Carson reportedly looking good in OTAs

ivotuk

Reaction score
hgwellz12":3b4b7c54 said:
+1 vin.couve12
+2 vin.couve12 He's bucking for poster of the year. :)

Here's a fun video of Chris Carson vs TCU. I can see what Pete liked about him, especially in the very last run. He trucks some dudes. He seems to have a habit of dragging people along.

[youtube]slQZFmDmP3Q[/youtube]

ivotuk

Reaction score
Seeing who is on the OLine, and the blocking, was painful to watch, but CC acquits himself nicely.

[youtube]pHvS2tJcRYY[/youtube]

OP
OP
hawknation2018

hawknation2018

Reaction score
ivotuk":2vug75s1 said:
He won this game for us. Some great runs in there.

[youtube]KVkOwuqBQIQ[/youtube]

That's a real NFL RB.

So what stood out during OTAs, Pete Carroll?

“What has really jumped out is Chris Carson,” Carroll said. “Chris has looked incredible the whole time, the entire offseason. He hasn’t missed one snap of anything. He just looks so fit, he’s just so cut and quick and explosive and all that. He might be the guy, when you look at everybody, who jumps out in that regard.”

https://www.seahawks.com/news/five-thin ... ay-of-otas

vin.couve12

Reaction score
A really understated play in that game was getting down to make sure he stayed in bounds with 4:44 left in the game. The clock kept rolling and then dude just churned out first downs to run it out.

The covering the football with both arms/hands when he feels contact is also impressive, if not understated as well.

hawk45

Reaction score
I was totally fine with the Penny drafting since the grab-bag approach hadn't been working the last two seasons and the injury history at the position suggested stocking up, but I would say I'm just-as or more excited for Carson to carry the ball next year as I am for Penny. I like everything about Carson and felt his one-cut style actually got something out of the OL last year. I especially want him carrying the ball when we employ zone concepts. And on third down he doesn't tip your hand run or pass.

Carson is the starter if it were up to me. Love to see Penny come in, be shifty in the wash, and hit home runs which is how I see his running style (similar to Prosise), but having both is a recipe for avoiding another lost season at RB.

vin.couve12

Reaction score
hawk45":21kmaz36 said:
I was totally fine with the Penny drafting since the grab-bag approach hadn't been working the last two seasons and the injury history at the position suggested stocking up, but I would say I'm just-as or more excited for Carson to carry the ball next year as I am for Penny. I like everything about Carson and felt his one-cut style actually got something out of the OL last year. I especially want him carrying the ball when we employ zone concepts. And on third down he doesn't tip your hand run or pass.

Carson is the starter if it were up to me. Love to see Penny come in, be shifty in the wash, and hit home runs which is how I see his running style (similar to Prosise), but having both is a recipe for avoiding another lost season at RB.
Exactly. Carson, Penny, and Procise are all high end talent. Sure, maybe we don't expect much from Procise because of the last two seasons, but we should have some redundancy none the less.

To another point, when tackling Carson, a defender needs to be front loaded to take on that collision. However, when approaching a player like Penny, his speed and ability to change angles on a defender tend to make defenders more flat footed, but isn't a small back by any means.

AKA body blow, body blow, KO. Not necessarily in that order either. And if Procise stays healthy...maybe throw in some jet sweeps to keep it interesting.

OP
OP
hawknation2018

hawknation2018

Reaction score
“I still have the same mindset,” Carson said Thursday. “My mindset is steady hustling. I always want to come out and prove somebody wrong, because me being a seventh-round pick a lot of people passed up, it’s like you want to come out and prove a lot of people wrong. So my mindset is still the same — try to prove myself each and every day. You never want to be comfortable. They are always trying to find someone to replace you, each and every year.”

https://www.seattletimes.com/sports/sea ... lback-job/

OP
OP
hawknation2018

hawknation2018

Reaction score
[tweet]https://twitter.com/PFF_Seahawks/status/1014598665267077120[/tweet]

CamanoIslandJQ

Reaction score
As fans, we all want the running game to work for many reasons. The Seahawks just spent the majority of their draft picks to primarily upgrade the running game. Personally, I'd hope that every RB that hits the field for the Seahawks this year has success as I'm sure most here would. Carson has great "potential" that may or may not be shown this season. The same could be said of Penny. Having two RB's with great potential is certainly better than one.

The reason I'm so high on Penny, is his outstanding performances in college. Penny was the best RB in the Country, not just at SDST, but he also had the best performances of all RB's in his bowl game and in the Senior Bowl. That is statistical history that Carson and many other RB's don't have on their records. Carson is possibly a late bloomer and will show that he can carry the ball as well (or nearly as well) as Penny, wouldn't that really be something neat? I think we will all see what is up soon with perhaps some "re-adjusted" opinions after the preseason games start, ----> based on actual performances on the field.

:smilingalien:

CamanoIslandJQ

Reaction score
Anyone want to guess the RB stats for Penny & Carson in their first preseason game? Might be an interesting reveal.

:smilingalien:

sc85sis

Reaction score
Preseason can’t get here soon enough. We are going to need the run game and offense as a whole to step up this year to mitigate the personnel losses on defense and give the young defensive guys time to learn and improve.

Still lots of potential with this team. It’s going to be interesting.

chris98251

Reaction score
I don't expect pre season to tell us a whole lot as we will see a lot of work on the basics for the O line to see what Solari was able to drill into guys and then improvements against competition, also our starting RB's usually get a quarter at most, Davis and McKissic may get a lot more reps, I would almost be scared to put Prosise out there.

hawkfan68

Reaction score
I’d be disappointed in Carson if he was behind Penny at this point. Penny is learning the system. Carson has experience from last season. According to previous reports 70% of the plays are remaining the same from last season.

Jimjones0384

Reaction score
ImTheScientist":36o2399o said:
Carson is decent but many of you give him WAYYYYYYYYYYY too much credit based on 4 regular season games.

That many y's, huh? How so?

Seafan

Reaction score
Jimjones0384":1u6ajd9i said:
ImTheScientist":1u6ajd9i said:
Carson is decent but many of you give him WAYYYYYYYYYYY too much credit based on 4 regular season games.

That many y's, huh? How so?

It wasn't just 4 reg games. It was also OTAs, preseason and out classing the entire field which included Alex Collins, Lacy, Rawls, Prosise, Davis, McKissic. Carson and Penney have many of the same qualities but Carson already has a leg up in NFL protections. Plus, he's actually played in NFL games behind a horrible OL. Since he's already done it and has come back looking even better it's not much of a stretch to think he will be successful this season.

jammerhawk

Reaction score
Aros":2ylyr8xk said:
Just. Stay. Healthy.

My God the amount of injuries to our RB's in recent years is truly unbelievable.

Now the team has a normal OLine coach and the OC is calling the blocking schemes the team might just have a shot at keeping their RBs healthy. With Cable as OLine coach and Running Game Coordinator our RBs were required to do an awful lot of unblocked running and that is recipe for injuries. Injuries happen, it is a contact sport, but over the past 3 seasons the team suffered an unusually high number of injuries to the RBs, some even had very similar injuries. Others have described here the reasons for the injuries and they make sense. Interestingly when Solari was here previously the RBs stayed somewhat healthy. Run blocking that is within reason effective that the team can actually do w/o penalties and falling down allows the back to be able to find a running lane.

Having a running game allows the team to use play action, and thus improves RW's ability to move the ball downfield. Having the O score or stay on the field longer helps the D over the course of the season but especially in close games.

it will be interesting to see if our RBs can stay healthy this season but with the Line actually blocking for them I'd be a believer things will be improved health wise.