Carroll on Jeremy Lane: "Always Compete"

Scorpion05

Reaction score
"Head coach Pete Carroll said exactly what you'd think he'd say about the ill-advised tweets, essentially admiring Lane's competitive fire and reminding everyone competition rules in the land of the Hawks.

"He wants to play. He wants to play," Carroll said twice for emphasis during his Wednesday press conference, when asked what he thought of the tweets. "He hasn't had a chance to practice. He had a little bit of work last week [but] hasn't practiced with us yet really.

"With a guy coming off a groin, he has to go today, tomorrow and Friday and see how he recovers from those days and see if he's ready by gameday. We don't know that yet but he's battling to come back and this place is about competition. There's competition on both sides. We've had really good play at the positions he vacated and those guys are doing a good job, which is exactly what we want. He just wants to play.""

https://247sports.com/nfl/seattle-seaha ... -109447266

I know some will argue Pete has lost the team, or that Lane should be traded for throwing a "tantrum." But I actually like this response. I think the Seahawks culture is very unique in that it allows people to express their raw emotion in a competitive way. In the end, virtually every player on that team wants the team to do well. I think the team is much closer than we give it credit for and Lane's comments aren't taken personally in the locker room. It's just that we live in an age where athletes can express their opinion to the world within a few seconds

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
Scorpion05":1jpz3wlb said:
I know some will argue Pete has lost the team, or that Lane should be traded for throwing a "tantrum."

I don't know anyone that thinks either of these two things.

I want to trade Lane, but it's to free up his 2M cap hit so we can get a decent tackle in here. It's also because he's now expendable with Shead coming back and how well Coleman and Griffin are playing.

Bobblehead

Reaction score
Yet even if you do compete and compete at a higher level, it doesn't necessarily qualify you to make the team. It just simply means you have no shot at making the team.

AlciG

Reaction score
Bobblehead":obee27nz said:
Yet even if you do compete and compete at a higher level, it doesn't necessarily qualify you to make the team. It just simply means you have no shot at making the team.

huh... I'm confused on what you are trying to say

OP
OP
Scorpion05

Scorpion05

Reaction score
Sgt. Largent":1xkrw7di said:
Scorpion05":1xkrw7di said:
I know some will argue Pete has lost the team, or that Lane should be traded for throwing a "tantrum."

I want to trade Lane, but it's to free up his 2M cap hit so we can get a decent tackle in here. It's also because he's now expendable with Shead coming back and how well Coleman and Griffin are playing.

I understand

I have seen some make the claim that Pete has though, especially given the bickering in the past (Sherman vs Bevell, players speaking their mind, Doug vs Cable, etc.)

Otherwise I agree, I'm particularly not very high on Lane. I was in that year we made the second straight Super Bowl but I feel he's been average since

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
Scorpion05":3mj6w9ur said:
Sgt. Largent":3mj6w9ur said:
Scorpion05":3mj6w9ur said:

I understand

I have seen some make the claim that Pete has though, especially given the bickering in the past (Sherman vs Bevell, players speaking their mind, Doug vs Cable, etc.)

Otherwise I agree, I'm particularly not very high on Lane. I was in that year we made the second straight Super Bowl but I feel he's been average since

I can listen to arguments that Pete doesn't have the iron clad feel good it's us against the world I love you guys rah rah vice grip that he had on this group of players like he did 4-5 years ago. Because the core players are older and have heard it now for their entire careers.

But "lost" the team? Nonsense.

SeaChat

Reaction score
It's exactly what I'd expect to hear from Pete, and I'd be really disappointed if he'd said anything but. I feel for Jeremy and I really appreciate his fire, determination and desire to be an every down player for us, but he understands how it works and that the team needs to put their best players at whatever position they can play, this is the Pros, it is all about winning.

The bottom line for every player out there, however, is to compete, and those that were granted an opportunity to compete for Jeremy's spot on the roster, due to his being out with an injury, more specifically. Shaquill Griffin, showed everyone that he was a better fit for that spot. than Jeremy had been when he was healthy. If he gets himself back at a 100%, he will get his chance in rotation to compete for top dog in that spot, but if he isn't able to play up to the level that Shaquille is, then that's the way the cookie crumbles as the saying goes.

I really appreciate that Seattle is all about Competition, it gives everyone a fair shot at earning their place on the field, it also eliminates the development of slackers, who play their asses off until they get the ink on the dotted line and paycheck, and then kick back and play safe till next time their contract comes up for renewal. I appreciate loyalty as much as the next guy and when you see someone like Thomas Rawls, for example, struggle as much as he has to find his way back to the top, you have to admire him and the franchise for trying to give him every possible opportunity they can to accomplish that. I keep hoping that he will prove to everyone that he is capable of being our "every down Running Back".

You can bet they will do the same with Jeremy, and I hope he proves to everyone that he can still compete for that spot and if he proves he's the better player, win it back. At the moment though, I think that Shaquill Griffin has set a bar that is going to be mighty difficult for anyone to rise above, that is one hungry young man, who came in to the NFL willing to fight his way to the top, and is going to fight twice as hard to stay there now that he has arrived.

Go Seahawks!

chris98251

Reaction score
Lane was playing, he got injured, in came Coleman and Griffin, they have tapes and can see the technique and what they bring, at the time Lane was playing he was better, both have played enough in the system now to the point they exceeded what he was doing, he needs to take his spot back be it practice or opportunities in the game.

raisethe3

Reaction score
I remember when Browner got suspended, then Maxwell took over. But when Browner had the chance to claim back, he didn't complain.

Josea16

Reaction score
chris98251":1yo0ejqy said:
Lane was playing, he got injured, in came Coleman and Griffin, they have tapes and can see the technique and what they bring, at the time Lane was playing he was better, both have played enough in the system now to the point they exceeded what he was doing, he needs to take his spot back be it practice or opportunities in the game.
Please do if he can but reality is next year unless we hit on another elite safety or cornerback it's a choice between who do we extend. Thomas or Sherman and thanks to that dumb Chancellor extension Thomas's floor is 12 million. Quill is staying and the cornerstone of the revisioned LOB. Just like McDowell and Richardson are cornerstones of a entirely rebuilt DL. This that last shot at a ring for a lot of defensive fan favorites because serious change is coming in 2018-19 and some serious money will shift to the offense if anybody sane is in charge still.

scutterhawk

Reaction score
Scorpion05":1sulv65x said:
Sgt. Largent":1sulv65x said:
Scorpion05":1sulv65x said:

I understand

That's exactly right, it was as though Lane thought that he could rest on his laurels, and that the competition would just have to step back to the sidelines once he reentered the arena.What he should be remembering, is how Sherman locked down his job when he was given a chance to prove himself over the guy that he replaced....It's just how Pete's "Always Compete" gig is suppose to function.
Lane is good, he's just not "Lock Down" good.

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
scutterhawk":4xeo9czj said:
That's exactly right, it was as though Lane thought that he could rest on his laurels, and that the competition would just have to step back to the sidelines once he reentered the arena.What he should be remembering, is how Sherman locked down his job when he was given a chance to prove himself over the guy that he replaced....It's just how Pete's "Always Compete" gig is suppose to function.
Lane is good, he's just not "Lock Down" good.

I don't think this is true.

I haven't seen Lane "resting on his laurels," IMO Lane hasn't been right since his horrible SB injury. Just can't get back to full health where he's playing like he was prior to that injury.

But that's the NFL, there's no room for feeling sorry for a player, or being loyal.........which is what it sounds like Lane would like Pete to do, show loyalty. Sorry, that's just not the way Pete rolls. Be available, play your ass off, do your job, or else you'll be replaced.

Lane's been replaced.

RussB

Reaction score
He wont win his job back lol. No offense or anything but Shaq and coleman are better than him. Lane cant cover anything, dude gets torched left and right and misses tackles and gets pushed around in the run game. He lacks speed, has no ball skills. Is always late to break on routes and one step behind. Hes not good enough, he was a liability. Glad hes not playing anymore and he can leave now with his entitled attitude.

hawkfan68

Reaction score
RussB":16tyqx9t said:
He wont win his job back lol. No offense or anything but Shaq and coleman are better than him. Lane cant cover anything, dude gets torched left and right and misses tackles and gets pushed around in the run game. He lacks speed, has no ball skills. Is always late to break on routes and one step behind. Hes not good enough, he was a liability. Glad hes not playing anymore and he can leave now with his entitled attitude.

Yup. I agree. This is exactly what Kelly Jennings was. Unfortunately, Jeremy Lane has turned into Kelly Jennings 2.0.

Seymour

Reaction score
chris98251":1hxl8ptt said:

Which isn't happening BTW.
He needs to just stock up on his weed while he can for when he gets shipped out. :2thumbs: