Carroll: We'd love to have Marshawn Lynch back in 2015.

RiverDog

Reaction score
if you're saying a guy is as good as gone or not doing anything to negate that notion, then you're killing any potential trade value.

Absolutely correct. It's no different than reading a quarterly statement from the CEO of a Fortune 500 company. One of his/her jobs is to 'sell' is company to potential stock purchasers and offer moral support and encouragement to his/her employees. That's why we didn't hear a peep about Percy Harvin's locker room problems, insubordination, et al, until AFTER we traded him.

Scottemojo

Reaction score
drdiags":n93v5xm2 said:
A closer example of Pete saying something similar is quoted in John Boyle's story, where Pete says something similar about Rice only to cut him a few days later. Pete the coach may want to keep Lynch as long as Lynch is able, Pete/John the FO cap concerned role may not be able to make it happen.

The statement does put a stake in the ground for anyone who wants to continue to question the Seahawks plans for Lynch. Anything they quote now will be in direct conflict with what the HC states as a fact.

http://www.heraldnet.com/article/20...nt-him-around-here-for-as-long-as-he-can-play

And finally, Carroll, like plenty of coaches, has expressed his desire to have a player around the following year, only to have the business side of the game force a different decision in the offseason. Carroll told reporters at the NFL scouting combine that they loved Sidney Rice and Zach Miller and hoped to have them back this season, then hours later Rice was released. Miller would have likely been released too had he not agreed to a restructured deal that decreased his pay significantly. At other times, Carroll also expressed a desire to keep Red Bryant and Chris Clemons around, but they too were salary cap casualties. I don’t point that out to call Carroll a liar; I believe if money were no object, most if not all of the above mentioned players would be here, but the realities of the salary cap means that liking a player now, even one who is under contract through the following season, doesn’t mean that player will for sure be back when those business decisions have to be made.
Rice did re-sign, then retired of his own volition. So, Pete did want to keep Rice, and did keep Rice. He did keep Miller with a restructure. The fact was that Rice had 15 catches in his last half season and could rarely practice. His situation is hardly the same as Lynch's.

Any who would excoriate Pete for cutting Lynch would be off base anyway, Lynch is no stranger to holding out for money, he knows it is a business. Not that you were doing that, Doc.

I do think the big difference between Lynch and both Rice or Miller is that they had little guaranteed money left, Lynch has a good chunk left. Which means the savings from cutting him would be relatively modest. And might mean everything, unless of course a trade to Oakland fixed that, which it would.

mikeak

Reaction score
Scottemojo":ex4lhi68 said:
The reality is that this will depend on Lynch. His reluctance to play unless he got a bump this year doesn't have me confident he will just show up in 2015 with no longer term security than being a free agent with a bad back after the season.

The twist on that holdout is that many justified it by - he doesn't want to get cut and lose the money.

Now the tables are turned. There is less incentive for him coming back vs holding out...

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
mikeak":201nkcan said:
Scottemojo":201nkcan said:
There is less incentive for him coming back vs holding out...

I've been saying this all along.

Last year the FO had the leverage because Lynch still had two years on his deal. Next year Marshawn will have the leverage.

- another fantastic year
- arguably the best player on the team
- identity of the team
- cornerstone of what our offense wants to do and be

Telling Marshawn "you better finish out your contract our we'll cut you" is laughable. Cause he'll say fine, then I can go sign with another team and get a monster deal.

brimsalabim

Reaction score
I wonder what Rapport will throw at the wall tomorrow am to mess with us now that Pete has addressed this?

chris98251

Reaction score
Having watched the NFL for a long time Lynch seems to be getting the Riggins, Csonka, Brown as in Jim Brown treatment. He doesn't fit the mold, doesn't like talking to reporters, does things his own way. That means he must be hiding something or be a problem with his team and the media just has to guess right at the right time to be able to come back and say we told everyone he was this way. Florio especially also likes to take shots at him and this team whenever he gets a chance.

Latest posts