Carlos Dunlap Love Letter to Seattle

AROS

Administrator
Administrator
Reaction score
I don't care how many years left he has wearing Blue and Green...

I know who my next jersey is going to be.

keasley45

Reaction score
That is just an awesome read. Hard not to like the dude. He seems like a great player and a better person.

It also just makes me appreciate this team more and all of the work that goes into building a winner both with respect to the team and to individuals at a personal level. It's obvious that Pete and his crew know how to do this. And its remarkable that they are able to build a winning franchise from the root of just trying to nurture positive people. That's hard. I ran a business for a while. 45 people. Creative field. And we built the company on a philosophy of growing talent and good people and believing that if we did that right, great product, great client relationships and great success would follow. It is incredibly rewarding but from an emotional perspective, incredibly taxing. To be plugged into the team AND with the same energy and commitment, be plugged into the specific needs and personalities of each team member.

To do that at the level of professional football. And to maintain a level of performance and success thst the hawks have for so long under Pete. AND- for the players that come through here to speak so highly if tgr environment, of the staff, the front office... and nit from an x's and o's perspective first, but from a human perspective. I don't know that 2% of us fans or the media get how special this place is or how special this era of hawks ball is. We can lament the losses and get down on the players and coaches we love to hate whenever things don't go as well as they should. But for this front office, and for Pete Carrol to have created here what he has is special and significant beyond football. He's created a process that churns out great work ethic, great conraderie, instills passion, and Supreme confidence, belief in one's self and one another. This hawks era is about soo much more than the sport we see on the field. Its about the beauty of the human condition and what we can accomplish individually and together when we can harnessn the best we have within us. It's less football, and more, just life.

I've been as guilty as anyone for rolling my eyes when Pete or Russ start on the soap box of ... believe the process, trust in the preparation. I've cracked jokes about them, as the media has, and accused them of being too rahrah. Or too robotic. But honestly, I think at some point we will all realize that the joke was on any of us who just couldn't get what it was this team, this franchise is about and how gosh darn brilliant the front office is at bringing together a family of guys around such an uncommon flag. And to have them rally to the flag with such a fervor and energy thst it generates winning. And not just winning, but championships.

Thank you for the note Dunlop 43. Thank you Pete, John, Brian, Ken and everybody else that contributes each and everyday to making this team the extraordinary experience that it is. Even if us fans (myself included), conditioned to judge our teams solely on the merit of x's and o's,... W's and L's can't always see the brilliance of it.

God, I love this team.

GO Hawks!! Win, lose or draw, the best damn franchise in football.

RolandDeschain

Reaction score
Damn, that write-up hits you right in the feels. Getting the Lombardi Trophy this season would be freaking amazing.

QuahHawk

Reaction score
Great Read, was coming here to post the link bu got beat to it.

This team has some big time playmaker and passionate players. After the SB loss you, every home game I went to for the next 3 years I kept thinking our Defense has no swagger, no passion. Frank Clark flashed passion and swagger for us but our talent was just not there. Then last year I felt that swagger when Diggs was on the field. This current Defense has Swagger and Talent. They are playing damn well, I don't care what teams we played, they were NFL teams that this D that has finally built cohesion was able to stuff.

So stoked for tomorrow's game.

evergreen

Reaction score
What an epic midseason trade by John. Both trades (Adams) are game changers.

Hockey Guy

Reaction score
NO!!!

He's just wrong just like all the delusional rose-colored glassers that post here.

Pete & the whole coaching staff as well as all management needs to be fired immediately if not sooner. They did something at some point that I didn't agree with so they obviously must go.

Building a winning culture & winning football games in the NFL is the easiest thing ever. Just ask anybody on any other team.

AROS

Administrator
Administrator
Reaction score
keasley45":31idnjuc said:
That is just an awesome read. Hard not to like the dude. He seems like a great player and a better person.

It also just makes me appreciate this team more and all of the work that goes into building a winner both with respect to the team and to individuals at a personal level. It's obvious that Pete and his crew know how to do this. And its remarkable that they are able to build a winning franchise from the root of just trying to nurture positive people. That's hard. I ran a business for a while. 45 people. Creative field. And we built the company on a philosophy of growing talent and good people and believing that if we did that right, great product, great client relationships and great success would follow. It is incredibly rewarding but from an emotional perspective, incredibly taxing. To be plugged into the team AND with the same energy and commitment, be plugged into the specific needs and personalities of each team member.

To do that at the level of professional football. And to maintain a level of performance and success thst the hawks have for so long under Pete. AND- for the players that come through here to speak so highly if tgr environment, of the staff, the front office... and nit from an x's and o's perspective first, but from a human perspective. I don't know that 2% of us fans or the media get how special this place is or how special this era of hawks ball is. We can lament the losses and get down on the players and coaches we love to hate whenever things don't go as well as they should. But for this front office, and for Pete Carrol to have created here what he has is special and significant beyond football. He's created a process that churns out great work ethic, great conraderie, instills passion, and Supreme confidence, belief in one's self and one another. This hawks era is about soo much more than the sport we see on the field. Its about the beauty of the human condition and what we can accomplish individually and together when we can harnessn the best we have within us. It's less football, and more, just life.

I've been as guilty as anyone for rolling my eyes when Pete or Russ start on the soap box of ... believe the process, trust in the preparation. I've cracked jokes about them, as the media has, and accused them of being too rahrah. Or too robotic. But honestly, I think at some point we will all realize that the joke was on any of us who just couldn't get what it was this team, this franchise is about and how gosh darn brilliant the front office is at bringing together a family of guys around such an uncommon flag. And to have them rally to the flag with such a fervor and energy thst it generates winning. And not just winning, but championships.

Thank you for the note Dunlop 43. Thank you Pete, John, Brian, Ken and everybody else that contributes each and everyday to making this team the extraordinary experience that it is. Even if us fans (myself included), conditioned to judge our teams solely on the merit of x's and o's,... W's and L's can't always see the brilliance of it.

God, I love this team.

Posts like yours give me hope for NET's future. Very well put. It's true. We have been spoiled to an absurd degree over the past decade. Not just in the wins but to your point, the brilliance that has encapsulated this organization from the top down, and we would all agree the genesis of this all began with the late great Paul Allen.

Find me one organization in all of professional sports where players have raved about their team's commitment to not just cultivating competition, and a winning culture, but celebrating each individual to be the best they can be, on and off the field. It's true, we as fans have the right to complain and roll our eyes at game plans, adjustments, company line mantras and generic press conferences. But these mantras are not just lip service, they are a way of life, the very backbone of a winning culture that has proven sustainable.

There will come a day were all of us, each and every one of us, will mourn the loss of this era. I have no idea what is in store once Pete, John, Russ and company are long gone but something tells me we will all miss this era like none other. Enjoy it, embrace it and don't take a single moment for granted.

Fan bickering is eternal, but it's just noise. What really matters is what's going on inside that locker room, the practice fields, the offices at the VMAC that translates to the field every single season. Mack Strong always put it simply; "Winning in the NFL is hard." It's damn hard. Never take for granted how easy this team makes it look sometimes. And even when they don't make it look easy, in a way, they still do.

When winning is near routine, wow, that is a sure fire sign that the culture is sound. GO HAWKS!

keasley45

Reaction score
acer1240":17ii5wys said:
Keasley...

Best post I've ever read here

Thanks man. But as I read it again it's hard to get by the typos. I blame it on a narrow phone and wide thumbs.

But yeah. I guess one can get to that 'A ha!' Moment when, for me, after 10 years of watching Pete and John's Hawks play that it sinks in that what makes them great is that they beat you with passion and strength of will. When you think back on the magical moments this team has had, they aren't the thing of schemes and strategies. They are mostly about heart. Commitment and belief. And when they are tapped into that fire, they are difficult to beat. And I think Pete and the team are really feeling that beyond the playsheets, this year's team has 'IT'.

Reading Carlos's letter to the 12's just brings clarity to what i think many of us know but often forget- that this team is special in a very different way. One that you just can't measure or critique by typical means.

keasley45

Reaction score
Aros":147bezmj said:
keasley45":147bezmj said:

God, I love this team.

Posts like yours give me hope for NET's future. Very well put. It's true. We have been spoiled to an absurd degree over the past decade. Not just in the wins but to your point, the brilliance that has encapsulated this organization from the top down, and we would all agree the genesis of this all began with the late great Paul Allen.

Find me one organization in all of professional sports where players have raved about their team's commitment to not just cultivating competition, and a winning culture, but celebrating each individual to be the best they can be, on and off the field. It's true, we as fans have the right to complain and roll our eyes at game plans, adjustments, company line mantras and generic press conferences. But these mantras are not just lip service, they are a way of life, the very backbone of a winning culture that has proven sustainable.

There will come a day were all of us, each and every one of us, will mourn the loss of this era. I have no idea what is in store once Pete, John, Russ and company are long gone but something tells me we will all miss this era like none other. Enjoy it, embrace it and don't take a single moment for granted.

Fan bickering is eternal, but it's just noise. What really matters is what's going on inside that locker room, the practice fields, the offices at the VMAC that translates to the field every single season. Mack Strong always put it simply; "Winning in the NFL is hard." It's damn hard. Never take for granted how easy this team makes it look sometimes. And even when they don't make it look easy, in a way, they still do.

When winning is near routine, wow, that is a sure fire sign that the culture is sound. GO HAWKS!

Amen. Well said! And thanks for doing your part to give us all .Net so that us fans have a place to come and just be fans. It's a treat for us 'away' fans that no longer reside (or never have) in the PNW and can't do regular, local fan stuff. This place is a treasure and soooo much better than the average NFL team forum.

KUDOS

chris98251

Reaction score
Cool read, really enjoyed the practice insight also, thats something we have not heard much about this season.

Sports Hernia

Reaction score
Sgt. Largent":1te9anwj said:
Please read this letter Carlos Dunlap wrote about his experience being traded and coming to Seattle. If he's not your favorite Hawk after reading this, I don't know what to tell you. Absolutely goosebump inducing, such a good dude, and now he's our good dude.

https://www.theplayerstribune.com/posts ... l-football
Awesome. Thanks for posting.

PateratoWilson

Reaction score
Great read. Great post. I only hope at some point Carlos gets to hear the 12s in real life on his side.

TraderGary

Reaction score
acer1240":s24b1lge said:
Keasley...

Best post I've ever read here
I second that. It doesn't get much better than that. Beautifully said Keasley.

I've been openly critical of Pete at times in this forum, and he's certainly not without his faults. But the culture he and JS have built in Seattle may be unmatched in all of sports. They made the Hawks a destination that players want to come to, want to play for, and it's all because of guys like Pete and John. These things don't happen by accident. And as someone said earlier, it all started with the late great Paul Allen.

I think many of us take for granted, myself included, the great team and organization from top to bottom that we are fortunate enough to have in Seattle. We are very fortunate indeed.

And to the original subject of the OP, wow, what a cool guy and great addition Carlos is. Total class, and fits in with this great team and organization perfectly!

Little over 17 hours to go until kickoff and I am pumped! Let's make Darnold eat his words about them wanting the Hawks in the playoffs.

LET'S DO THIS HAWKS!!!

TraderGary

Reaction score
Aros":1q724nav said:
keasley45":1q724nav said:

God, I love this team.

There are some amazing posts in this thread, and this is one of them.

Aros, I'm still pretty new here, but based on some of the posts I've read in this forum, my impression is you're the person responsible for creating this forum?

If so, I want to sincerely thank you. This is the best sports forum I have found anywhere. The intelligence, the class, and the football IQ by the participants here is first rate.

We've all been affected one way or another by this pandemic we're experiencing. But having a place like this to come to and have intelligent and civil discussions about our favorite team, and perhaps take our minds off what's going on in the world for a while, has helped me maintain my sanity. (Well I guess that depends on who you ask ;)) But anyway, I just wanted to say thanks to you and all the other participants here for the best sports forum on the net.

I'll tell you what, after reading Carlos's awesome open letter to the fans, and then reading some of the amazing posts in this thread, I'm not a young man, but I feel like I want to put on a Hawks uniform and get out on the field and hit somebody! Of course they would be carrying me out on a stretcher after the first play, but damn what an experience it would be! :lol:

GO HAWKS!!!

AROS

Administrator
Administrator
Reaction score
TraderGary":ulxu3r94 said:

Aros, I'm still pretty new here, but based on some of the posts I've read in this forum, my impression is you're the person responsible for creating this forum?

If so, I want to sincerely thank you. This is the best sports forum I have found anywhere. The intelligence, the class, and the football IQ by the participants here is first rate.

We've all been affected one way or another by this pandemic we're experiencing. But having a place like this to come to and have intelligent and civil discussions about our favorite team, and perhaps take our minds off what's going on in the world for a while, has helped me maintain my sanity. (Well I guess that depends on who you ask ;)) But anyway, I just wanted to say thanks to you and all the other participants here for the best sports forum on the net.

I'll tell you what, after reading Carlos's awesome open letter to the fans, and then reading some of the amazing posts in this thread, I'm not a young man, but I feel like I want to put on a Hawks uniform and get out on the field and hit somebody! Of course they would be carrying me out on a stretcher after the first play, but damn what an experience it would be! :lol:

GO HAWKS!!!

LOL, I know just how you feel! My dumpy 52-year-old ass might have a heart attack after 3 minutes on an NFL field but I would give them everything I have for those 3 minutes!

Yes, I created .NET years ago in 1998, I will take credit for that, but the credit for the sustainability and reputation for being one of the best fan forums for decades now belongs to all those who call this place home - past and present - and to those owners who have continued to carry the torch.

When my time on earth in this go around comes to an end, I will be most proud of the friendships, communion and sanctuary this place has afforded many 12's over the years. A place to call home on the Internet is a special, special thing to me.

No matter what happens tomorrow, I am so very proud of this team and what they accomplished in what has been a historic nightmare for most humans. To win our division, the toughest in all of the NFL with a 12-4 record, without one single player or employee of the team testing positive for COVID is an insane accomplishment and further underscores the spirit of this thread in every way.

sc85sis

Reaction score
Aros":1wwcxz3e said:
keasley45":1wwcxz3e said:

God, I love this team.

I've mentioned much of the following previously, but it seems appropriate to post it again in this thread.

My sister is a USC alum, so when we moved to CA from MI in 1999, I started watching USC games on occasion. The team was bad; they were a sad shell of the great Trojans teams of the past. Then Pete arrived. Fans weren't happy. He was a “failed” NFL guy who hadn't coached at the college level in years. Heritage Hall was inundated with angry calls, letters, emails, and faxes. Little did anyone know...

They went 6-6 that first year, including an ugly loss in their bowl game. But you could see the seeds of what Pete was building, and there was just something about HIM - that energy, that pure joy he got from coaching and watching his guys find success. It was palpable. It was fun!

Needless to say, he did pretty damned well as head coach of the Trojans, and along the way, I became a total convert. I read, watched, and listened to everything I could find about Pete Carroll - his coaching, his work in the community, his approach, and his philosophy.

January 2010 came along and word filtered out that Pete was leaving USC for Seattle. I was crushed. I knew what USC was losing (though I didn't realize just how bad it would get). But I also was excited about the possibilities for the Seahawks. Although I've not been to Seattle, we have family history there. I‘d seen what Pete did for a moribund USC program, and I had complete faith that he could recreate that in Seattle. I wanted to experience it with other fans.

I found this forum and lurked for a week or so before posting. I expressed my belief in Pete and let everyone know I couldn't wait to share in the joy I knew was coming. I suspect some of the folks here thought I was nuts, but I honestly expected a Super Bowl win at some point in the next few years.

It's ten years later, and I'm still enjoying the ride. There have been ups and downs, but I wouldn't have missed it for anything. And I'm still a Pete Carroll convert. He's not perfect, but he is extraordinary in many ways, and he does his best to make things special for those around him. I'm thankful Carlos recognizes that and was willing to share his story with all of us.

Go Hawks!

TraderGary

Reaction score
Aros":3gqcshz9 said:
TraderGary":3gqcshz9 said:

GO HAWKS!!!

LOL, I know just how you feel! My dumpy 52-year-old ass might have a heart attack after 3 minutes on an NFL field but I would give them everything I have for those 3 minutes!

Yes, I created .NET years ago in 1998, I will take credit for that, but the credit for the sustainability and reputation for being one of the best fan forums for decades now belongs to all those who call this place home - past and present - and to those owners who have continued to carry the torch.

When my time on earth in this go around comes to an end, I will be most proud of the friendships, communion and sanctuary this place has afforded many 12's over the years. A place to call home on the Internet is a special, special thing to me.

Well I'm older than you and I don't think I would last 3 minutes, but I'd sure give it everything I had for as long as I possibly could. :lol:

All kidding aside, beautifully said sir, and that credit is well deserved. Thank you.

Wow since 1998? I did not know that. That's some serious staying power, and as you said, speaks to the great people here who continue to carry the torch. Happy to be a small part of that.

Aros":3gqcshz9 said:
No matter what happens tomorrow, I am so very proud of this team and what they accomplished in what has been a historic nightmare for most humans. To win our division, the toughest in all of the NFL with a 12-4 record, without one single player or employee of the team testing positive for COVID is an insane accomplishment and further underscores the spirit of this thread in every way.
That's a great point, and I wholeheartedly agree.

FPD

Reaction score
Dayum man...no doubt about it...my next jersey for sure!

Thank you Mr. Carlos Dunlap II!