Assuming Carroll lives on and Hurtt is gone

OP
OP
TheLegendOfBoom

TheLegendOfBoom

Reaction score
I think Pete stays and does his usual inconsequential sacrificial coordinator firing and hiring of another Pete lackey. Maybe even on both sides of the ball, although if I had to bet Waldron is safer than Hurtt.

But again, it doesn't matter cause they're still going to have to run Pete's simple ass predictable schemes.

All we can hope is Jody tells Pete if he stays he has to relinquish some schematic control. But I doubt it.
Who’s the incoming Pete lackey you speak of? Who do you think will be next in line as successor to Hurtt??

Ozzy

Reaction score
If this were really the reason, he wouldn't constantly hire external on offense.
I don't know it could be different. His background is defense and not offense so its possible he is more hands on with those guys and lets the offensive guy do his thing? Not saying that's what's going on but its entirely possible, its comparing apples and oranges to me.

I do think its unlikely an outside coach would want to run this system. I know the Seahawks film guys say we've adapted and changed some things but the basic philosophy has always been intact. It's always been a bend and don't break system with a soft zone type system. It worked wonders with the SB teams because you had talent in all the right places and we saw the result, maybe the best defense of all time. I din't think it's the best approach with their current personnel but that's a conversation for another time.

morgulon1

Reaction score
I have to say this . My gut feeling (Guess) is that no one is going anywhere. Hurtt included. I was listening to Petey on Brock and Salk and that old dude is convinced that Seattle is " so close and things will be different this next season ". Mike Salk threw out that they were young and Petey hopped on that and went with it. They aren't that young.

Diggs , Adams, Reed, Wagner , Love , Edwards , D Jones

I'm really getting to a point where I want the organization to force him out . I know this won't sit well with a few on .NET but it's the way I feel . I don't think they're close to being a mediocre defense. Petey of course threw out the stupid buzzwords like " clean" " fit" "fight" "scrap" and a lot of " uh uh uh uh's for his trusting faithful.

It took me a few years but I've finally gotten to the point of annoyance.

SNDavidson

Reaction score
I agree, my only solace is that it may be at worst one more year, but oh so painful if they do nothing. The roster looks prepared to be given to a new regime and is mainly why I think Pete will be let go, at very least they are drafting better.

Maelstrom787

Reaction score
Wink Martindale is available. That would be a huge upgrade. Doubtful he wants to come here though to be Pete's latest scapegoat.
That'd be a rough hire. We're not built to go heavy man, heavy blitz, and cover-0. Martindale also wears thin everywhere he goes, ends up alienating everyone.

Maelstrom787

Reaction score
Todd Wash is an outside name to watch for DC. DL coach here in 2011-2012. Bradley brought him to Jacksonville. Wash outlasted Bradley in Jacksonville and ended up coordinating their famous Sacksonville D. He's coached the Lions and Panthers DL since - the Panthers DL being under hotshot Ejiro Evero.

OP
OP
TheLegendOfBoom

TheLegendOfBoom

Reaction score
Todd Wash is an outside name to watch for DC. DL coach here in 2011-2012. Bradley brought him to Jacksonville. Wash outlasted Bradley in Jacksonville and ended up coordinating their famous Sacksonville D. He's coached the Lions and Panthers DL since - the Panthers DL being under hotshot Ejiro Evero.
But, is he Pete Carroll, “lackey” qualified???

Titus Pullo

Reaction score
It will be a death sentence to be Pete's DC in his final year as coach.

OP
OP
TheLegendOfBoom

TheLegendOfBoom

Reaction score
Thanks for the insightful question. I have a feeling that you're going to have to research that one yourself to determine the answer.
I’ll be honest with you, Mael, I’m a little down on my spirits right now with the Huskies losing….

Any kind of Seattle football just needs some good news right now….

HawkFreak

Reaction score
Who’s the internal hire at DC???

Check this out, I have this theory:

I think we also have to consider there may be coaches that also don’t want to work alongside Pete Carroll…so no outside star in the making coach will be chosen….

Finding an established coach may undermine Carroll and he feels there can be tension or eventual somewhat of a mutiny so he openly “promotes” within the system a lot (Kris Richard, Gus Bradley, recently Clint Hurtt, Dan Quinn, etc.)

Keeping the power to himself and not going with another potential existing outside the organization coaching star may be something Carroll wants to avoid cause he wants to remain the alpha?? Is it possible???

I think it is real. This is psychology, actually. If there is a stud coach, Carroll, may feel threatened by it so, he chooses to promote within instead??

Is it reasonable or am I terrible dot net poster?!?

Lol.

Let the destruction and setting me on fire begin!!!!!
So the philosophy is "Competition" except when it comes to himself. Got it.
Says a lot about what's behind the curtain.