Captain stars question

pmedic920

Reaction score
I find it odd that players get to wear 4 stars when it’s their first year with a team.

This is the first year I’ve noticed this.

Has it always been that way, or is this a rule change??

Anyone know?

Seahawkfan80

Reaction score
Is this a captains insignia that you are looking at?

Seahawkfan80

Reaction score

Captains have four stars beneath their C on their team’s captain patches​

The number of years a player has been a captain is shown by the color of the stars underneath the C. The number of years that a player has been captain with that franchise counts as one star, and when he reaches five years, his patch gets gold with four gold stars underneath it.

When a player retires or is traded from a team, his captainship ends and he no longer wears the C with four white stars beneath the C.

Each year that a player is captain with that franchise counts as one star, and when he reaches five years, his patch gets gold with four gold stars underneath it

When a player retires or is traded from team, his captainship ends and he no longer wears the captains’ badge but retains all other honors associated with being captain such as website mentions etc.. He may still attend games if desired though not wear any colors indicating leadership roles on game day

OP
OP
pmedic920

pmedic920

Reaction score

Captains have four stars beneath their C on their team’s captain patches​

The number of years a player has been a captain is shown by the color of the stars underneath the C. The number of years that a player has been captain with that franchise counts as one star, and when he reaches five years, his patch gets gold with four gold stars underneath it.

When a player retires or is traded from a team, his captainship ends and he no longer wears the C with four white stars beneath the C.

Each year that a player is captain with that franchise counts as one star, and when he reaches five years, his patch gets gold with four gold stars underneath it

When a player retires or is traded from team, his captainship ends and he no longer wears the captains’ badge but retains all other honors associated with being captain such as website mentions etc.. He may still attend games if desired though not wear any colors indicating leadership roles on game day
Thanks but that’s still confusing.
It would seem that players aren’t supposed to stay all gold when they change teams. Maybe I miss read it.

Seahawkfan80

Reaction score
When they change teams, they start over on the new team. It is about the team they are on now. The years and experience.

OP
OP
pmedic920

pmedic920

Reaction score
Ok, but if that’s correct why is Bobby Wagner wearing an all gold patch?

I noticed this for the first time when we played the Broncos. Wilson’s patch was all gold.

Seahawkfan80

Reaction score

WHAT DOES THE C AND STAR MEAN ON NFL JERSEYS?​

There are a few different meanings behind the C and star on NFL jerseys. The first is that it stands for Champion, which is what the team’s championship banner at their stadium usually reads.
The second meaning is that it represents the players’ union.

Seahawkfan80

Reaction score
In my humble opinion, if the prospective captain is a former captain with another team, they are probably respecting that person's knowledge and wisdom in the league and give him/her the respect they deserve. That is if they are a captain of the same position in the new team.

OP
OP
pmedic920

pmedic920

Reaction score

WHAT DOES THE C AND STAR MEAN ON NFL JERSEYS?​

There are a few different meanings behind the C and star on NFL jerseys. The first is that it stands for Champion, which is what the team’s championship banner at their stadium usually reads.
The second meaning is that it represents the players’ union.
No no no friend.

I’m talking specifically about the Captain patch.
There is one for offense, one for defense, and one for special teams.

The “C” has small stars under it.
Stars turn gold for each year the player has been Captain.

My question is about a player that changes teams but retains all his gold stars instead of starting over with the new team.

Seahawkfan80

Reaction score
I agree with your point. It should start over. Should be just a C with no stars or any gold electroplating. LOL after all, it is a new team beginning from scratch with that new team.

Seahawkfan80

Reaction score
Naw, stars are added for each year you are on that team. A Gold star is special. A gold star indicates that someone has been captain for many years, which in turn gets them some privileges – like preferential seating at games or better service from team members. It doesn’t matter if you’re a goalkeeper, pitcher, or outfielder; being captain of your team marks you as leader and gives you an important role to play on the field or court/ballroom floor respectively.