Chancellor on the trading block?

Status
Not open for further replies.

JSeahawks

Reaction score
seatownlowdown":2tg6mu13 said:
JSeahawks":2tg6mu13 said:
If you think we're getting much more than a 4th for kam I think you're a bit dillusional.

... and yet if you think we would give him up for less than a 3rd id say the same

I'd much rather just take a 4th and say thank you than have him hold out, miss a few games and mess with team chemistry again.

bigskydoc

Reaction score
JSeahawks":1mtlsjoq said:
If you think we're getting much more than a 4th for kam I think you're a bit dillusional.

Not sure if that was aimed at me. If so, it's a fair accusation/ misunderstanding. I'm certainly not suggesting we could get a second for him. I think your assessment of a fourth at best is pretty much spot on.

I'm just saying that if a SWAP of second round picks in exchange for Chancellor is on the table (and I'm not sure why another team would want to do this) I would not be interested in just moving up a few spots and giving him to a divisional rival who is likely to be near the top of the league in the next couple of years. I would rather it be a swap into the early second and he goes to a team where we will rarely have to face off against him.

-bsd

ivotuk

Reaction score
JSeahawks":3svxq3h1 said:

Where the hell is iRo when you need him :?: dillusional --> delusional is how it's spelled J.... sheesh!

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
Fade":11p5eusd said:
I could see it happening. If hard headed Kam is hell bent on a new contract, and prepared to hold out again. You might as well trade him now, and get something for him.

A high 2nd (Nick Martin), and an additional 4th + cap savings would be for the best if the situation warrants it.

This.

The only reason Kam would be on the trading block is if he's going to do what he did last year, be a pain in the butt with new contract demands again.

No way Pete and John put up with that nonsense for another off season and training camp distraction.

Also again, Kam's getting bad advice if he and his agent think he can get a monster deal elsewhere, not after the way he played last year coming in late and getting hurt, again.

nrayorr

Reaction score
Hawk_Nation":9rf1ptbm said:
I was listening to Redskins radio yesterday while at my brothers place (he's a huge fan) and the talking heads were discussing trading for Kam. They were kicking around the idea on Kam and our 2nd round pick for their 1st rounder (#21).

As much as I love Kam, if an offer like that would come to fruition I would do that in a heart beat. Save his cap dollars, sign two O-lineman, draft another, and draft Derrick Henry with #26. :D

:13: This.

Kam's style of play (with exception to this past season) reminded me of how I played (head hunter), and as much as I love Kam I wouldn't turn down that offer at all. I have to think about the team as a whole. Definitely would make that trade.

massari

Reaction score
JSeahawks":1m8kzdy9 said:
The Seahawks basically gave up a 1st for Graham, a 5th for McCray and 3rd+4th+5th+6th for an unproven Lockett last off season. Would you have traded Kam straight up for Graham? I think his value should be pretty similar.

Getting a 4th for a player who's still one of the best at his position wouldn't be worth it. He's only 28 so there were probably other factors that led to him having an off year.

mikeak

Reaction score
A lot of people thought he looked slow because he stayed in his zone as a defender. Remember wo don't play man-to-man

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
RussB":3iyofzoa said:
No way they release Kam. Hes too valuable.

They'll trade him if he insists on holding out for 10M+ a year like he did last year. Release? No, he has no leverage to dictate that move with two years left on his deal.

Seymour

Reaction score
Take it before they change their minds! Kam is on his way down, he knows it and is attempting to cash out what he can. Yes, great highlight reel hits and play in the past was excellent, but 1 by 1 those are coming at the cost of now giving up explosive plays and poor route coverage. Overrated....He wants to play hardball for more $$? Throw him the rock.

Basis4day

Reaction score
HawkGA":1z0c3qtp said:
Here is the article in question. Skins made the playoffs, right? So swapping positions in the draft isn't really that big of a deal.

http://www.hogshaven.com/2016/3/9/11190 ... stay-tuned

That post is from their version of Fieldgulls. It's really only to discuss the possibility amongst their fans. It doesn't mean to imply that there are players, FO people, or agents discussing it as a real trade.

Rumors continue to swirl around the possible trade destination for the safety that hasn't seen eye-to-eye with the Seahawks franchise for some time.

This post is more for discussion purposes. Let's say the Redskins swap out of the second round, and add an extra fourth rounder for the right to add Kam Chancellor to the defense. Are you okay with that?

Attyla the Hawk

Reaction score
All purely speculative. We can't know how the Chancellor hold out last year affected the FO's thinking.

I would put forth for consideration the possibility that this could be plausible. Based on the following factors:

1. Hold out likelihood. I do believe that there is a very high probability that either Bennett or Chancellor (or both) will hold out this offseason if they don't get a bump in pay.

Bennett chose to play on a ridiculously undervalued contract. He's going to have a ton of leverage this off season. If he does make a play for more cash like Lynch, then Seattle is almost obliged to consider it. Bennett did everything he was supposed to do in that situation. Play and let the team take care of him down the road. If Seattle doesn't ante up -- then we set a precedent that we are an organization that won't take care of the guys that demonstrate restraint in these situations. These situations will arise again and again now that we're tight on the cap.

I don't think anyone here would argue that Bennett and Chancellor both feel underpaid. Our cap situation what it is -- we can't pay both of them. And with the signings we've made -- we can't pay either of them.

It will likely come down to paying one instead of the other. In that case I think the choice for Seattle is clear on who should be paid. Both from an effectiveness standpoint. But also from a intrinsic value standpoint. And replaceability standpoint. And from a 'deserve it' standpoint.

Given the cap the way it is today -- the only way to provide Bennett with a bump in pay is to prune a big contract from the roster. We don't have many of those. Chancellor is one of those salaries we could reallocate to Bennett.

But if we do bump Bennett and not Chancellor -- what are the odds that he doesn't sit out again? Probably low.

I do think that by the end of the UFA period, we're going to have to find 4-5m somewhere and give it to Bennett. And if it's not Chancellor, then we're likely going to need to restructure his deal to more guarantees or find more money on top of that.

From that perspective -- I can see the notion of shipping Chancellor off for improved draft stock to have merit. Your two pay bump headaches are resolved in one single transaction. And you're getting draft stock in return.

Not saying I think it'll happen. But I could envision a scenario completely outside of the 'poisoned well' assumption that I am not convinced exists. We can't pay everyone. And the Bennett/Chancellor contract situations loom as strong potential landmines to navigate this offseason.

Rocket

Reaction score
Largent80":bkfefukj said:
If it happens, so be it. Not worth getting attached to players anymore in this game of greed.
At first I said, "oh Rob" in my mind... but you're right Bro.
You're pretty smart for an old fart.

morgulon1

Reaction score
There have been several people on here that have alluded to such a transaction taking place. If it works out for all involved, I don't have a terrible problem with the scenario of paying Bennett more and getting picks for Kam. I still feel like his holdout was due to the fact that he hurt himself and realized he wasn't going to be in the NFL indefinitely.
On the other hand, if he can be retained I like #31 and what he brings to our defense.

Marlin Man

Reaction score
No matter what WE think he is worth. He crossed the line and in this game their ain't no going back. They will get the max they can for him, always do!

Status
Not open for further replies.