Chris Matthews

Exittium

Reaction score
cacksman":1c73gbyc said:
swagcity21":1c73gbyc said:
I loved the signing of Matthews last off season. I thought a 6'5 receiver with percy and DougieFresh was going to put us over the top. I was disappointed when he did not make the 53 after pre-season. However I think this off season will be much different for him. After getting a taste of the Super Bowl and really showing what he could do I think it will motivate him for next year.

He was a contributor on special teams so that helps in keeping him. I've said in another thread, If Matthews can develop into that possession big body receiver in the red zone i'm ok watching Kearse go.
Really? You thought an unproven receiver from Canada that very few people had even heard of was going to put us over the top just because he's tall?

He did make some great plays in the Super Bowl and looks like a good bet to make the team next year. He did display some great ability to catch the ball at his highest point, but he was also going up against overmatched corners and Wilson put the ball in the absolute perfect spots for him. It all depends on if he can develop his route running, and make plays over good corners. Maybe we have something with him.
He just need to develop, as far as being unproven, how so? The dude was the cfls most outstanding rookie in 2012 and just like moeki has been plagued with injuries

Hyak

Reaction score
I think he has real potential but we have to see a greater body of work. I did read where Baldwin said that he had done similar things in practice at the end of the year. Maybe he can step into the rotation.

Also looking forward to Norwood developing in year 2.

ivotuk

Reaction score
This is just a guess, but he kind of reminds me of the Clinton McDonald situation where he just wasn't tough enough and/or have that fire to give his all on every play. That's why he's been on ST, to toughen him up.

We saw his toughness in the Superbowl when he held on the pass as he hit the ground fairly hard. My guess is that earlier he might have been incomplete on that kind of pass.

But like I said, it's just a guess.

theincrediblesok

Reaction score
He also reminds me of Mike Williams. Matthews is like Kearse his first year, he was cut multiple times like but sticked around playing special teams. His twitter response to the lost I feel like he will be driven to be better for next year.

cacksman

Reaction score
Exittium":3v21alnw said:
cacksman":3v21alnw said:
swagcity21":3v21alnw said:
I loved the signing of Matthews last off season. I thought a 6'5 receiver with percy and DougieFresh was going to put us over the top. I was disappointed when he did not make the 53 after pre-season. However I think this off season will be much different for him. After getting a taste of the Super Bowl and really showing what he could do I think it will motivate him for next year.

He was a contributor on special teams so that helps in keeping him. I've said in another thread, If Matthews can develop into that possession big body receiver in the red zone i'm ok watching Kearse go.
Really? You thought an unproven receiver from Canada that very few people had even heard of was going to put us over the top just because he's tall?

He did make some great plays in the Super Bowl and looks like a good bet to make the team next year. He did display some great ability to catch the ball at his highest point, but he was also going up against overmatched corners and Wilson put the ball in the absolute perfect spots for him. It all depends on if he can develop his route running, and make plays over good corners. Maybe we have something with him.
He just need to develop, as far as being unproven, how so? The dude was the cfls most outstanding rookie in 2012 and just like moeki has been plagued with injuries

Can you name the CFLs most outstanding rookie in 2014? If we signed whoever he is, would you not say he is unproven?

Hasselbeck

Reaction score
He played great but I cant help but think how he was a complete non factor when Belichick put Browner on him instead of Logan Ryan, who was so bad on Sunday that he got benched.

But yeah.. would be disappointed if they didn't give him a shot. Not like every team in the league has Brandon Browner.

swagcity21

Reaction score
cacksman":2yeuksqa said:
swagcity21":2yeuksqa said:

I did because I thought that was the element of our passing game we were missing. Every year its the same thing "the Seahawks WR are short and don't have that big body to go to." I still believe Matthews can do that.

He may not be a speedster but he showed he can have good body control. Not everyone is Calvin Johnson, but a big body to shift Defenses in red zone opportunities definitely helps our running game, and even our other receivers in that scenario.

lukerguy

Reaction score
In the first two years of the PC/JS era, they would easily give players options to thrive and start. I seriously don't think Richard Sherman would have become Richard Sherman on at least half of the other teams in the NFL.

Heck, even Seattle didn't see how good he could have become or else they would have started him. What does that have to do with Matthews? Well I believe Seattle should start giving some of their young guys a chance to start games. WHo's to say some of these younger guys won't become stars until we start giving them time.

With that being said, guys like Simon who have had time to develop and shown to regress, I would suggest to find another option.

theincrediblesok

Reaction score
I agree we didn't know how good Sherman was until Trufant got injured, we didn't know how good Maxwell was until Browner got injured. We didn't know how good Tate was until Rice got injured. Richardson got injured and Matthews stepped up.