Carroll: Earl Thomas would be PR if season started today

Rocket

Reaction score
sc85sis":1eyp0zko said:
The return game--especially on punts--isn't just about speed. You have to have great field vision, be good at following the blocks set up by your return team, have excellent hands, etc.
Yep. Earl got all that.

Still makes me nervous.

SalishHawkFan

Reaction score
HawkNuts":2gu0vi6g said:
I have no doubts teams would target Earl. They know how important he is to the defense. Anyone who actually thinks this is a good idea isn't playing with a full deck.
People have been saying since the day Pete got here that he isn't playing with a full deck. But so long as all he deals himself are aces, then I say he's crazy like a fox.

DavidSeven

Reaction score
Yeah, wouldn't surprise me if Pete just put it out there as motivation for young guys who want the job or even just to troll the media.

That being said, we all know Pete is obsessed with special teams. He'll randomly throw Earl and Kam in kick coverage. I see Sherman and Baldwin blocking for returns. His best players can get hurt doing those things, too. Almost nothing would surprise me.

Captain

Reaction score
I'd be ok with him returning punts under 2 conditions:

1- The other team is punting out of or close to their own endzone.

or

2- It's the 4th qtr and they need a big play.

hawknation2014

Reaction score
My impression from watching today's press conferences with Carroll and Harvin is that they will eventually want Harvin to move into the role of both kick and punt returner. Harvin is vying for that role right now, but he has to adjust to it because he hasn't done it in a game since high school. The Thomas/Sherman at PR comments were signaling that fear of injuries is something that will not limit this team. I think the last time Carroll had a player return both punts and kicks was at SC with Reggie Bush.

HawKnPeppa

Reaction score
It's really up for grabs at this point. So far we know that Earl, Sherm, Walters and Percy are in the mix. The best combo of hands, speed and elusiveness just might be Paul Richardson. I'd also like to see C-Mike in the mix. Rockette must not have the feel for it, because he definitely has the speed. Jeremy Lane? LOL!

byau

Reaction score
Scottemojo":2l45y6ke said:
Need I remind our resident old guys, Kenny Easley was a hell of a punt returner

Didn't Easley get injured in a particularly hard hit on a punt return ? And he was out a few games?

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
SalishHawkFan":1cztrvzg said:
Sgt. Largent":1cztrvzg said:
SalishHawkFan":1cztrvzg said:
MYTH: Punt returning is inherently more dangerous than other positions on the field.

FACT: Studies have shown that punt returners get injured less often per play than players in other positions.

This is a whole lot of hang wringing over nothing. ET would make a fantastic and explosive punt returner. Go watch that interception return vs Buffalo in 2012.

FACT: If you never return a punt the chance of getting injured drops to 0%.
FACT: Mr. Glass Harvin's chance of returning a kickoff for a TD in the Super Bowl would equal his chance to get injured if he doesn't return the kick.

I don't know why you keep comparing Harvin to ET, it's not even close to the same situation.

We SIGNED Harvin for KO's, he knows how to do it, which means he knows how to take the proper angles in order not to get hurt. Again Earl would probably be a great punt returner, but I just don't want my most important defensive player doing anything other than being my most important defensive player............not when we have at least 4-5 other players on the roster who can return punts. Makes no sense to me, and Pete only said it in order to motivate the other contenders.

OrFan

Reaction score
Agreed with the idea that it is Pete's way of motivating young guys to step up. If they see Earl agreeing with doing it and publicly saying this is how he can help the team, even though he is a superstar with a big new contract, they see that they are not above doing anything they can to help out.

Leading by example is the best motivator.

hawknation2014

Reaction score
OrFan":2jv4cuhl said:
Agreed with the idea that it is Pete's way of motivating young guys to step up. If they see Earl agreeing with doing it and publicly saying this is how he can help the team, even though he is a superstar with a big new contract, they see that they are not above doing anything they can to help out.

Leading by example is the best motivator.

:13:

Ad Hawk

Reaction score
Earl's job is to be a heat-seeking missile and destroy opponents.

Can he make the mental jump to eluding opponents rather than pummeling them in to submission?

Either way, it would be fun to watch; but I'd rather save his playing time for D.

mjwhitay

Reaction score
Man, all this talk about him being too valuable is silly. He's been on the kickoff coverage team forever.

byau

Reaction score
First thought: KO returns and punt returns are different.

Second thought: If Russell Wilson were the best guy for the job, would you want him to return punts? Better example: If you are a 49ers fan, Kap is a really good open field runner .. long strides, deceptively fast, would you want him to return punts? You aren't paying these guys top dollar to return punts. Such a small risk/reward and there are likely a lot of guys who great potential punt returners, esp. those that won't get a lot of snaps otherwise.

Third thought: Am I analogizing that Earl Thomas is to the defense as Russell Wilson is to the offense? Yes.

MizzouHawkGal

Reaction score
Hasselbeck":22rnhp6f said:
Not sure if serious...

RT @bcondotta: Lots of personnel updates from Carroll. Says Earl Thomas would be punt returner if season started today.
I hope to God this doesn't happen. I really hope someone, anyone else will step up in preseason.

Pandion Haliaetus

Reaction score
Don't really care.

Earl Thomas can do whatever the eff he wants, and he's wants to return punts plus he has a lot of confidence. If the dude could withstand making 90+ tackles every year, I'm sure he'll be alright.

2ndly, I like the idea of getting all these guys like ET, Harvin, and Sherman PR reps. The more they can do, the better they is... according to Patrick Peterson.

LickMyNuts

Reaction score
In other news Russell Wilson is the new gunner on kickoffs.

There isn't much of a comparison to tackling as a safety and getting hit around your legs returning punts. Some guys are good at taking hits and going down without getting hurt. Russell Wilson is one of those guys. Barry Sanders and Marshawn Lynch are too. The only way to know if Earl Thomas is one of those guys is to throw him in there. No thanks.

seahawks08

Reaction score
here is my confusion, when you play defense, you run towards the opposing team and try to hit them hard, when you are returning punts, you are trying to avoid being tackled. I am not sure how you adjust midway to avoid personnel versus go after them, plus when the defense is on the field longer, you normally don't put someone from defense to return punts, because they need a break, catch a breath or recuperate. Its all nice to say it that ET can return punts, but you want to give it to someone who is natural to thinking as an offense mind rather than a defense mind. I will be surprised if they pick anyone from our defense to return punts.

Latest posts