CB Griffen: Hawks took Giants for Granted

PNW

Reaction score
I was thinking the same thing when I saw that quote, shameful just shameful.....

seahawksteve

Reaction score
If that was really the case, what a terrible coaching decision, but shame on Griffen to discuss that in media interview. Isn't protecting the team one of PC team priorities?

hawkfan68

Reaction score
I think we all saw that on Sunday. Griffen didn't say anything different that those who watched the game already knew. It was blatantly obvious from the top down that the Seahawks were overconfident and thought they could walk with an easy "W". I think playing the Eagles the Monday night that week caused that line of thinking....hopefully lesson learned and it doesn't happen again.

Subzero717

Reaction score
It happens all the time. These are paid profesionals. It looks worse on the players.

It is a very strange thing to put out in public though. Horrible optics. Especially when your position group played fairly well. They barely gave up 100 yards passing so you are basically throwing the rest of the team under the bus.

AROS

Administrator
Administrator
Reaction score
Oh sure, nobody believes it when I say it. :roll:

:lol: :p :twisted: 8)

getnasty

Reaction score
Guess what Pittsburgh overlooked Washington so on and so forth. Maybe Shaq shouldn't have said anything but it happens all the time.

AROS

Administrator
Administrator
Reaction score
Indeed it really does happen all the time. Human nature prevails in all things including sports. This is nothing new, it happens to every team in the NFL. Sometimes the better team wins of course, but no team is immune from having these types of games that can be reflected back upon as games where the "better" team didn't feel the need to get up for their opponent like they might against a more quality opponent. Maybe they think if they just go through the motions that should be enough to take care of the lesser team.

I don't think this is ever on any conscious level per se. It's just a collective feel the team acquires, perhaps even without realizing it the week leading up to the game. It's happened far too often over the decades to be an anomaly. It's dang near a weekly occurrence.

You have a 4-7 team coming into your house. You are 8-3. You've heard the narrative about the "NFL Least" for the better part of the season thus far. You have a perennial backup QB coming in that has never scared a single Soul in the NFL...It's human nature to assume just by showing up and going through the motions a victory is almost certainly assured.

Then the game starts. The other team is playing for their very playoff lives. You are shocked, trying to steady yourselves, match their intensity and before you can even get the license plate of the Underestimated Truck that just ran over you it's too late.

Hell yes they underestimated the Giants. It was obvious virtually from the start. And the sad news? It's gonna happen again. And again. And again. It's not a Seahawks thing, it's a human thing and it happens All. Of. The. Time.

sutz

Reaction score
Seems like every so often they need a wake up call. Hopefully this was it and they play to their abilities going forward.

AROS

Administrator
Administrator
Reaction score
sutz":1566y6al said:
Seems like every so often they need a wake up call. Hopefully this was it and they play to their abilities going forward.

That is the hope. The myopic part to me that drives me nuts is how does the team not focus away from the tendency to underestimate their opponent and look at the very pragmatic element of, um, we need to keep winning to stay on top of the division with the surging, hot Rams on our tails?

Okay I get it. It's the Giants. Hard to get up for them like for all the reasons I explained. But what about focusing on standings? Seeding? That is the area that baffles me most. If you can't get up naturally for the 4-7 Giants, how about getting up for the fact that if you beat them as you should, you are automatically in first place in the division, the 2 seed for at least another week?

Now you have the Rams that are almost certain to beat the Patriots tonight, so they will be 9-4, and no matter what we do this Sunday we will still be in second place in the division and still in a wildcard spot. THAT bugs me the most.

Bobblehead

Reaction score
sutz":2augn734 said:

Well we've had about several wake up calls this year so far, the truth of the matter is that if your are any sort of a championship team I would think that you beat the teams your suppose to. We should be 11-1 easily, but, no.. the wake up calls. Pitts loss to Washington? Washington is a very dangerous team with their defense, which is no joke and especially now that they have a QB. They will surprise a lot of teams coming up. I don't see us beating them. We just seem to pull that .. "wake up" card way to often to have any meaning. IMHO.

Jerhawk

Reaction score
Well, there it is. The nail in the coffin for not only this season, but the Pete Carroll era.

The players aren't buying in. His cliche lines of "1-0" and "championship opportunity" that Russell regurgitates is all BS. This is the proof we need.
Also, Shaq can kiss any opportunity he had of being resigned here goodbye. Take your brother with you. Both are mediocre. Only difference is one of them isn't a lazy loaf with wasted talent.

The players aren't buying in. Time for a change in leadership.

chris98251

Reaction score
Remember Buster Douglas? Some guy fighting him didn't think twice about it and look what happened, Then there is Sonny Liston who had the same problem. Oh and those Baltimore Colts who played the Jets, No AFC team could compete with a NFC team ever.

W

Welshers

Jerhawk":2z2y3tjk said:
Well, there it is. The nail in the coffin for not only this season, but the Pete Carroll era.

The players aren't buying in. His cliche lines of "1-0" and "championship opportunity" that Russell regurgitates is all BS. This is the proof we need.
Also, Shaq can kiss any opportunity he had of being resigned here goodbye. Take your brother with you. Both are mediocre. Only difference is one of them isn't a lazy loaf with wasted talent.

The players aren't buying in. Time for a change in leadership.
I cant tell if your serious

seabowl

Reaction score
The nail on the coffin is probably on Shaq Griffens time with the Hawks. Pete and John will not stand for airing this out in the media.

Sherm on line 1.

Seahawkfan80

Reaction score
seabowl":2k7inu5k said:
The nail on the coffin is probably on Shaq Griffens time with the Hawks. Pete and John will not stand for airing this out in the media.

Sherm on line 1.

Clean up on Aisle 2....

Ramfan128

Reaction score
This would be....odd.

The Giants came into LA and were never down by two scores. They held our offense down in a way Seattle hasn't in years.

I get they had a backup QB in, but assuming they watch film of the Giants in multiple games, they'd have to have seen how well they played the Rams and I would have used that as motivation if nothing else.

Uncle Si

Reaction score
Ramfan128":fsd2uzm9 said:
This would be....odd.

The Giants came into LA and were never down by two scores. They held our offense down in a way Seattle hasn't in years.

I get they had a backup QB in, but assuming they watch film of the Giants in multiple games, they'd have to have seen how well they played the Rams and I would have used that as motivation if nothing else.

It would be odd for any sporting team to be unprepared for a game. They make millions to operate on fine margins. The only thing I can make of comments like Griffens is the emotional side. Perhaps they were taken by surprise how hard the Giants played the game.

Who knows, but it's not uncommon in sports, as much as it should be.

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
seabowl":w3z2apz2 said:

Sherm on line 1.

Wat.

Bringing back a 32 year old malcontent who almost single handedly imploded your entire locker room who's best years are 3-4 years behind him to not keep one of your hardest working and loyal players in his prime would be one of the worst off season moves Pete and John ever made.

I like hearing what Griffen said, it's way better than the usual Russell or Pete everything's amazing we're amazing never admit the truth to the media nonsense ever.

Shanegotyou11

Reaction score
Sgt. Largent":2codhamo said:
seabowl":2codhamo said:

Sherm on line 1.

Wat.

Bringing back a 32 year old malcontent who almost single handedly imploded your entire locker room who's best years are 3-4 years behind him to not keep one of your hardest working and loyal players in his prime would be one of the worst off season moves Pete and John ever made.

I like hearing what Griffen said, it's way better than the usual Russell or Pete everything's amazing we're amazing never admit the truth to the media nonsense ever.

I agree and disagree. It was nice to see griffen be honest but he also has shown lack of work ethic before as well. Remember the reason he was terrible is because he gained 20lbs?

And sherman was best CB in 2019.

Latest posts