Championship lessons

SoulfishHawk

Reaction score
The other thing about Bill B that is impressive to me is that he finds a huge strength of his opponent and game plans to take that away. Just like he did w/Tyreek Hill. He took their best weapon and was able to shut him down. He had ONE CATCH.

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
SoulfishHawk":325155a6 said:
The other thing about Bill B that is impressive to me is that he finds a huge strength of his opponent and game plans to take that away. Just like he did w/Tyreek Hill. He took their best weapon and was able to shut him down. He had ONE CATCH.

He can do it to multiple weapons, he took Kelce out of the game as well. Both were done by sending extra rushers and stunting up the middle over and over collapsing the pocket on Mahomes forcing him to either backpeddle and get off rhythm or scramble........and jamming every receiver at the line throwing off timing and constricting throwing lanes.

As much as I hate Belichick, he's playing chess while everyone else is playing checkers.

SoulfishHawk

Reaction score
When people say he's the best of all time, it's hard to argue. Nobody gets more out of his players, and nobody game plans like him. It's unreal.

John63

Reaction score
John63":37xs1y7u said:
knownone":37xs1y7u said:
thegameq":37xs1y7u said:
John63":37xs1y7u said:
Stop with the "we are going to do what we do no matter what" and start game planning to take advantage of what they aren't doing Like Throwing more when they load the box. GAME PLAN BETTER AND ADJUST QUICKER!

This.

Is it just me or does it seem like with the exception of Belichek (sp?) most coaches don't really have much of a backup plan if things go wrong? It's almost as if they have no clue when plan A doesn't work. You'd be lucky to see a plan B--forget about a plan C. Weird how no one else has copied or wants to copy the Patriots because their system is very difficult to implement, so I've heard.
The Patriots system involves having the best QB of all time at getting the ball out quickly and building a complex dink and dunk offense around him. It’s not exactly an easy thing to emulate. That’s the thing people don’t realize about the Pats. They don’t really have a plan B, Brady is just so good at taking what the defense gives him that it’s hard to contain him for 4 quarters.

If you put Brady in Seattle, our offense would shift toward his strengths and we’d be just has hard to stop. Put Wilson in New England and they’d shift their scheme to emphasize deep passing since Wilson strength has never been getting the ball out quickly.

another false narrative in 2015 he was top 5 in getting the ball out because we ran that kind of offense. The problem is we don't run that kind of offense, we run a run the ball take shots downfield which take time. In 2016 Wilson was .05 longer than Brady [urlhttps://nextgenstats.nfl.com/stats/passing/2016/all#average-time-to-throw[/url].

The reality is we don't play that kind of offense.

We did that year because we could not run the ball and had no choice

John63

Reaction score
knownone":6fx46sc7 said:
thegameq":6fx46sc7 said:
John63":6fx46sc7 said:
nwHawk":6fx46sc7 said:
After watching both games, what lessons do you think that Seahawks coaches and the front office can learn to make the team better?

Loved (& hated) seeing Brady take what the Cheifs gave them. Loved how the Patriots went to their best players in crucial times late in the game. The didn't get cute, and they just executed.

Both the Rams and Patriots applied pressure at important times without selling out unnecessarily. Rams should have lost, but they NEVER gave up. They chipped their way back and played through the noise. TEs played big throughout the day.

Oh, and field goal kickers frickin matter!

You're John Schneider, Pete Carroll or Russell Wilson - what did you take away from the games?

Stop with the "we are going to do what we do no matter what" and start game planning to take advantage of what they aren't doing Like Throwing more when they load the box. GAME PLAN BETTER AND ADJUST QUICKER!

This.

Is it just me or does it seem like with the exception of Belichek (sp?) most coaches don't really have much of a backup plan if things go wrong? It's almost as if they have no clue when plan A doesn't work. You'd be lucky to see a plan B--forget about a plan C. Weird how no one else has copied or wants to copy the Patriots because their system is very difficult to implement, so I've heard.
The Patriots system involves having the best QB of all time at getting the ball out quickly and building a complex dink and dunk offense around him. It’s not exactly an easy thing to emulate. That’s the thing people don’t realize about the Pats. They don’t really have a plan B, Brady is just so good at taking what the defense gives him that it’s hard to contain him for 4 quarters.

If you put Brady in Seattle, our offense would shift toward his strengths and we’d be just has hard to stop. Put Wilson in New England and they’d shift their scheme to emphasize deep passing since Wilson strength has never been getting the ball out quickly.

Actually no you are assuming we would change, and nothing that PC has done shows that at all, you are also assuming that the reason for the change is a lack of ability by Wilson or Brady to run what the other team likes to do. So sorry but what I stated was a fact, what you are stating is assumptions. Its a fact in 2015 we changed our offense because we could not run, Lynch was hurt, we're down to our like 3rd RB etc. As soon as Lynch came back they went right back to the old stuff despite us showing we could win the other way. So once again you are assuming a lot to prove your narrative, I stated a fact that shows my narrative.

jammerhawk

Reaction score
Sgt. Largent":3go8c3i4 said:
jammerhawk":3go8c3i4 said:
The lesson the Patriots have is to quickly adjust to take whatever the other team is allowing you to take. Therein is a lesson for the whole league.

But the Patriots barely adjusted at all. Their gameplan was to run the ball down the weak ass KC run defense, which softened up KC's zone coverage for the entire 2nd half to throw the ball pretty much at will.

I know we like to turn all these narratives into an indictment on Pete and his lack of adjusting, but it's a poor example. What Belichick and his coaches do well is all done BEFORE the game is even played.

I could have sworn I noticed the commentators observing the Pats taking advantage of the weak side defensive coverage and running to where the D wasn’t. The comments were about the in game adjustments to the realities they faced. Even Farve on Monday observed the same and was calling plays based upon what he could see. The Pats adjusted to this as the game went along and then when they moved. I do agree however that the Pats appear better prepared than every other team but adjust well the game.

TheLegendOfBoom

Reaction score
West TX Hawk":2m5f5igc said:
1) Exploit the opposition’s weakness as opposed to trying to out-athlete them.
2) Adjust early in the game not late in the 4th if your game plan is not working.
3) More quick slants, medium routes and screens
4) Get the plays in quicker on O and keep the tempo moving
5) Be flexible in your entire philosophy and be observant of trends-both to exploit and adopt
This sounds about right.

But, let's instead, run, run, throw 20 yards towards the sideline, incomplete, punt.

Let's do this, all 4 quarters and if it doesn't work, it means the better team won because they out coached the Seahawks.

Well, duhhhhhh!!!

This season (loss to the Cowboys) still irks me.

Smh.

Thewormturns

Reaction score
The Rams outplayed the Saints in the last 3 qtrs, outgaining them by 200 yds, they held the Saints down and the Saints could not stop them. the call sucked, like all bad calls suck, did it suck more than the missed face mask on Goff at the goal line, maybe, if the Rams get the face mask call, they likely get a touchdown and go up 24-20. At that point Brees can't run out the clock and play for a FG. That missed face mask call sucked too!!!

As it stands, Brees got the ball back, could have scored a TD on all the other plays that were not the famous missed PI call, but only managed a FG. They could have stopped the Rams but DID NOT and the Rams drove down and kicked the tying FG.

Saints WON the coin toss like the Patriots in their OT Win, Saints got slammed and threw a pic and then the Rams drove on them again and the Saints lost. Saints had plenty opps to win but did not, they got outplayed, had less than 300 yds on offense, lost on every single offensive statistical category except Penalties and the coin toss.

Its a shame, the Rams had an ass kicking season, they beat the Hawks twice in some tough games, in addition they beat the Chargers, the Chiefs, the Cowboys and the Saints, all teams picking very late in the draft.

Attyla the Hawk

Reaction score
Honestly?

Go the direction they are going. For all of the hype early in the season to star wars offenses, what meant the most this weekend?

Running game and defense.

Seattle is basically 2/3 of the way there. They simply didn't have the defense needed to leverage our offense. Plain and simple to me.

Seattle needs to close the explosive pass plays. We neither had great safety play, nor a pass rush to get home. Literally it felt like Seattle's defense was one player away (FS or DE) from being better.

Seattle made massive strides this year. We have a blueprint for how to win. Offensively we were spot on. But we didn't have the defense to allow that offense to sit on wins. This team succumbed in games where we struggled on third down. A better defense allows for this team to survive game to game limitations on third down on offense.

The team is close. They just didn't have the defense to keep other teams down. And they have many of the pieces in place right now to do that. This defense really missed Thomas and Bennett. We need better than their replacements gave us this year.

This weekend's games really stressed to me just how potent our approach can be. But it requires a top 10 defense in order to do it. Playoff games are so different than regular season games. Whistles get swallowed. Defenders are allowed to play tighter. Offenses are allowed to cheat a bit more. I can't think of a better environment for Pete to succeed in than that.

Seymour

Reaction score
Thewormturns":1umg0ph7 said:
.....Saints had plenty opps to win but did not, they got outplayed, had less than 300 yds on offense, lost on every single offensive statistical category except Penalties and the coin toss.

Had the most obvious call on the planet been made, none of those opps would have been needed...game over! :177692:
Making the Rams out like they dominated the entire game is pretty telling about your angle here, they did NOT dominate.

Tical21

Reaction score
It'd be nice to kick a 57 yarder to win a game. But I was struck by how much luck is involved. Once you get to that point, the teams are relatively matched. Nobody really made a bunch more plays or anything, it just kind of came down to how the ball rolled.