Chris Clemons Visiting the Seahawks

SeaJax

Reaction score
I'm not advocating this move at all, but Pete got 8 sacks out of Raheem Brock his first year here in a similar limited role. Clem may have struggled in Jax, but is a superior player then when a Brock played here at the end of his career. Plus, he is already invested in the locker room.

firebee

Reaction score
HawkinNY":2vdr3520 said:
peachesenregalia":2vdr3520 said:
His value is more as a locker room leader. The leadership void left by Irvin needs filling, bring him in.

Exactly

Irvin... Leadership??? Hate to be the barer of bad tidings, but Irvin wasn't one of the leaders on the team. He was a piece that did extremely well on our defense under the leadership of B-Wags, Wright, Thomas, Sherman, Kam, Mebane, Bennett and Avril. He's an amazing kid that did what he was supposed to do, but he was definitely not one of the leaders on our defense. Their is no leadership void that needs to be filled. Their is an athletic part of the equation on our defense that needs to be filled.

Cyrus12

Reaction score
i a m fine with it as well. Clemons was good here but will see if he makes it out of pre season. Hope he is healthy and has one more yr in the tank.

Popeyejones

Reaction score
Reunion tours are fine, as long as you go in expecting a kinda depressing knock-off of the original.

Seymour

Reaction score
LOL. Nothing to get excited about here. Clemons is finished, and will not even make the team. Next.

HawkFan72

Reaction score
Seymour":2p8y7wn3 said:
LOL. Nothing to get excited about here. Clemons is finished, and will not even make the team. Next.

Probably correct. But I remember people writing him off as "nothing to get excited about" the first time the Seahawks acquired him, too. He might find a small resurgence being back on Pete Carroll's Defense and be a good role player.

Missing_Clink

Reaction score
HawkFan72":13rx19oy said:
Seymour":13rx19oy said:

Probably correct. But I remember people writing him off as "nothing to get excited about" the first time the Seahawks acquired him, too. He might find a small resurgence being back on Pete Carroll's Defense and be a good role player.

Yea no one knew who he was back in 2010 and we had no idea he would play so well, but that was six years ago and he is 34 now.

harryjohnson

Reaction score
peachesenregalia":2dlgda54 said:
His value is more as a locker room leader. The leadership void left by Irvin needs filling, bring him in.

Irvin was a leader?

TDOTSEAHAWK

Reaction score
Fade":3k66vze6 said:
Vet min w/0 guaranteed. Anything over that would be an overpay.

Agreed but if he plays only on passing downs and saves all his gas for those situations he may be pretty useful. I agree with whoever mentioned the Raheem Brock role. Basically our pass rush last season was Michael Bennett so anything to buttress that would be welcome to me.

Hawk-Lock

Reaction score
Agreed, anything over the vet minimum is overpaying him. He was graded as the second worst edge rusher last year by PFF. Not exactly a guy who is going to demand a lot on the market.

Hawks46

Reaction score
I'm guessing if they sign him (I'm guessing at vet min), he's here to mentor Clark now that Clark is at 257 lbs.

Just reread that. Lots of guessing. :twisted:

253hawk

Reaction score
Hawkfan77":29udgf3k said:
Love it. Put him back in the system he excelled in and now where he no longer needs to be playing so much. He's a complimentary player now and will be good in a rotation

This. Going from a little over half the snaps in every game to virtually playing every single down is going to make just about any guy look bad.

Snaps:
SEA 2013 - 606 (includes playoffs and SB)
JAX 2014 - 871
JAX 2015 - 748

kearly

Reaction score
Losing Irvin, having Clark lose a few pounds and signing Chris Clemons is not how I envisioned this team getting better at pass rush this offseason. Nothing against Clem, but if this ends up being the offseason at pass rush I'll be disappointed.

Seymour

Reaction score
Missing_Clink":259dgzjx said:
HawkFan72":259dgzjx said:
Seymour":259dgzjx said:

Yea no one knew who he was back in 2010 and we had no idea he would play so well, but that was six years ago and he is 34 now.

Exactly. He wasn't 34 years old when that happened.

Reaction score
I would be all for this. Can always use pass rushers and he is one of my favorites. He might not have had a great year in Jax but I'm sure all the losing gets you down.
If we can get him for a reasonable contract I would do it.

MysterMatt

Reaction score
kearly":1kgb0o1v said:
Losing Irvin, having Clark lose a few pounds and signing Chris Clemons is not how I envisioned this team getting better at pass rush this offseason. Nothing against Clem, but if this ends up being the offseason at pass rush I'll be disappointed.
I agree. I'm just chilling poolside in Maui at the moment, so nothing really brings me down, but the DL just doesn't seem to be all that inspiring this year. Of course, I trust Pete and John to field a winning team, but at this early point I am not terribly confident that we'll have anything but an above average D. Most teams would kill for that, but it's sort of out of character for us. I will be patient and see how the draft and the rest of FA works out.

pcbball12

Reaction score
It's a nice move if it is cheap with no real guarantees. The way I see it, they will carry 10 DL total on the 53. Right now they have Bennett, Avril, Clark, Marsh, Rubin, Hill for sure on that 53. If we resign Mebane and bring Clem in, it still leaves two open spots on the DL. Now AJ Francis will come compete for a spot but is far from guaranteed. Even with these signings there is room for 2 guys through the draft to make the team on the DL. This would just hedge our bets and allow us to not force a pick, but it doesn't mean they go away from helping the pass rush in the draft.

TDOTSEAHAWK

Reaction score
ivotuk":144bxsa0 said:
If they sign him, it's more likely as a run stopper, setting the edge. He was pretty good at that and imho, when players slow down, that's a better focus for them. Maybe have him in on 1st downs.

He's not an edge rusher anymore.

His stats:

http://www.pro-football-reference.com/p ... emCh23.htm

He is not an every-down player who can provide consistent pass rush. I think the jury is still out a bit if he can fill a nickle pass rush role but I agree with most saying that as long as its for vet minimum then there isn't much to hate about this move. .

Hasselbeck

Reaction score
If its a 1 year, vet minimum deal with no guaranteed money.. I don't mind it..

Anything over that and I have to question the deal. He looked like a shell of his former self last season, and would have been released much sooner if Dante Fowler didn't blow his knee in OTA's

Latest posts