Cap space and the FA's

scutterhawk

Reaction score
hawknation2014":3iy42as3 said:
volsunghawk":3iy42as3 said:
hawknation2014":3iy42as3 said:
$30 million over five seasons is probably too much when they have cheaper options for a No. 2 receiver.

Like who?

A couple of them are already on the roster: Doug Baldwin (restricted free agent) and Jermaine Kearse (signed though 2014). Both Baldwin and Kearse can be re-signed for less than half of what Tate will command in free agency.

Let's consider the numbers for these three players in the playoffs:

Doug Baldwin- 202 receiving yards, 13 receptions, 15.5 yards per reception, TD
Jermaine Kearse - 134 receiving yards, 7 receptions, 19.1 yards per reception, 2 TDs
Golden Tate- 61 receiving yards, 8 receptions, 7.6 yards per reception, 0 TDs

IMO, Kearse (X) and Baldwin (Z) pair better with Harvin (Y) in three WR sets. Kearse and Baldwin do a better job at consistently creating separation. They each averaged more yards per reception in the regular season (15.7 and 15.6 yards per reception, respectively) than Tate (14.0). Despite fewer opportunities, they combined for nine TDs to Tate's five.

Baldwin, Tate, and Kearse would be a great receiver corps. I would rather sign Kearse and Baldwin to long term deals, and draft an elite X receiver, than throw a lot of money at a less consistent receiver.
I consider the WHOLE Season numbers to count, and NOT JUST PLAYOFFS numbers, as he was a big part of getting the Seahawks INTO the playoffs.
When Doug Baldwin was hurt in 2012, his production was way down.
Now YOU and a few others around here may not like Tate, or believe that he shouldn't get a decent payday, because there could MAYBE be a Receiver in the Draft that MIGHT be able to match Tate's YAC, I totally disagree.
So we bring in another EXPERIMENT Receiver, and he doesn't make the connections in his first Year, and maybe not even in his second, then what?
Point is, with Tate, you have a KNOWN, and with someone else, you are taking a gamble.

hawknation2014

Reaction score
scutterhawk":1361ox91 said:
I consider the WHOLE Season numbers to count, and NOT JUST PLAYOFFS numbers, as he was a big part of getting the Seahawks INTO the playoffs.
When Doug Baldwin was hurt in 2012, his production was way down.
Now YOU and a few others around here may not like Tate, or believe that he shouldn't get a decent payday, because there could MAYBE be a Receiver in the Draft that MIGHT be able to match Tate's YAC, I totally disagree.
So we bring in another EXPERIMENT Receiver, and he doesn't make the connections in his first Year, and maybe not even in his second, then what?
Point is, with Tate, you have a KNOWN, and with someone else, you are taking a gamble.

If Percy Harvin's salary is to be justified, then he will be the No. 1 receiver going forward. We can't afford to pay Tate No. 1 receiver money because he is not the No. 1 receiver. He's great with yards after the catch, but he doesn't get open consistently enough to justify a $30 million contract. His role could easily be replaced with Harvin, along with re-signing Baldwin and Kearse.

Finding a fourth receiver in the draft is just the cherry on top because 1) we already have three excellent receivers and 2) this is an extremely deep year for receivers in the draft.

Latest posts