Cheat sheet on UW

EverydayImRusselin

Reaction score
CPHawk":2g51cdsg said:
UW fans do understand you hired a coach who can't recruit, and the commits UW had are running away like rats off a sinking ship? All that, and a guy, Tosh, UW paid way to much just to recruit, is now recruiting for SC even though he is still employed by UW.

Yet he's still 2-0 vs. Oregon. Hmmmm.

kearly

Reaction score
CPHawk":82i8v52h said:
UW fans do understand you hired a coach who can't recruit, and the commits UW had are running away like rats off a sinking ship? All that, and a guy, Tosh, UW paid way to much just to recruit, is now recruiting for SC even though he is still employed by UW.

Serious question, were you smoking crack when you typed that?

Over the better part of the last decade Boise State has produced more NFL stars than Oregon has. And he did so at BOISE STATE.

I'm not as high on Petersen as some are, I'm not down on him either. I'm in "wait and see" mode. But that said, it is a fact that Petersen coached for Oregon, had extremely strong ties to Mike B and was even offered the Oregon head coaching job in the recent past. He turned down a then national power Oregon but jumped at the chance to coach UW. I wonder why that is?

Regardless of how good of a coach Petersen really is, I love the fact that he turned down Oregon and USC before coming here.

JSeahawks

Reaction score
He never turned down Oregon. The Oregon job was helfrich's all along. Chip Kelly hand picked him much like mora was in place to replace holmgren.

EverydayImRusselin

Reaction score
kearly":3urm1vxa said:
CPHawk":3urm1vxa said:

Over the better part of the last decade Boise State has produced more NFL stars than Oregon has. And he did so at BOISE STATE.

I'm not as high on Petersen as some are, I'm not down on him either. I'm in "wait and see" mode. But that said, it is a fact that Petersen coached for Oregon, had extremely strong ties to Mike B and was even offered the Oregon head coaching job in the recent past. He turned down a then national power Oregon but jumped at the chance to coach UW. I wonder why that is?

Regardless of how good of a coach Petersen really is, I love the fact that he turned down Oregon and USC before coming here.

It's been said before but he is a big family man. His son had cancer at a very young age and he didn't want to keep moving him around. Now that his son is older he felt like it was a good time to go.

ClumsyLurk

Reaction score
I think the new playoff system making it even harder for teams like Boise St. really helped the 'timing'

CPHawk

Reaction score
kearly":bb8l5anx said:
CPHawk":bb8l5anx said:

Like J said, he was offered nothing from UO. The year before when Kelly almost left for TB, UO had already scheduled the press conference to introduce Helfrich as the HC. Bellotti has no power over who gets hired at UO, I know for a fact he wanted the job and was told no thanks. So to think he could get Pete the job, when he couldn't even get it for himself is crazy.

As for putting more NFL players, I would like to see those numbers. One thing UW fans like to ignore is that a lot of his recruits did t have the grades to get into PAC 12 schools, and if you follow recruiting at all a potential academic casualty will be rated lower, even though said recruit would be a 4-5* if he had the grades. Boise is a much easier school to get into so Pete and his staff could take those players.

EverydayImRusselin

Reaction score
CPHawk":3j9c4v1s said:
kearly":3j9c4v1s said:
CPHawk":3j9c4v1s said:

Like J said, he was offered nothing from UO. The year before when Kelly almost left for TB, UO had already scheduled the press conference to introduce Helfrich as the HC. Bellotti has no power over who gets hired at UO, I know for a fact he wanted the job and was told no thanks. So to think he could get Pete the job, when he couldn't even get it for himself is crazy.

As for putting more NFL players, I would like to see those numbers. One thing UW fans like to ignore is that a lot of his recruits did t have the grades to get into PAC 12 schools, and if you follow recruiting at all a potential academic casualty will be rated lower, even though said recruit would be a 4-5* if he had the grades. Boise is a much easier school to get into so Pete and his staff could take those players.

You can look at the links below. Oregon has 27 NFL players, BSU has 18. You can also look at the last link for a list of BSU recuits over the years.

http://espn.go.com/nfl/college/_/letter/o

http://espn.go.com/nfl/college/_/letter/b

http://espn.go.com/college-sports/footb ... oise-state

BreesIsOverrated

Reaction score
Oregon has had their football program around for 120 years. 120 years without any form of a national title.

kearly

Reaction score
From 2008 to 2012 BSU had four first round picks compared to one from Oregon in that span. Oregon had a pair in the 2013 draft which makes it a lot closer, now 4-3 since 2008. If you go back to 2006 it's 4-4, but then you are dealing with BSU players that Peterson didn't recruit.

Anyway, I was wrong about the Oregon job. I did read that he interviewed for it, but I can't find any confirmation that he was offered anything. Only that he shot down USC, UCLA and Penn State.

In interviews Petersen specifically talks about "OCGs" (our kind of guys) and specifically talks about rejecting recruits because they didn't have good grades.

kearly

Reaction score
JSeahawks":2gu6awb8 said:
He never turned down Oregon. The Oregon job was helfrich's all along. Chip Kelly hand picked him much like mora was in place to replace holmgren.

Kind of reminds me of how UW got Jim Lambright.

seahawk2k

Reaction score
I believe the Oregon/Peterson job thing was hotter when Belliotti left, but you Duck fans are more in the know than I am.

I'm wait and see on Petersen, but I think he's a great guy, a good coach and he has a good chance of taking the program to the next level. I love how loaded the Pac 12 is with good coaches right now.

cover-2

Reaction score
It looks like all the key players have been mentioned except for the big man in the middle...DT Danny Shelton.

UW IdahoSt 29 620x340

Ckle danny shelton of the washington display image Dannyshelton display image

1056436.jpg

JSeahawks

Reaction score
seahawk2k":32g3kevn said:
I believe the Oregon/Peterson job thing was hotter when Belliotti left, but you Duck fans are more in the know than I am.

The reason Bellotti left is because otherwise they probably would have lost Chip Kelly to a head coaching job somewhere else. Bellotti moving to assistant athletic director, or whatever his title was, was all about giving Chip Kelly the gig.

When Chip was rumored to have a deal with the Tampa Bay Bucs the previous offseason to when he left to take the Eagles job there were rumors that Phil Knights jet was in Boise. But that was all just rumor as far as I know, and is as close as Peterson has ever come to having anything to do with the Oregon head coaching job.

DavidSeven

Reaction score
Bellotti actually confirmed just last week that he asked Petersen about taking the Oregon job.

From the Seattle Times:

Bellotti started to recruit Petersen again, this time as his potential successor as Oregon’s head coach.

Petersen, the head coach at Boise State at that time, was already eyeing a different Northwest school.

“I’m not surprised at all,” Bellotti said Friday morning, after Petersen was officially named Washington’s head coach. “I’ve been in the loop the last couple days, and in the last week or two with USC and Washington. Chris and I talk — I wouldn’t say frequently, but multiple times per year about his future and what he’s going to do.

“He had let me know years ago, five to seven years ago, that the Washington job was one that definitely held interest for him. Just the combination of recognition that maybe they could be better, in his estimation, but that they had the resources and facilities to regain the level that they had played at in the early ’90s.”

“I talked to him about the possibility of coming back to Oregon is some capacity, even as the head coach, and he said he wasn’t as excited about that — but the Washington job was one that had always intrigued him,” said Bellotti, now an ESPN analyst.

CPHawk

Reaction score
Bellotti was forced to step down after 2008 in order to promote Chip.

Latest posts