Cassius Marsh re-signed

Popeyejones

Reaction score
When he was on the 9ers the lat two years watching him get sacks was always bittersweet.

I was grateful for the sack, but as soon as it happened I was on to "ah crap, now I have to watch his embarrassing Napoleon Dynamite karate kicks for the next 30 seconds."

Not the type of ayer you want starting, but definitely a solid depth piece. I was surprised the 9ers cut him.

Thepeelsessions

Reaction score
I always liked Marsh. Glad he's back. I always thought he'd make a good OLB. He's an exceptional open field tackler, and his speed to the edge is a bonus.

Tical21

Reaction score
There is no rookie coming out this season that I would not rather have.

Popeyejones

Reaction score
Thepeelsessions":3hlzcjpa said:
I always liked Marsh. Glad he's back. I always thought he'd make a good OLB. He's an exceptional open field tackler, and his speed to the edge is a bonus.

Kinda disagree about his skill set.

The bigger problem with him though is that he's an idiot.

The Pats tried to use him in the way you're talking about and he went to the media to say he hated being on the Patriots because they tried to get him to be a multi-tool player rather than just a pure pass rusher.

The guy basically whined his way off of a dynasty because he didn't like having to set the edge and drop in coverage sometimes.

The 9ers let him just do the one thing he likes to do, and well, he's not that good at it. To be totally honest, if he hadn't previously complained about being asked to be a more well-rounded player and incorporate the other things that a SAM would do, I think he'd still be on the 9ers.

OP
OP
MontanaHawk05

MontanaHawk05

Reaction score
Tical21":1fiegwpo said:

Somehow, this doesn't surprise me.

Marsh was a penalty machine, tho. It's the one thing that I don't want even if it is for the veteran minimum.

Tical21

Reaction score
MontanaHawk05":118yij5u said:
Tical21":118yij5u said:

Somehow, this doesn't surprise me.

Marsh was a penalty machine, tho. It's the one thing that I don't want even if it is for the veteran minimum.
Yeah, I'm just afraid he'll cost you a game. I also don't think he has any pass rush talent. Good effort, but I'd rather a UDFA where we don't know yet that he doesn't have any upside.

jammerhawk

Reaction score
It will be interesting to see what the contractual arrangements were but I would not be surprised if he wasn't close to a league min. signing.

Disagree with the negativity about this signing, besides he won't cost much if he needs to be cut.

Popeyejones

Reaction score
jammerhawk":sepkvf9t said:
Disagree with the negativity about this signing, besides he won't cost much if he needs to be cut.

Heartily agree.

Trashing depth signings for not having upside kinda misses the point of depth signings, IMO.

The point of having someone like Marsh on the roster is so you can rotate someone in (or god forbid, have someone play start in case of injury) who isn't a total liability.

All those guys with upside might have upside, but they might be total liabilities on the field too.

Shaquem Griffin is the classic example of that. Going into the year he had as much upside as anybody, but it turns out that putting him on the field created such a liability the defense just couldn't run with him out there.

Having both the Marsh's of the world and the Griffin's of the world is really the way to fill out from 22 to 56 IMO

WestcoastSteve

Reaction score
Thepeelsessions":2jht3o9l said:

Meh, he's a guy who plays with a lot of heart and emotion but not so much with his head.

I remember when Clemens and Irvin moved on we tried to use him as a pass rusher and he was as likely to get a stupid roughing the passer as an impact sack.

WestcoastSteve

Reaction score
jammerhawk":dxiazo30 said:
It will be interesting to see what the contractual arrangements were but I would not be surprised if he wasn't close to a league min. signing.

Wouldn't surprise me if he is an Antoine Winfield type signing that doesn't even make the team.

King Dog

Reaction score
WestcoastSteve":2dz0v6sz said:
jammerhawk":2dz0v6sz said:

Wouldn't surprise me if he is an Antoine Winfield type signing that doesn't even make the team.

I don't know, I think he makes the roster. We brought in Winfield when he was like 35. Marsh should be in his prime at 26 years old.

stack55

Reaction score
Hey hawk fans. Our special teams defense hasn’t been that good
Since Cassius left. You gotta remember some of the highlights from
When he was on special teams. I think he’s a animal on ST..