Can we cut Cary Williams after this year without a big cap h

SomersetHawk

Reaction score
We can cut Cary Williams this year. Got to clear space for Lane, he's been benched, and doesn't play that many special teams snaps (around 17% I think).

Now we almost definitely wont, but stranger things have happened.

Basis4day

Reaction score
titan3131":3gi14ofr said:
If they hadnt panicked we could have gotten charles peanut tillman imo, and he is on fire in carolina.

I think signing a 34 year old CB coming off of season ending injury would have been seen as just as much of a panic move as Williams. They had to do something with all the secondary injuries.

I don't fault the FO for signing Williams. Not as many options as hind-site seems to give us.

SomersetHawk

Reaction score
Basis4day":1yvkfup4 said:
titan3131":1yvkfup4 said:
If they hadnt panicked we could have gotten charles peanut tillman imo, and he is on fire in carolina.

I think signing a 34 year old CB coming off of season ending injury would have been seen as just as much of a panic move as Williams. They had to do something with all the secondary injuries.

I don't fault the FO for signing Williams. Not as many options as hind-site seems to give us.

Plus I doubt Tillman has 32" arms, which is completely freakin ridiculous because Williams' might as well be 20" T-rex arms.

kidhawk

Reaction score
I would definitely like to see an upgrade in ability over Williams next season, whether that be Simon finally healthy, Lane, or someone through the draft, I don't know. Let's try to at least be realistic about it though. Maxwell is absolutely out of the question in any realistic trade scenario.

Even eliminating his signing bonus which Philly would eat, these are his numbers moving forward.

2016 - $8.5 million salary
2017 - $10 million salary w/$500k Roster Bonus
2018 - $9.75 million salary w/$250k Roster Bonus
2019 - $9.5 million salary w/$250k Roster Bonus
2020 - $10.5 million salary w/$250k Roster Bonus

He's going to milk ever cent of that until philly cuts him, because no team will take that contract for that player. I love Pete and John, but I'd call for heads to roll if hey blew that kind of cash on Maxwell. We have other more important needs to fill, and I'd sooner trust them to draft a replacement for Williams than bring in an expensive free agent.

OP
OP
R

red grenadine

Reaction score
kidhawk":7rj4nm63 said:
I would definitely like to see an upgrade in ability over Williams next season, whether that be Simon finally healthy, Lane, or someone through the draft, I don't know. Let's try to at least be realistic about it though. Maxwell is absolutely out of the question in any realistic trade scenario.

Even eliminating his signing bonus which Philly would eat, these are his numbers moving forward.

He's going to milk ever cent of that until philly cuts him, because no team will take that contract for that player. I love Pete and John, but I'd call for heads to roll if hey blew that kind of cash on Maxwell. We have other more important needs to fill, and I'd sooner trust them to draft a replacement for Williams than bring in an expensive free agent.

Oh yeah, no way we take Maxwell back. I didn't realize just how insane that contract was.

Crizilla

Reaction score
Cary Williams actually had a decent game when he was with Baltimore in superbowl XLVII.....

Basis4day

Reaction score
kidhawk":3swsf2iv said:

Based on the way the contract is structured he'll be with the Eagles through next season. Most of his guaranteed money will have been paid out and he'll likely be cut.

jblaze

Reaction score
All up to competition this week for Williams. Maybe Shead will beat him out.

Looks like Lane will play in the slot and I wouldn't be surprised to see Sherman follow Bryant around instead of Brown. Use scheme and formations to hold Brown when on the outside and Lane when he's inside.

This week will be a big challenge for the LOB. Would love to see them dominate once again. Playoff percentage with a win is 76% and with a loss it drops to 26% so that's a huge swing. Need this game.

massari

Reaction score
JS/PC should've consulted Eagles fans before signing Williams.

They all knew....

bjornanderson21

Reaction score
NewJerseyHawk":26hac0ju said:
There are about 20CB's coming out of college next year that can replace both Williams and play the nickel....Seattle will have no problem replacing him and saving cap room.

Regarding Tye Smith and/or Lane or Burley...who knows....
If its so easy for them to replace him, why weren't they able to avoid him in the first place?

Instead of making bad trades they could have been drafting players for the team.

I expect him to be gone next year, but avoiding him this year would have been just as easy as replacing him next year and that didnt happen...

Latest posts