Pick #81 - G Christian Haynes

Sprfunk

Reaction score
They spent capital on the oline. Carpenter, Moffitt, Justin Britt(round 2) Okung ( to a slightly lessor degree) all failed.
The one I remeber who eventually did well was max Unger. Of course they traded him.

I've said it before. PC/JS failed the trenches.

bileever

Reaction score
They spent capital on the oline. Carpenter, Moffitt, Justin Britt(round 2) Okung ( to a slightly lessor degree) all failed.
The one I remeber who eventually did well was max Unger. Of course they traded him.

I was just typing the same thing when you posted this. Yes, PC/JS spent plenty of draft capital on the offensive line. In addition to the names you mentioned, there was also Germain Ifedi (1st round), Rees Odhiambo (2nd), Ethan Pocic (2nd), and of course Charles Cross (1st) and Abe Lucas (3).

So there was a lot of failure, but some success as well.

Shane Falco

Reaction score
Under JS, the Hawks have only drafted one interior olineman before the 3rd round and that was Ethan Pocic in 2017.

Justin Britt ended up at center but he was drafted as an OT, couldn't cut and moved to OG, then to center. Ifedi was also drafted to play RT but moved to OG at some points cause he wasn't cutting it.

They've always seemed to value LT like most teams do and even RT somewhat but interior... they pretty much thought they could plug anybody in there and still win.

Hopefully those days are over.

bileever

Reaction score
For a long time, there was an ample supply of offensive linemen coming out of college, and that's why teams thought they could just plug and play. Things changed in the mid-2010s. It's unclear why it happened, but the supply of NFL-ready O-linemen dried up, possibly due to athletic big men choosing to play on the D-line instead or other sports or the change in the college game.

Judy Battista's long article, "Where have all the offensive linemen gone," explores some of these issues. She explains how even evaluating college linemen became difficult, and how top prospects get to the NFL with only high school level skills because they aren't being taught in college.

Link:

Scout

Reaction score
Many OL since 2010 are not learning pro sets which is why they are not ready for the pro game. Thanks for the link to the article because that explains a lot.

But this also show why drafting Haynes was a home run because he is a natural OG 100%.

Grahamhawker

Reaction score

I always thought it strange how/why the Hawks went from #1 in OL cap% in 2013 to #32 by 2016. Looks like averaging around #20 or so since then, while being back to #32 for this year.

https://www.spotrac.com/nfl/position/offensive-line/_/year/2016/table/active/sort/cap_total

Last edited:

BASF

Reaction score

Maelstrom787

Reaction score
I always thought it strange how/why the Hawks went from #1 in OL cap% in 2013 to #32 by 2016. Looks like averaging around #20 or so since then, while being back to #32 for this year.

https://www.spotrac.com/nfl/position/offensive-line/_/year/2016/table/active/sort/cap_total
It wasn't really about their prioritization of the position. Russell Okung was drafted before the rookie wage scale went into effect in 2011, meaning his contract was absolutely massive as the 6th overall pick. Russell's contract expired and he signed with Denver for 2016.

Now, with the rookie wage scale being as it is, drafted lines are gonna be worth almost nothing cap-wise compared to bought lines.

cymatica

Reaction score
Hard to justify paying for an oline when your qb plays ballerina in the backfield even when there isn't a ton of pressure.
That and the emphasis on the scramble offense in practice

Jville

Reaction score
For a long time, there was an ample supply of offensive linemen coming out of college, and that's why teams thought they could just plug and play. Things changed in the mid-2010s. It's unclear why it happened, but the supply of NFL-ready O-linemen dried up, possibly due to athletic big men choosing to play on the D-line instead or other sports or the change in the college game.

Judy Battista's long article, "Where have all the offensive linemen gone," explores some of these issues. She explains how even evaluating college linemen became difficult, and how top prospects get to the NFL with only high school level skills because they aren't being taught in college.

Link:

Terrific 2016 Article which is every bit as relevant today in 2024. Thanks for your post.

I remember the successful defensive tackle to offensive guard conversion of JR Sweezy in the 2012 - 2013 time frame. Tom Cable was very forthcoming about the talent shortfall that NFL teams were experiencing. A lot of slurs were thrown Sweezy's way along with his offensive line coach Tom Cable. Criticism of Tom Cable, especially among draft nicks, spread like a virus in popularity. Critics were ignorant of the talent shortfall at the time. Even today, uninformed critics persist in spite of good coverage and explanations on the very limited supply of trained offensive line talent coming out of college.

Thanks again for posting. I wish more would read Judy Battista's article so as to better appreciate the difficult job of building an NFL offensive line. Linked for a second time below .....

👉 https://www.nfl.com/news/sidelines/where-have-all-the-offensive-linemen-gone

....................................................................................Edit .......................................................................................

P.S. Twenty-four year old Christian Haynes is a four year college starter making the transition to the NFL. He likely will make the scouts and coaches look good being as he is among the last of the Covid extended 5-6 year college players. The skill shortfall should return again beginning in 2025. With the full affect returning in 2026.

Last edited:

LeveeBreak

Reaction score
Based on tape I've seen and feedback from respected resources, I don't think we could have made better selections with our 1st and 3rd round pics. Excited to see what they can do!

But I swear the dude found one of my mom's drapes from 1974 at a Goodwill that had sat there for 40 years and made a jumper out of it. Totally serious...that outfit used to cover our front windows.

Last edited:

SoulfishHawk

Reaction score
It does look like a bedspread though :ROFLMAO:

As far as DK goes, I think it's hilarious that anyone cares about the pacifier. Someone is having fun, meh.

ivotuk

Reaction score
It does look like a bedspread though :ROFLMAO:

As far as DK goes, I think it's hilarious that anyone cares about the pacifier. Someone is having fun, meh.
We all LOVE the Pacifier!

Maybe our new OG can afford some newer linens or bedding to make his clothes out of now. Probably has a new 10k sewing machine in his living quarters now, waiting to sew up a storm!

*I expect to see him and Macklemore in the "Thrift Shop," looking for "Your Grandpa's Clothes, makes me look incredible!*

Last edited:

Glasgow Seahawk

Reaction score
We really need this pick to hit for this to be a good draft (Murphy obviously too). If he does its huge for the future

toffee

Reaction score
Luckily we have moved on from Pete to Macdonald, who is a wall builder. Without Macdonald, an OL of Cross - Laken Tomlinson - Olu - Haynes - Lucas/Fant would have been an area of concern.