Championship lessons

TreeRon

Reaction score
MeanBlueGreen":3nxvwudh said:
onepicknick1":3nxvwudh said:
Wilson is not Goff or Brady then on the other side Goff and Brady are not Wilson, Brady always has an incredible line. I seriously think Russ needs a great QB coach some of the throws I seen today would have been a sack for us and then I seen some of the throws would have been a TD for us.

They say this is a copy cat league why is it nobody can copy the Patriots coaching or player's?

Before everybody jumps all over me again this is not a diss on Russ I think he is as good if not better then both but they never play to his strengths behind a line like Brady has I wonder what he could really be?

If the GOAT is your QB, you stand a reasonable chance of winning every game you're in. The offense is perfectly designed around Brady's strengths and minimizes his weaknesses (long ball). There is no one better at driving the offense when there is blood in the water. We witnessed it in the Super Bowl - when you lose or don't have a decent pass rush, and get Brady off the mark and harass him (pissed off Brady) he will slice and dice you mercilessly. They have so many rub routs, quick slants, curls etc. that it is virtually impossible to stop them if they are executing. KC pass rush was gassed after an incredibly productive season - evidenced by the colossosaly dumb move of lining up in the neutral zone to negate the game winning interception. That's just mental fatigue.

So, can the Seahawks replicate that? Probably not, but Wilson is right up there with the 4th quarter comebacks. Edelman > Baldwin? Not necessarily. It requires a commitment to the short passing game, something we have never had. Instead, we have the short running game. When that's not there, we are kind of left with incredible long passes or lots of 3 and outs...

Edelman and team has those rub routes (picks) down "pat" . Baldwin et al could practice those ad infinitum, but of course if the Hawks they'd be flagged.

Boycie

Reaction score
nwHawk":14xpw9co said:
After watching both games, what lessons do you think that Seahawks coaches and the front office can learn to make the team better?

Loved (& hated) seeing Brady take what the Cheifs gave them. Loved how the Patriots went to their best players in crucial times late in the game. The didn't get cute, and they just executed.

Both the Rams and Patriots applied pressure at important times without selling out unnecessarily. Rams should have lost, but they NEVER gave up. They chipped their way back and played through the noise. TEs played big throughout the day.

Oh, and field goal kickers frickin matter!

You're John Schneider, Pete Carroll or Russell Wilson - what did you take away from the games?

The turning point in the Rams/Saints game was the fake punt by Hekker. The Rams had nothing going until that play.

Seymour

Reaction score
knownone":ham2zale said:
Relocate your team to one of the biggest media markets where no one cares about football, then let the NFL take care of the rest.

This.

I'm no conspiracy theorist but good god. :shock: That is very difficult ending to explain to any rational person. :pukeface:

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
nwHawk":uoicv1b9 said:
Oh, and field goal kickers frickin matter

This is what was on clear display yesterday, and all through the playoffs. You better have a lights out kicker, or you're probably going to lose.

57 yard FG to win the game? Seabass would have pulled BOTH hamstrings and the ball would have hit the cameraman in the stands.

Seahwkgal

Reaction score
I am so sick of other team envy here. I live in Lions country and am so glad and proud to be a fan of a successful franchise. Perspective is everything, it really is.
I am so stoked for next season. We had an amazing rebuilding year. We made the playoffs. Next season, we are gonna roll. Watch. I am still not watching the SB. I just don’t care about the competitors.

Scorpion05

Reaction score
Spin Doctor":17qycwq5 said:
Scorpion05":17qycwq5 said:
When was the last time a quick strike offense actually won the Super Bowl?

The Patriots are an amazing example of versatility and coaching. Regardless of talent, somehow they figure out a way to take away your best weapon. They made Tyreek Hill non-existent

What we can learn is that balance is important. Having a run identity is great, but be willing to throw and throw often if necessary. I’ve seen the Patriots win even when Brady throws for 150 yards, but they run for 200

The Chiefs lost because they lack balance. The Patriots will always leave you yelling “What if” and feeling like they’re lucky. But they grind out all their wins. They don’t blow you out. The year when they did blow teams out, they lost to the Giants, who grinded out a win against them

The Saints are another great example of balance this year. They just got screwed on a really bad no call
I don't think people want a quick strike offense. The only thing I want is some of those concepts to be implemented into our game-plan. The Patriots, Rams, and Saints all have those plays in their playbook, and can bring them out if need be. Our offensive play-calling is just very one dimensional. We're missing bread and butter plays that are in just about every playbook, and we don't even use some passing concepts that most teams do.

We're very one dimensional by design. Pete's style is to win games by attrition, but is often times does not know how to transition, or transitions to late when need be. It's good to have the grind it out mentality, but that does not work every game, and when it is stopped adjustments are needed.

Oh I completely agree. Balance is the key

If we need to do more QB runs in a game, do it. If we need to pass more, pass. If we need to run more, run.

I just believe this team needs to leverage all of our skills in key moments. I have no doubt that if Wilson played for Belicheck, he would utilize Wilson in unique ways, whatever it takes to win. We have so many options to be versatile as an offense and yet, we choose one stubborn identity. You can't win in the league that way

There's a reason why Blake Bortles didn't win a SB with the best defense and a great running game. Ditto for Lamar Jackson. There's a reason why Andy Reid hasn't won one yet, because when it gets to playoff time his lack of balance with running the football is exposed. Balance matters in the NFL, adaptability matters in the NFL. If there's anything you can take from the Patriots(other than their occasional cheating) is that Belicheck always builds the team to be adaptable within games. It's remarkable

chris98251

Reaction score
Patriots have guys that will sell their souls to Belichek, as much as I hate him Edleman is a tough SOB for all the hits he takes across the middle and sells out for Belichek and Brady in the biggest moments, Gronk the same, they find role players that buy in big time as well. You can't discount Belichek as a defensive genius as also, he and Pete find ways to adapt on that side of the ball. On Offense however Belichek allows a lot more freedom from McDaniel's to call what he needs in any given game. That's the adaptive concept that is different.

thegameq

Reaction score
John63":2wj15vs3 said:
nwHawk":2wj15vs3 said:
After watching both games, what lessons do you think that Seahawks coaches and the front office can learn to make the team better?

Loved (& hated) seeing Brady take what the Cheifs gave them. Loved how the Patriots went to their best players in crucial times late in the game. The didn't get cute, and they just executed.

Both the Rams and Patriots applied pressure at important times without selling out unnecessarily. Rams should have lost, but they NEVER gave up. They chipped their way back and played through the noise. TEs played big throughout the day.

You're John Schneider, Pete Carroll or Russell Wilson - what did you take away from the games?

Stop with the "we are going to do what we do no matter what" and start game planning to take advantage of what they aren't doing Like Throwing more when they load the box. GAME PLAN BETTER AND ADJUST QUICKER!

This.

Is it just me or does it seem like with the exception of Belichek (sp?) most coaches don't really have much of a backup plan if things go wrong? It's almost as if they have no clue when plan A doesn't work. You'd be lucky to see a plan B--forget about a plan C. Weird how no one else has copied or wants to copy the Patriots because their system is very difficult to implement, so I've heard.

knownone

Reaction score
thegameq":kuq17egm said:
John63":kuq17egm said:
nwHawk":kuq17egm said:

Stop with the "we are going to do what we do no matter what" and start game planning to take advantage of what they aren't doing Like Throwing more when they load the box. GAME PLAN BETTER AND ADJUST QUICKER!

This.

Is it just me or does it seem like with the exception of Belichek (sp?) most coaches don't really have much of a backup plan if things go wrong? It's almost as if they have no clue when plan A doesn't work. You'd be lucky to see a plan B--forget about a plan C. Weird how no one else has copied or wants to copy the Patriots because their system is very difficult to implement, so I've heard.
The Patriots system involves having the best QB of all time at getting the ball out quickly and building a complex dink and dunk offense around him. It’s not exactly an easy thing to emulate. That’s the thing people don’t realize about the Pats. They don’t really have a plan B, Brady is just so good at taking what the defense gives him that it’s hard to contain him for 4 quarters.

If you put Brady in Seattle, our offense would shift toward his strengths and we’d be just has hard to stop. Put Wilson in New England and they’d shift their scheme to emphasize deep passing since Wilson strength has never been getting the ball out quickly.

John63

Reaction score
knownone":fpfcaz7j said:
thegameq":fpfcaz7j said:
John63":fpfcaz7j said:
nwHawk":fpfcaz7j said:

This.

The Patriots system involves having the best QB of all time at getting the ball out quickly and building a complex dink and dunk offense around him. It’s not exactly an easy thing to emulate. That’s the thing people don’t realize about the Pats. They don’t really have a plan B, Brady is just so good at taking what the defense gives him that it’s hard to contain him for 4 quarters.

If you put Brady in Seattle, our offense would shift toward his strengths and we’d be just has hard to stop. Put Wilson in New England and they’d shift their scheme to emphasize deep passing since Wilson strength has never been getting the ball out quickly.

another false narrative in 2015 he was top 5 in getting the ball out because we ran that kind of offense. The problem is we don't run that kind of offense, we run a run the ball take shots downfield which take time. In 2016 Wilson was .05 longer than Brady [urlhttps://nextgenstats.nfl.com/stats/passing/2016/all#average-time-to-throw[/url].

The reality is we don't play that kind of offense.

misfit

Reaction score
onepicknick1":2vurw86d said:
Wilson is not Goff or Brady then on the other side Goff and Brady are not Wilson, Brady always has an incredible line. I seriously think Russ needs a great QB coach some of the throws I seen today would have been a sack for us and then I seen some of the throws would have been a TD for us.

They say this is a copy cat league why is it nobody can copy the Patriots coaching or player's?

Before everybody jumps all over me again this is not a diss on Russ I think he is as good if not better then both but they never play to his strengths behind a line like Brady has I wonder what he could really be?

I'm trying to figure out why you put Goff and Brady in the same breath...

knownone

Reaction score
John63":rzkvq2se said:
knownone":rzkvq2se said:
thegameq":rzkvq2se said:
John63":rzkvq2se said:

This.

another false narrative in 2015 he was top 5 in getting the ball out because we ran that kind of offense. The problem is we don't run that kind of offense, we run a run the ball take shots downfield which take time. In 2016 Wilson was .05 longer than Brady [urlhttps://nextgenstats.nfl.com/stats/passing/2016/all#average-time-to-throw[/url].

The reality is we don't play that kind of offense.
You are literally using one season to justify your argument while ignoring the fact that every other season Wilson ranks in the bottom 5 of time to throw. Perhaps you should look into the definition of a false narrative because it is your narrative that lends itself to being false, not mine. Outliers do not define the narrative.

You'd have to assume that we'd run the exact same style of offense if we had Tom Brady for your conclusion to be correct and I find it hard to believe we'd do that. The Seahawks have designed their system around Pete's philosophy and Russell's strength. You need to look no further than Matt Hasselbeck to see that Pete will utilize the strength of his QB. Pete utilized a wide variety of underneath routes and short passes when he had Hasselbeck because that is what Hasselbeck's strengths were.

scutterhawk

Reaction score
onepicknick1":2kkolw3p said:

I'm thinking along the same lines...With a re-Coaching comes Readjustments, & not just for Russell Wilson, but for just about everyone on Offensive personnel.
So, considering that not everyone was on the same page in the 2018 season, but having won 10 games (wow!) amidst all the misfires, & injuries, I'm feeling pretty pumped for the 2019 campaign.
I believe that the players will benefit big time IF we can bring back some of the O-Line players that were showing some positive growth, and look to find some heavy hitters for backups, should we end up with the injuries that always seem to keep coming our way on both Offense & Defense.

justafan

Reaction score
I love our smashmouth offense but I really wish Wilson and the staff would use our RBs in the passing O like the patriots do.
Our screen game has some of the worst executed plays I have seen.

Even if you have the best team luck plays a huge role over a season and everything needs to fall in place at the right time to win it all.

jammerhawk

Reaction score
The lesson the Patriots have is to quickly adjust to take whatever the other team is allowing you to take. Therein is a lesson for the whole league.

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
jammerhawk":kvusez0o said:
The lesson the Patriots have is to quickly adjust to take whatever the other team is allowing you to take. Therein is a lesson for the whole league.

But the Patriots barely adjusted at all. Their gameplan was to run the ball down the weak ass KC run defense, which softened up KC's zone coverage for the entire 2nd half to throw the ball pretty much at will.

I know we like to turn all these narratives into an indictment on Pete and his lack of adjusting, but it's a poor example. What Belichick and his coaches do well is all done BEFORE the game is even played.

thegameq

Reaction score
MeanBlueGreen":1besldm1 said:
onepicknick1":1besldm1 said:

If the GOAT is your QB, you stand a reasonable chance of winning every game you're in. The offense is perfectly designed around Brady's strengths and minimizes his weaknesses (long ball). There is no one better at driving the offense when there is blood in the water. We witnessed it in the Super Bowl - when you lose or don't have a decent pass rush, and get Brady off the mark and harass him (pissed off Brady) he will slice and dice you mercilessly. They have so many rub routs, quick slants, curls etc. that it is virtually impossible to stop them if they are executing. KC pass rush was gassed after an incredibly productive season - evidenced by the colossosaly dumb move of lining up in the neutral zone to negate the game winning interception. That's just mental fatigue.

So, can the Seahawks replicate that? Probably not, but Wilson is right up there with the 4th quarter comebacks. Edelman > Baldwin? Not necessarily. It requires a commitment to the short passing game, something we have never had. Instead, we have the short running game. When that's not there, we are kind of left with incredible long passes or lots of 3 and outs...

Why not? Is it really so hard to replicate from an Xs and Os standpoint? I believe it was during Andy Dalton's and Matt Ryan's best years that they emulated the Patriots quick short pass philosophy. It's been said over and over how lethal the quick short passing game is to a defense, but I find it odd that no one else has been able to execute it to perfection the way the Pats have.

Just really curious as to why in a "copy cat league" no one has emulated the Patriots. Is it really that difficult?

MontanaHawk05

Reaction score
thegameq":bajocp2k said:
MeanBlueGreen":bajocp2k said:
onepicknick1":bajocp2k said:

Why not? Is it really so hard to replicate from an Xs and Os standpoint? I believe it was during Andy Dalton's and Matt Ryan's best years that they emulated the Patriots quick short pass philosophy. It's been said over and over how lethal the quick short passing game is to a defense, but I find it odd that no one else has been able to execute it to perfection the way the Pats have.

Just really curious as to why in a "copy cat league" no one has emulated the Patriots. Is it really that difficult?

It is extremely difficult.

Every offense needs some of it, and Wilson has shown he can do it at times. But to sustain it and make it your primary identity, that's tough.

Also, quick passing games are something you see more of when you're in the 4th quarter, not the others. That's because it's easier to accomplish then with defenses playing prevent. Again I'll say, a great deal of Brady's (and Wilson's for that matter) success is the ability to capitalize on soft zone defenses in the 4th.

chris98251

Reaction score
Patriots do one thing extremely well, Belichek has a knack for it, finding players, and coaches with incredible drive and heart and toughness that he puts in a position to succeed. He is a great defensive coach as well and doesn't seem to box himself in to one formula.