Carroll: We'd love to have Marshawn Lynch back in 2015.

Popeyejones

Reaction score
Uncle Si":qeynswde said:
do we know that Lynch wants a "big extension"? is that extension monetary or years? is 2 years enough?

Only Lynch and his agent (and maybe the Hawks FO) really KNOW that, but I think it's incredibly safe to infer. He's a top player at his position but is also playing a position that probably takes the most punishment in the NFL, he'll be 30 when his contract is up, and he has chronic pain. Lynch also takes more pounding than most.

As for money or years, it's pure conjecture, but I think the ideal scenario for him that could be possibly feasible (although unlikely) would be a two year, 15 million dollar extension that's mostly guaranteed.

Word is (at least in the East Bay) that he has been smart with his money and doesn't want to play forever or pull a Steven Jackson and check out mentally while still cashing checks.

OP
OP
DavidSeven

DavidSeven

Reaction score
Two things:

1. Marshawn is due $7M in new money next year ($5M base + $2M in per game bonuses). That is a very good sum for a player in his position. Seattle could stay the course and both sides could end up very happy. This is not the same situation as last year. I don't see a pressing need for an extension unless both sides really want it.

2. With Harvin off the books, Seattle has more than enough cap to honor Marshawn's contract, for Russell's extension, and to make a splash in FA. Cap restraints shouldn't be an issue.

We don't know that Marshawn wants an extension. We do know that he contemplated retirement as early as last year. If Marshawn wants to keep playing for Seattle, it sounds like it'll be his body that decides whether he will or he won't.

HawkFan72

Reaction score
DavidSeven":1wn8ud85 said:
Two things:

1. Marshawn is due $7M in new money next year ($5M base + $2M in per game bonuses). That is a very good sum for a player in his position. Seattle could stay the course and both sides could end up very happy. This is not the same situation as last year. I don't see a pressing need for an extension unless both sides really want it.

2. With Harvin off the books, Seattle has more than enough cap to honor Marshawn's contract, for Russell's extension, and to make a splash in FA. Cap restraints shouldn't be an issue.

We don't know that Marshawn wants an extension. We do know that he contemplated retirement as early as last year. If Marshawn wants to keep playing for Seattle, it sounds like it'll be his body that decides whether he will or he won't.

Thank you, finally someone gets it.

The retirement talk was real. People on this board are really underestimating that possibility.

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
HawkFan72":2jyt6e2y said:
The retirement talk was real. People on this board are really underestimating that possibility.

I think most of us knew it was real.

But what's the context of what he's saying? IMO when a player threatens retirement he's saying "If I don't get what I want then it's not worth it to me to continue to play."

And since he came back, it's pretty clear that what Marshawn wanted was more money..........and it'll be the same next year. So for Pete to say he'd love Lynch to come back for 2015 is just dumb, it's not even close to where this conversation needs to be.

MizzouHawkGal

Reaction score
SonicHawk":32k7n5ga said:
We'd love to have Marshawn Lynch have a back in 2015.

Does anyone really think that PC and JS WANT to move on from Lynch? Dude puts 110% effort in between the lines. You can't ask for more.
No but his back may force the issue not even counting the money or probable retirement. They have to be prepared for the possibility of any of those happening.

HawkFan72

Reaction score
Sgt. Largent":1ul0v5au said:
HawkFan72":1ul0v5au said:

But what's the context of what he's saying? IMO when a player threatens retirement he's saying "If I don't get what I want then it's not worth it to me to continue to play."

And since he came back, it's pretty clear that what Marshawn wanted was more money..........and it'll be the same next year. So for Pete to say he'd love Lynch to come back for 2015 is just dumb, it's not even close to where this conversation needs to be.

I'm not talking about the holdout. Lynch was going to retire after the Super Bowl because he didn't want to play anymore. He is tired of the media crap and the toll his body takes. He changed his mind, and decided to play again, but he was very close to retiring. It is very likely those same thoughts will come back after this season, especially if his back is bothering him more.

The retirement talk after the Super Bowl had nothing to do with "If I don't get what I want then it's not worth it to me to continue to play."

Uncle Si

Reaction score
Sgt. Largent":pb3lcegx said:
HawkFan72":pb3lcegx said:

the conversation with Lynch, or with the media?

you're arguing a point that is not sustainable. His conversation with the media is direct to "whats up with Lynch next year"... a story that has gotten far too much traction.

the bottom line will be the conversation that Lynch and Seattle have, and as David7 pointed out, will come to those numbers. I dont think he wanted more money per year, but more years to make more money.

Popeyejones

Reaction score
DavidSeven":1ubm5qcw said:

While "Harvin off the books" is true in the long term, I wouldn't overstate it too much for next year, as he'll still count 7.2 million in dead money.

As it stands the Hawks are projected to be about 24 million under the cap next year, but to that you have to likely factor in:

1) An extension for Wilson

2) An extension for Wagner

3) They're also 11 players short of filling a 53 man roster.

If you're backloading in year one let's say you give 3.5 to Wagner and 8.5 to Wilson, meaning you've got 12 million left and 11 roster spots to fill. Let's put about 5 million to the draft, from which seven at most will make the team, meaning you've got 5.5 million left to fill out four roster spots. From there let's give the vet minimum to three of those guys, while also leaving 2 million in room that teams like to have, meaning your "big splash" FA can get paid 3.5 million in his first year.

Even if you could do that, you really can't, because the real problem with the big FA signing isn't the first year, it's the year after that when Sherm, Bennett and Thomas' backloaded money kick in and Wilson and Wagner start making real coin on their contracts.

Basically, I think the Hawks are way too talented of a team to be big players at the top of the FA market. The cap just won't allow for it. They could do it in trade with Percy because Sherman, Thomas, Wilson, and Wagner weren't getting paid, but those days are likely over. They still might hit on a one year rental type a la Bennett's first season, but I wouldn't get my hopes up about bringing in a hot commodity from the outside anymore.

FWIW: Not catastrophizing or trying to be a downer. I'm a 9ers fan, and they're in the exact same boat.

OP
OP
DavidSeven

DavidSeven

Reaction score
Popeyejones":3l5j3y9y said:
While "Harvin off the books" is true in the long term, I wouldn't overstate it too much for next year, as he'll still count 7.2 million in dead money.

The dead money hit for next year is covered in large part by rollover savings from trading him mid-season this year. He counted $13.4M on the cap to start the season; that was reduced to $6.9M after the trade. Net savings will be rolled over to increase Seattle's salary cap.

I think the other factor you might be missing is the projected increase in NFL cap for 2015.

Anyway, this projection at FieldGulls has them retaining Lynch, extending Wilson, retaining Miller, signing a FA TE, big-time FA DT, extending Wagner, re-signing KJ Wright, and re-signing Cliff Avril (or outside FA DE):

http://www.fieldgulls.com/seahawks-anal ... ree-agency

Uncle Si

Reaction score
DavidSeven":2czdwiyn said:
Popeyejones":2czdwiyn said:

The dead money hit for next year is covered in large part by rollover savings from trading him mid-season this year. He counted $13.4M on the cap to start the season; that was reduced to $6.9M after the trade. Net savings will be rolled over to increase Seattle's salary cap.

I think the other factor you might be missing is the projected increase in NFL cap for 2015.

Anyway, this projection at FieldGulls has them retaining Lynch, extending Wilson, retaining Miller, signing a FA TE, big-time FA DT, extending Wagner, re-signing KJ Wright, and re-signing Cliff Avril (or outside FA DE):

http://www.fieldgulls.com/seahawks-anal ... ree-agency

I am going to go with this...

Jville

Reaction score
All of the noise directed at Marshawn Lynch by outsiders is best ignored. After all, there is certainly more to come. Tabloid style noise is for drama junkies.

With regards to the 49er / Seahawk cap comparison, that is off topic 49er centric noise ... IMO.

jblaze

Reaction score
RiverDog":3m6h0qfx said:
DavidSeven":3m6h0qfx said:
Looks like Pete has finally had enough of the speculation and is getting out in front of the story.

From a one-on-one interview with USA Today:

Moreover, Carroll denied any front-office rift exists with the enigmatic running back that has ignited speculation the Seahawks will move on from the 28-year-old Lynch following this season.

"Somebody just started talking about that — he's under contract next year, we'd love to have him back," Carroll told USA TODAY Sports after Thursday's practice. "There's no hesitation in us saying that and there never has been.

[. . . .]

Carroll said there has been no talk of a pending separation from inside Seahawks headquarters.

"That's not coming from here. That hasn't come from here at all," Carroll said. "It's been coming from somewhere else. We would love to have him come back."

Link: http://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/nf ... /70033372/

What did you expect him to say? That we were planning on trading him to the Raiders? Pete's statement doesn't change a thing IMO. There is nor more and no less of a likelihood of Beast being back with us now as there was before Pete made his comments.

+1

This changes nothing. If anything, this puts it on Lynch. FO wants him back and if it doesn't happen, leaves the door open for it being Lynch's fault if he doesn't come back.

ZagHawk

Reaction score
HawkFan72":kowp0yj0 said:
The biggest threat to Lynch not being back next year is him deciding to retire. He was VERY close to doing that after the Super Bowl and he may decide to do that after this year.

I think he might. Here's my Theory to what he may have been thinking:

1) He's had a good career, got good money, and tired of the Media that comes with playing in the spotlight or just playing in general.
2) He got his SB Ring, that's THE DREAM for I think all NFL players. Outside of greatness, legend status, etc. etc. But something tells me that's not Marshawn's Dream. I'm thinking he was more in tune to getting paid big money, establishing that he's an awesome RB, playing a game he loves, and of course RING BABY.

Offseason: He gets his SB and he's probably ready to retire, BUT you know the bulk of the team is returning. His body still feels like it could take another year, plus it wouldn't be bad to get another year's worth of salary to pad his retirement just a bit more. Okay, lets get a holdout and get my money this year, and try for another ring, we got a good shot.

Current Point: I enter this season for the intention of padding my retirement fund and to try and get another ring. They took away Percy, probably one of our best shots at getting my second ring. I'm unhappy because they took Percy away AND media keeps spinning like the Seahawks were going to cut me, when I was planning to go out on MY TERMS. Either way I'm going to ball out and try and get that second ring. If we get mathematically eliminated from playoffs, screw it, I'm done, regardless this is my last season (with the Hawks)...RW is an Uncle Tom

That's my theory on what may be in Marshawn's head.

ZagHawk

Reaction score
What's funny with all the stuff I wrote about Marshawn above...I also just run into him like 10 minutes ago in Bellevue Square. I left him alone, but he was also making his way towards the middle of the mall, so who knows what happened after. But he was also shopping like 3-4 ladies who looked like they could easily help fend off crazy fans if need be.

RiverDog

Reaction score
volsunghawk":2xrb7mra said:
While I hope Carroll is sincere in this, I get the feeling that his comments were designed more to shut that storyline down to keep it from coming up again and again throughout the rest of the season than to demonstrate a full commitment to Lynch beyond 2014.

Precisely.

All coaches lie. They're worse than lawyers. Even if Pete is sincere at this point in time, his sentiment can change in a heartbeat. Besides, this is going to be Lynch's call, not Pete or JS. If Beast wants to come back, they'll take him back, perhaps even give him a modest raise/extension. There's no way we'll trade him.

JSeahawks

Reaction score
The last time Pete made a statement similar to this Matt Hasselbeck became a Tennessee Titan. (Which broke my heart at the time but eventually lead us to Russell Wilson, so I'm good with it.)

The words at this point are basically meaningless.

drdiags

Reaction score
A closer example of Pete saying something similar is quoted in John Boyle's story, where Pete says something similar about Rice only to cut him a few days later. Pete the coach may want to keep Lynch as long as Lynch is able, Pete/John the FO cap concerned role may not be able to make it happen.

The statement does put a stake in the ground for anyone who wants to continue to question the Seahawks plans for Lynch. Anything they quote now will be in direct conflict with what the HC states as a fact.

http://www.heraldnet.com/article/20...nt-him-around-here-for-as-long-as-he-can-play

And finally, Carroll, like plenty of coaches, has expressed his desire to have a player around the following year, only to have the business side of the game force a different decision in the offseason. Carroll told reporters at the NFL scouting combine that they loved Sidney Rice and Zach Miller and hoped to have them back this season, then hours later Rice was released. Miller would have likely been released too had he not agreed to a restructured deal that decreased his pay significantly. At other times, Carroll also expressed a desire to keep Red Bryant and Chris Clemons around, but they too were salary cap casualties. I don’t point that out to call Carroll a liar; I believe if money were no object, most if not all of the above mentioned players would be here, but the realities of the salary cap means that liking a player now, even one who is under contract through the following season, doesn’t mean that player will for sure be back when those business decisions have to be made.

dunceface

Reaction score
^^^^Awwwww crap that's pretty damning evidence! *Blitzer voice*
we'll miss you Mr. Beast Mode RIP :thirishdrinkers: :thirishdrinkers: :thirishdrinkers:

SomersetHawk

Reaction score
drdiags":1dne26m5 said:
A closer example of Pete saying something similar is quoted in John Boyle's story, where Pete says something similar about Rice only to cut him a few days later. Pete the coach may want to keep Lynch as long as Lynch is able, Pete/John the FO cap concerned role may not be able to make it happen.

The statement does put a stake in the ground for anyone who wants to continue to question the Seahawks plans for Lynch. Anything they quote now will be in direct conflict with what the HC states as a fact.

http://www.heraldnet.com/article/20...nt-him-around-here-for-as-long-as-he-can-play

And finally, Carroll, like plenty of coaches, has expressed his desire to have a player around the following year, only to have the business side of the game force a different decision in the offseason. Carroll told reporters at the NFL scouting combine that they loved Sidney Rice and Zach Miller and hoped to have them back this season, then hours later Rice was released. Miller would have likely been released too had he not agreed to a restructured deal that decreased his pay significantly. At other times, Carroll also expressed a desire to keep Red Bryant and Chris Clemons around, but they too were salary cap casualties. I don’t point that out to call Carroll a liar; I believe if money were no object, most if not all of the above mentioned players would be here, but the realities of the salary cap means that liking a player now, even one who is under contract through the following season, doesn’t mean that player will for sure be back when those business decisions have to be made.

Good post, we shouldn't put too much stock in Carroll's comments. Also, if you're saying a guy is as good as gone or not doing anything to negate that notion, then you're killing any potential trade value.