think Shead is the answer at corner. Do we see Burley and Lane on the field together? Something tells me the Williams thing is over.

You only mentioned Brown too... not Bryant, Wheaton, Heath Miller and DeAngelo Williams.

I'd give Shead the start at CB if for anything to maybe change the psyche of the defense. We desperately need Lane back this week though.

Hawks46

Reaction score
NewJerseyHawk":3friuvke said:
There are about 20CB's coming out of college next year that can replace both Williams and play the nickel....Seattle will have no problem replacing him and saving cap room.

Regarding Tye Smith and/or Lane or Burley...who knows....

Yea, I have a feeling they're going to go with a high pick at CB next year.

I'd love to see OL, but we're going to get more bang for our buck with the best CB we can draft.

Northern Hawk

Reaction score
Yeah no coincidence when Shead went in the D suddenly looked more alive. I'd love to see Lane at number 2 next week with Williams/Shead/Burley rotating at nickel.

Pandion Haliaetus

Reaction score
If Seahawks desiginate Williams a june 1st cut it would be two $1,166,667 cap hits across the next two years.

To answer the question, no whether they take the full $2.33m or split it up... Its not necessarily a big cap hit either way.

Rocket

Reaction score
drdiags":v8ziu6cd said:
Here is Cary's 2016 numbers:

Player..............Base Salary....(Guaranteed)...Cap Number
Cary Williams..$5,000,000......$1,166,666.......$6,166,666
All our Catholic members will see why Cary was a bust by his cap number.
Is his middle name Damian? This is pretty creepy.

OP
OP
R

red grenadine

Reaction score
Pandion Haliaetus":rk8cw8cf said:
If Seahawks desiginate Williams a june 1st cut it would be two $1,166,667 cap hits across the next two years.

To answer the question, no whether they take the full $2.33m or split it up... Its not necessarily a big cap hit either way.

Hopefully Cary's lease on a home in WA doesn't last past June 1st then...

Tical21

Reaction score
Hasselbeck":9qx5s8ox said:
Tical21":9qx5s8ox said:

You only mentioned Brown too... not Bryant, Wheaton, Heath Miller and DeAngelo Williams.

I'd give Shead the start at CB if for anything to maybe change the psyche of the defense. We desperately need Lane back this week though.
I kinda got going on one tangent and stopped myself. I think Sherman matches up very well with Bryant and Wheaton, so I was thinking I wouldn't have him follow Brown around. Then I thought for a second about what would happen if Sherman didn't. I think we have to make Sherman chase him around the field and take our chances with the rest of them. Can you imagine Williams or Shead on Brown?

Pandion Haliaetus

Reaction score
red grenadine":3rtyrds2 said:
Pandion Haliaetus":3rtyrds2 said:

Hopefully Cary's lease on a home in WA doesn't last past June 1st then...

Well, I guess its May 10th now or something.

kearly

Reaction score
Seattle struck gold with Browner, they hoped to strike gold with Williams. Its not as easy to pull off in 2015 than it was in 2011 when very few teams in the NFL were using Pete's model.

xgeoff

Reaction score
I think a lot of us were scratching our heads when he was signed. He was not well thought of in Philly. He was not well regarded in general and did not grade out well as a CB. What did we see in this guy?

I think we should ditch him after this year, and CB should be a draft priority. It's not just that he's not very athletic. Frankly, Richard Sherman is not the most athletic guy. Sherman's best asset is his brain, and it seems obvious now that the biggest strength of the LOB was communication and the ability to play together as a group. Earl stated that not everyone is seeing things the same way. I think that probably indicates that the biggest issues in the secondary are communication and that Williams is probably not on the same page as the rest of the secondary in terms of what's going on.

RussB

Reaction score
Northern Hawk":1rmzodx6 said:
Yeah no coincidence when Shead went in the D suddenly looked more alive. I'd love to see Lane at number 2 next week with Williams/Shead/Burley rotating at nickel.
Exactly. Williams is a liability.

tmobilchawker79

Reaction score
Not trying to hijack the post, but let's not for a minute think that Cary Williams being benched will miraculously solve all our problems on defense. Anyone looking for an easy button best look elsewhere.

peppersjap

Reaction score
red grenadine":250vnm6k said:
seabowl":250vnm6k said:
Hell can we cut him today?

Wonder if the eagles would want to trade maxwell back for williams
The fact is that Maxwell signed a huge contract that was based on a great defense and not on his play, He was a very good piece of that but he was signed to a ridiculous contract so no way I would make that trade. I would cut Cary Williams though and move on. I do hope when people keep making posts about Maxwell that they have actually watched him play this year, he has not been good when he doesn't have the LOB backing him up. I'm sure the Eagles regret that signing.

titan3131

Reaction score
If they hadnt panicked we could have gotten charles peanut tillman imo, and he is on fire in carolina.

Bwarren

Reaction score
I agree that they will draft a high CB pick in the next draft. Oline is a different story. They need to get a good vet and Bring in some good experienced talent. Rookie lineman don't seem to do well in our scheme. Too much spread offense blocking in college