CenturyLink Field is no longer the "Home of the 12th Man."

MizzouHawkGal

Reaction score
BlueTalon":rstwabsm said:
DTexHawk":rstwabsm said:
So, has the Seahawk organization dissed their fan base?
Not sure where you get that from.

DTexHawk":rstwabsm said:
BTW, I don't think you know most Aggies. :th2thumbs:
Allow me to amplify. I am pretty sure a significant portion of Aggies are not idiots. But IME the majority of Aggies I interact with online are. Exhibit 1 is butthurt boy EthanCW.
Please attack the post not the poster.

Jo

sc85sis

Reaction score
I like 12s because the Seahawks own the trademark, can use it however they want and never have to worry about pesky little Aggies buzzing around and moaning ever again.

Smart. I like smart.

Fudwamper

Reaction score
I am the 12th man nothing else. Was way before any texas bullcrap or marketing crap. I will not be a part of the 12's. I was a seahawk fan in the 80's and 90's. I am pround of the moniker that drove a rule change and put elway into a tizzy. For everything else well go stick were the sun dont shine

EthanCW

Reaction score
BlueTalon":1j1c6rwq said:
EthanCW":1j1c6rwq said:
[If A&M's case is so weak, why pay anything?
If A&M's case is so strong, why did they allow the Seahawks to use the term when so many Aggies didn't want anyone else to use it at all?

I explained that in my post.

The short short version is:

(1) A&M needed validation of their trademark.
(2) The Seahawks provided that validation by agreeing to pay a nominal amount. ( and also ceding that A&M owns the term "12th Man" for financial gain and branding)
(3) The writing was on the wall concerning the looming license negotiation, for after 2016. The license was going to be priced such that either the Seahawks couldn't afford it or thought the term "12th Man" wasn't worth it, and "organically" shifted to the term "12s".

An even shorter version:

2006: Weak A&M "12th Man" trademark. ----> 2016 Strong A&M "12th Man" trademark + $150,000 in Seahawk money.

It won't get any more plain than that. The reason A&M allowed the term to be licensed was to validate the fact that they could license the term.

Now, in 2016, if another entity wants to license the term "12th Man", they will have to pay the market price. A price which apparently is high enough for an NFL team to change the signs on its stadium and "organically" shift from 30 years of tradition. Can you even put a price on that? Seems priceless to me.

DTexHawk

Reaction score
BlueTalon":3u0jaflv said:
DTexHawk":3u0jaflv said:
So, has the Seahawk organization dissed their fan base?
Not sure where you get that from.

/quote]

If the majority of fans want "12th Man", but the organization doesn't want to pay the price for it, nor do they want to fight the trademark, then one could say they aren't supporting their fans.

You are free to disagree.

Latest posts