Carson reportedly looking good in OTAs

chris98251

Reaction score
Rawls was not a second rate talent, he was recruited highly by Michigan State, transferred to Michigan Central because of a clash of personality with the Coach and had got into some trouble, his first season should have qualified his ability.

The lousy line and no FB use for him to cut off of was his problem, when Reese was lead blocking he had a lot of success.

vin.couve12

Reaction score
chris98251":1hdvtj68 said:
Rawls was not a second rate talent, he was recruited highly by Michigan State, transferred to Michigan Central because of a clash of personality with the Coach and had got into some trouble, his first season should have qualified his ability.

The lousy line and no FB use for him to cut off of was his problem, when Reese was lead blocking he had a lot of success.
Rawls was in serious trouble and had a less than average combine.

http://www.nfl.com/draft/2015/profiles/ ... id=2552648

Rawls is/was a try hard player with no exceptional quality except the try hard part.

EDIT: The try hard always counts a lot more than given credit for, mind you.

Fade

Reaction score
images

Out for blood. Take no prisoners.

ivotuk

Reaction score
vin.couve12":3dp32pia said:
chris98251":3dp32pia said:

Rawls was in serious trouble and had a less than average combine.

http://www.nfl.com/draft/2015/profiles/ ... id=2552648

Rawls is/was a try hard player with no exceptional quality except the try hard part.

EDIT: The try hard always counts a lot more than given credit for, mind you.

I don't see those stats as that bad. Looks like he improved at his pro day, and a 35.5" vertical had nothing to sneeze at.

I think he can be successful if they just give him the reps. It pisses me off every time I think about how they rotated running backs in and out of the game last year. It's very hard in the NFL to run a tandem of backs, but impossible to have success rotating multiple backs in and out of the lineup. How could anyone be so stupid?

ImTheScientist

Reaction score
Carson is decent but many of you give him WAYYYYYYYYYYY too much credit based on 4 regular season games.

ImTheScientist

Reaction score
chris98251":3jv11xj4 said:

I agree with you here. My concern with Carson is the same with Rawls. They haven't shown they can stay healthy. Carson has never carried the load and his running style seems to invite the exact type of injury he sustained last year.

CamanoIslandJQ

Reaction score
chris98251":1lxq8gzl said:
CamanoIslandJQ":1lxq8gzl said:
Yes, that is my opinion and I stand by it.
Opinions are just like assholes, everybody has one!
:smilingalien: :smilingalien:

Well spelling Penny's name correctly would give you more credibility.

Thanks for pointing out my miss-spelling, I really appreciate it. I've been an advocate for Penny since before Christmas and I "assumed" the spelling incorectly was "Penney" & went with it in every post, an embarrassing mind fart. So bottom line, I'm a bad speller, always have been, so what? Y'all know who I'm writing about, regardless of spelling (or gramer) and if you don't, you soon will because in my opinion, Penny is the Seahawks best draft pick in several years.
:smilingalien:

sc85sis

Reaction score
chris98251":1r8xoe69 said:

University of Michigan not Michigan State. Also, it’s Central Michigan University. [emoji6]

I grew up in MI.

SoulfishHawk

Reaction score
So, way too much credit on 4 games isn't ok, but acting like he's a bust after one season is totally legit? Got it

ImTheScientist

Reaction score
SoulfishHawk":3vx1kxtb said:
So, way too much credit on 4 games isn't ok, but acting like he's a bust after one season is totally legit? Got it

Not sure anyone is saying that. I think being realistic about a 7th round pick is best.

JGfromtheNW

Reaction score
ImTheScientist":10g2q1oy said:
chris98251":10g2q1oy said:

I agree with you here. My concern with Carson is the same with Rawls. They haven't shown they can stay healthy. Carson has never carried the load and his running style seems to invite the exact type of injury he sustained last year.

Completely disagree with. His leg got rolled up on by a guy making a tackle on him and swinging around trying to take him down while in traffic. Carson tried to keep his legs moving and the tackler's body weight lands right on his knee/leg, planting his foot into the ground and bending it in horrific fashion.

IMO it's a freak injury that happens in the game of football. I don't blame linemen's technique and footwork when they get rolled up on from behind and blow out their knees.

vin.couve12

Reaction score
Phfsh, I you think Carson is like Rawls then you're nuckin futz. Sorry, I know that's harsh, but wooooow....just wow. They are entirely different athletes, one being head and shoulders above the other with better training habits, diet habits, life habits, better overall 3 facets of the game, smarter, etc. There is no comparison. If you fell for Rawls when our run blocking was at it's absolute best since the Alexander era then that's on you. Go back and watch that stretch in 2015 and look at the holes he's running through. He's got some sweet independent runs here and there, but a lot of it is just running to daylight that's provided for him despite him. It was telling how many people were saying he was better than Lynch.

MontanaHawk05

Reaction score
What boosted Carson in my mind was his pass protection. He was an ace at it, and that's 50% of an automatic ticket to the starter position in the NFL, provided you can actually run, too.

The lack of durability and low production in college are legitimate knocks. But while his four games in the NFL are a low sample size, they're also a significant outperformance of most 7th-round draft picks' expected value, just by themselves.

OP
OP
hawknation2018

hawknation2018

Reaction score
Chris Carson continues to have an impressive OTA, generally appearing to go first in the tailback rotations followed by Rashaad Penny and Mike Davis (with J.D. McKissic and C.J. Prosise getting lots of work in the third-down/two-minute role). Brown said he’s like what he has seen so far from Penny. “Rashaad has looked great so far,” he said. “We don’t have pads on but from what I’ve seen, he has great vision, runs behind his pads well.”

https://www.seattletimes.com/sports/sea ... -on-june-4

RB Rashaad Penny. Maybe the biggest hurdle Penny faces as he tries to pry the starting job from Chris Carson is getting up to speed in pass protection. The Seahawks have made no secret of the fact that Penny has a ways to go in that part of his game, and there's only so much that can be gleaned about his progress right now since contact isn't allowed during OTAs. Training camp will provide a better setting to gauge how ready Penny is to save Russell Wilson from blitzing defenders. For now, he's working behind Carson, who's still the most physically impressive of Seattle's running backs. Status: Too soon to tell. -- Brady Henderson

http://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/2366 ... -practices

vin.couve12

Reaction score
(On if there is anyone who impressed him with how they looked coming back this offseason) “What has really jumped out is Chris Carson. Chris has looked incredible the whole time, the entire offseason. He hasn’t missed one snap of anything. He just looks so fit, he’s just so cut and quick and explosive and all that. He might be the guy, when you look at everybody, who jumps out in that regard.

(On if Carson is back to full steam) “He’s absolutely full steam. He has just had a great offseason. He was really frustrated about not being able to finish us last year, and he put it to work. He did it. I’m excited to see how he goes. He’s going to play really good for us when we get back.”

https://www.seahawksmedia.com/transcrip ... -06-07-18/

OP
OP
hawknation2018

hawknation2018

Reaction score
[youtube]Khx5dPNv_YM[/youtube]

Carson put on 10 lbs of muscle, mostly in lower body, during off-season.

He notes that Brian Schottenheimer has expanded the playbook, giving the RBs routes out of the backfield that they didn't have last season. He says Schottenheimer is a lot more vocal and engaged with his players.

vin.couve12

Reaction score
That would be the second time I've heard where Schotty is more engaged with players, particularly at an individual level.

This sort of pisses me off, in a way. How can you execute with less than satisfactory clarity on what you want from each player as it pertains to execution? When I think about how completely and utterly sloppy the Hawks have been on offense over the last two years, that is a key indicator. The "system" doesn't take care of expectations and responsibilities. You have to engage and teach.

Wagner had something similar to say about Norton.

(On Norton’s intensity) “It’s fun to be around. I definitely missed that. When you have days when it’s raining you got a guy that comes in and brings some light in to the room. It’s always a pleasure to have. You see him out here on the field always yelling and saying something to somebody. He just brings a certain energy, a certain passion to the game. He’s an amazing leader, he brings a lot out of you. I feel like he gets the best out of everybody because he takes time with that connection and gets to know everybody.”

Anyway, the previous coaching staff on the offensive side....well, it's a very good thing that they're gone.

OP
OP
hawknation2018

hawknation2018

Reaction score
[tweet]https://twitter.com/gbellseattle/status/1004951883344109568[/tweet]

Latest posts