CB Sam Shields re-signs with GB (ugh...)

dontbelikethat

Reaction score
The Green Bay Packers have re-signed cornerback Sam Shields to a four-year, $39 million deal that includes a signing bonus of $12.5 million, sources told ESPN NFL Insider Adam Schefter.

:shock:

4 years, 39m.... :shock:

If this is indicative to how the others corners are goona sign, I expect Talib to get 10-12+ and Sherm is goona get that Revis money with a signing bonus next year.

Hasselbeck

Reaction score
Be more concerned with the guaranteed money.. though Shields deal was also front-loaded (probably because they have a lot of cap ready right now)

They can likely backload Sherm's deal to alleviate the cap figure until 2016 or so .. when it goes way up and we have deals off the books.. and give him probably about 20M guaranteed

I'd guess something along the lines of 5/75 with 20M guaranteed

chris98251

Reaction score
Deal details are the important part, 39 may be the high end if a bunch of incentives and stuff are reached. The flat numbers rarely equate to the actual pay out amounts.

RolandDeschain

Reaction score
Son of a *****!

That's a lot of money for someone of Shields' caliber. He's good, not great, IMO. Lawd a'mighty, we're going to have to pay through the nose for Sherman and Earl. I almost hope we don't re-sign Bennett but lock either Earl or Sherman down this off-season, after seeing this.

What the hell are you doing, Green Bay? :|

amill87

Reaction score
What's even worse is now Kaepernick can continue making Shields (and the rest of the GB defense) his bitch.

The niners pretty much already have a first round bye because they will likely be playing gb in the wildcard again.

HAWKAMANIA

Reaction score
First Boldin, then Kaepernick wanting 20 mill, and now Shields' contract...anybody else get the feeling that the rest of the NFC contenders are trying to screw with the 'Hawks?

MizzouHawkGal

Reaction score
dontbelikethat":opecbn15 said:
The Green Bay Packers have re-signed cornerback Sam Shields to a four-year, $39 million deal that includes a signing bonus of $12.5 million, sources told ESPN NFL Insider Adam Schefter.

:shock:

4 years, 39m.... :shock:

If this is indicative to how the others corners are goona sign, I expect Talib to get 10-12+ and Sherm is goona get that Revis money with a signing bonus next year.
Sweet Baby Jesus. :pukeface:

Even so the per year is only 6.5 at best. I still say 10-12 million/20 guaranteed does it.

EverydayImRusselin

Reaction score
I'm starting to think we let Sherman walk. We'll see how it goes during FA because there are some top 5 CB about to get paid. I believe Peterson has also implied he wants a deal done before the season starts. If we see someone break the bank for a Talib for $13m/yr, I just don't see how we can keep Sherman.

Subzero717

Reaction score
Scottemojo":orpbqbmu said:
I am more keyed on Verner to gauge the CB market.

Thats scary looking at Shield contract. That said as far as Verner goes, he had one very productibe year lining up across from a very good CB like Maxwell. Im not saying McCourty is Sherm. Verner ended uo with one pick more than Maxwell. He does have more passes defended but Maxwell didnt start the entire year. I guess what Im saying while I think you are right, but one year of production is a lot to shell out for.

Coug_Hawk08

Reaction score
This is out of left field. He was good, but not that good. Cost of average players going wayyyy up?

HawkMeat

Reaction score
Wow. Players are getting paid this year. The cap increase sure helped these vets. Another guy paid more than he would have commanded last year. Curious how the contract is structured, but even so.

RolandDeschain

Reaction score
It would seem that a lot of NFL teams are treating the salary cap increase like the state of Washington treated its extra $1,000,000,000 in the state budget when Queen Christine first took office.

I'm starting to think we should just let Bennett walk, and lock down both Sherman and Earl this off-season; or lock down one of them but front load the hell out of it to ease signing the other next year.

Diezel Dawg

Reaction score
RolandDeschain":19otzcvo said:
I'm starting to think we should just let Bennett walk, and lock down both Sherman and Earl this off-season; or lock down one of them but front load the hell out of it to ease signing the other next year.
I agree with this. We can always bring in guys on the Dline to do what they did this year. But locking down the defensive backfield is necessary

Scottemojo

Reaction score
Diezel Dawg":11bcbqhg said:
RolandDeschain":11bcbqhg said:
I agree with this. We can always bring in guys on the Dline to do what they did this year. But locking down the defensive backfield is necessary
In triplicate. Me too.

ivotuk

Reaction score
Meh, who knows what sam will really get . Maybe 8 per year over three years, it's certainly less than ten.

Talibs market has fallen off since that injury, but someone will still over pay him, probably 11.5 - 12.8 per year, which imaho is too much.

I could see Sherman signing for 13 million per year for 5 years and ET pretty similar, 11 million per year for 4 years.

I find it hard to believe anyone would pay 'Revis' type of money which was done by a foolish FO. Even so, none of that money was guaranteed. All it takes is an injury and a team is "hamstrung" with their salary cap.

The goal is multiple Championships and the only person i want John and Pete to break the bank for is Russell Wilson, because outside of the QB, no single player is that important to a team.

kearly

Reaction score
With the rolling cap there is no need to front load deals anymore because the unspent money just rolls ahead regardless. For example, if a guy gets paid $5 million instead of $10 million in year one, but the reverse is true in year two, the $5 million savings from year one will roll over to the next cap to pay for the expensive 2nd year. In the end, it all works out the same, so it incentivizes teams to use back-loaded deals even more as the savings in the early years can be rolled ahead to handle the expensive years should they be in a situation where a player is too valuable to cut for cap reasons. In other words, it gives teams more flexibility, and if they are cut-throat, it saves them money too.

Similarly, the advantage of signing a guy to an extension a year early to lower the hit in future years is similarly of little meaning- that is unless your team is flirting with the 90% cap number that would mean a loss of rollover cash.

The real advantage of signing a year early is because of inflation. NFL inflation far outpaces the national average by a ton- player pricing goes up by something like 10% a year on average (The NFL salary cap today is nearly four times larger than the original one set twenty years ago). You sign Earl and Sherman now, and you might save 10% compared to getting them next year. And if they hit UFA, their prices would rise even more. Thankfully, there are always tools at JS's disposal for making those contracts fit into the 2014 budget, even if money is tight. I fully expect both to be extended. Short term money concerns aren't really an excuse.

Regarding Bennett, only twice have PC/JS been outbid for a player they wanted back: Hasselbeck and Carlson. Both were grossly overpaid and were at the time mediocre NFL players. Seattle stretched beyond their comfort zone to retain Red. They will do the same here for Bennett. Maybe Bennett does leave but I expect Seattle to be very competitive, and I personally think trying to replace his production, versatility and chemistry with a low cost alternative is a foolish gamble (I think Pete sees it that way too).

Budgeting him is tough, but I personally do not view Bennett and the LOB as a zero sum game. If that means letting some lesser players go at other positions the next couple years (Tate, Baldwin, Wright, etc) so be it. If it really was a choice between LOB and Bennett I'd choose LOB, but I don't think that should diminish how big of a negative impact losing Bennett will have.

kearly

Reaction score
Scottemojo":1cou42w1 said:
I am more keyed on Verner to gauge the CB market.

I'm not denying that "setting the market" is a real phenomenon, but I think it's equal parts truth and mirage. For example, last year Mike Wallace signed for 5/60. A while later, Wes Welker only got 2/12. A few days later, Danny Amendola got 5/31. Every player has a unique market and sometimes teams will overpay to get a guy they feel they must have, while playing hardball with others, sometimes even with superior talents. Right now in baseball there are several upper tier free agents that are still available well into spring training because their markets were not impacted at all by the blockbuster signings that preceded them.

I think with Sherman, he knows what he's worth and it's unlikely that needle will budge much if at all when Verner signs a 5/55 type contract. I think the real player to watch is Byrd, a UFA whom many consider to be on Earl's level. Whatever Byrd gets paid, I think Seattle will probably have to match that for Earl. And Byrd will probably get paid a ton.