CB Sam Shields re-signs with GB (ugh...)

Jville

Reaction score
If you know the Jets, Jaguars, Raiders, and Colts are in the market for a cornerback it makes more sense to overpay Sam Shields in the short term to make sure you keep him on your team on a contract structure you like than get caught in a bidding war where his money doesn’t fit into your system.
[urltargetblank]http://overthecap.com/look-cash-spending-nfl-impact-free-agency/[/urltargetblank]

Shields will receive a $12.5 million signing bonus, and his 2014 compensation is $15 million. By the second season, Shields is slated to have made $21 million, and the deal is worth $30 million through 2016.
[urltargetblank]http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2014/03/08/sam-shields-packers-agree-on-four-year-39-million-deal/[/urltargetblank]

Jville

Reaction score
Under contract details >>>>>
3/8/2014: Signed a four-year, $39 million contract. The deal included a $12.5 million signing bonus. 2014: $2.5 million, 2015: $3.1 million, 2016: $2.5 million, 2017: $3.1 million, 2018: Free Agent

$12.5 million signing bonus + yearly bases of + $2.5 mil + $3.1 mil + $2.5 mil + $2.5 mil = $23.7 million in specified dollars.

In the above accounting, there are unspecified dollars of $39 million - $23.7 million = $15.3 million.

If the unspecified dollars consist of things like work out and roster bonuses, then it is essentially a two year deal in which the Packers have the option of bailing after a couple of years if the performance isn't there. $21 million over two years is, never-the-less a good size bet. Perhaps we will get more details in the coming days.

OP
OP
D

dontbelikethat

Reaction score
I think a nice way of looking at it is, 12.5 signing bonus + the first 2 years of base salary before escalators/incentives which is 18.1m. So at the LEAST if he is playing for the first 2 years(unless some of the money is for injury only) he'll make a little over 9m a year for the first two years before escalators/incentives. Including incentives, he could make 10m a year which is crazy. He's good, but he's not that good. This was a type of contract I expected for Talib and hoped Sherman would take 12-14m, but guess that was a pipe dream.

rideaducati

Reaction score
The Seahawks could put the franchise tag on Sherman two years in a row after next season at less cost than a long term deal would be, so I'm not really worried about losing Sherm.

Scottemojo

Reaction score
Jville":2j8w2p7b said:
Under contract details >>>>>
3/8/2014: Signed a four-year, $39 million contract. The deal included a $12.5 million signing bonus. 2014: $2.5 million, 2015: $3.1 million, 2016: $2.5 million, 2017: $3.1 million, 2018: Free Agent

$12.5 million signing bonus + yearly bases of + $2.5 mil + $3.1 mil + $2.5 mil + $2.5 mil = $23.7 million in specified dollars.

In the above accounting, there are unspecified dollars of $39 million - $23.7 million = $15.3 million.

If the unspecified dollars consist of things like work out and roster bonuses, then it is essentially a two year deal in which the Packers have the option of bailing after a couple of years if the performance isn't there. $21 million over two years is, never-the-less a good size bet. Perhaps we will get more details in the coming days.
Good work.

Scottemojo

Reaction score
kearly":149w55c2 said:
Scottemojo":149w55c2 said:
I am more keyed on Verner to gauge the CB market.

I'm not denying that "setting the market" is a real phenomenon, but I think it's equal parts truth and mirage. For example, last year Mike Wallace signed for 5/60. A while later, Wes Welker only got 2/12. A few days later, Danny Amendola got 5/31. Every player has a unique market and sometimes teams will overpay to get a guy they feel they must have, while playing hardball with others, sometimes even with superior talents. Right now in baseball there are several upper tier free agents that are still available well into spring training because their markets were not impacted at all by the blockbuster signings that preceded them.

I think with Sherman, he knows what he's worth and it's unlikely that needle will budge much if at all when Verner signs a 5/55 type contract. I think the real player to watch is Byrd, a UFA whom many consider to be on Earl's level. Whatever Byrd gets paid, I think Seattle will probably have to match that for Earl. And Byrd will probably get paid a ton.
When it comes time to negotiate with Sherm, we will find out the real reason he has been calling himself the best.

As far as those WR contracts, an old slot guy and an oft injured slot guy are pretty hard to compare to Wallace. Wallace and Harvin got fairly similar numbers.

Popeyejones

Reaction score
Shields and Grimes are the only two CBs who have signed this offseason, correct? Grimes was 8 million per (on paper) and Shields is just under 10.

I think this might tell us a few things:

1) The supposedly strong CB class isn't going to weaken the FA market for CBs, which will probably be true of other strong positions in this draft class like WR. The alternative hypothesis here is that they are related, but the CB class isn't believed to be as strong as it has been touted as.

2) The flat cap era, which goes back to 2007 or so, is at least believed to be over, and people are acting like it.

3) Revis' deal was discussed as being exceptional and a one-time event because of the lack of guaranteed money, but the lack of guaranteed money may have had more to do with his injury than the price point being exceptional. A few months ago I said that I expected Sherman to get around 13 million per, and a whole bunch of folks here called me a troll and just a 9ers fan trying to hate. That looks like it might have been a low estimate. If high end second tier players at his position are getting 8-10, it wouldn't surprise me at all if he gets 13-16.

Marvin49

Reaction score
YIKES.

For Shields? Seriously.

...and I though 6 mil for Rogers was high. So much for Niners grabbing a quality corner in FA. Looks like its gonna be the draft.

Sherman? Yeah...he's gonna get paid, but I'd rather pay Sherman 16 with the cap increasing than Shields 10. Sherman is more than twice the corner Shields is...and I say that as someone who can't stand the guy.

RolandDeschain

Reaction score
The more I think about this, the more it angers me. What a waste of money. Shields should be arrested for robbery.

AbsolutNET

Reaction score
I'm starting to feel pretty good about the contract I gave Sherman in Madden over the weekend, now.

Marvin49

Reaction score
RolandDeschain":wq5sha30 said:
The more I think about this, the more it angers me. What a waste of money. Shields should be arrested for robbery.

It hurts anyone who needs a corner or has a corner they want to keep...but I think the expanding cap will eventually do this at every position and was one of the many reasons the 18 mil request from Kap didn't shock me.

Hell, I heard on the radio this morning that the Raiders were offering 8 mil per for freakin Roger Saffold. The market is nuts. My guess is Verner clears 10.

This is why good teams like Seattle and SF build in the draft. In FA you pay HUGE $$$ for B level players.

MizzouHawkGal

Reaction score
Marvin49":2qo0u3g8 said:
RolandDeschain":2qo0u3g8 said:

It hurts anyone who needs a corner or has a corner they want to keep...but I think the expanding cap will eventually do this at every position and was one of the many reasons the 18 mil request from Kap didn't shock me.

Hell, I heard on the radio this morning that the Raiders were offering 8 mil per for freakin Roger Saffold. The market is nuts. My guess is Verner clears 10.

This is why good teams like Seattle and SF build in the draft. In FA you pay HUGE $$$ for B level players.
The market is overcorrecting itself big time.

SouthSoundHawk

Reaction score
I think Seattle and Sherman know what his true value is, and shouldn't let Greenbay's dumb decisions affect his contract. He'll get his FOR SURE, but it will actually make some freaking sense when it's all said and done, haha.

kearly

Reaction score
Scottemojo":3i0a1nd8 said:
As far as those WR contracts, an old slot guy and an oft injured slot guy are pretty hard to compare to Wallace. Wallace and Harvin got fairly similar numbers.

My point was different guys, different markets. Before that offseason Welker was considered the best WR available, it was just assumed he'd sign a shorter deal but he was still going to get paid as he was massively productive and WR does not age like other positions do. No matter how you slice it, him signing for half the annual average Wallace got was considered arguably the biggest shocker of that free agency period (though I like the guy, lets not pretend Wallace is a multi-faceted WR).

I don't think Wallace really set the market anyway, Miami was desperate. He was Ireland's equivalent of Albert Haynesworth. Desperate signings generally do not set the market these days. How many guys got $200 million after Cano signed for $240m?

Amendola probably deserved a 1 year, $3 million contract but got a contract in excess of $30 million because the Patriots got desperate.

Regarding Harvin, that is not an unfair point, but for the record I think Seattle overpaid for Harvin too, just in a totally unrelated manner. I don't think the dollar amount was influenced by Wallace, I just think Seattle was that desperate for Harvin because guys with Harvin's toolkit and success are extremely rare. We saw last season that Harvin is more than a nice to have player given how exploitable our offense is without him. I bet you Pete figured this out a year early, and adopted a hell or high water attitude towards acquiring Percy.