Christine Michael released, claimed by Packers

StoneCold

Reaction score
kidhawk":p3ki6xec said:
MontanaHawk05":p3ki6xec said:
[tweet]https://twitter.com/MikeGarafolo/status/798998523890974721[/tweet]

Makes sense. They are desperately thin at the position and the way they've been losing, they have nothing to lose.

Happy for him. Wonder if he'll still be there on Dec 11th. Hope he does great, except that day.

mikeak

Reaction score
Question does this mean we get to keep the money for the rest of the season which was guaranteed because he was on opening day roster?

If so nice!

Seahawkfan80

Reaction score
They are just gonna squeeze him for information......... :twisted: :sarcasm_off:

Jville

Reaction score
[tweet]https://twitter.com/FieldYates/status/799005175411277824[/tweet]

kidhawk

Reaction score
mikeak":24r2y5wa said:
Question does this mean we get to keep the money for the rest of the season which was guaranteed because he was on opening day roster?

If so nice!

I've read this a few times already on this forum, but haven't seen anything confirming this. As far as I can tell, the only money guaranteed on his contract was that of his 25,000 signing bonus and 25,000 roster bonus. The rest we saved the second we cut him.

Now that he has been claimed, Green Bay assumes the contract. The only way for a team to get a player without assuming the contract is for them to first clear waivers.

Pandion Haliaetus

Reaction score
Yup, I believe the only thing the team is on the hook for are non incentive guarantees.

Michael's 1 year deal was pretty cut and dry.

If a player is picked up on waivers or traded, the team that picks up that player assumes the original contract unless its reworked.

Had Michael cleared waivers, he would have became a free agent and would have been able to sign a new contract with any team.

Which is why GB was smart to claim him, they basically invest nothing in guarantees while they figure it he's a fit for them.

mikeak

Reaction score
kidhawk":1ujjd4cw said:
The rest we saved the second we cut him.

Here is a link to how it works. The full season's salary is guaranteed when you are on opening day roster. This is just one of many references to this. Still with GB picking him up that comes off our books. Another example is when Harvin was traded. We ate the signing bonus which was a $7million cap hit the subsequent season, but he had $7million left in salary that year that Buffalo took. So we didn't actually end up paying more in cash then if we had paid his salary out that year.

http://www.nationalfootballpost.com/the ... an-roster/

"Often, you can see a veteran chopped at the final cut-down and then brought back to the squad after the first game is played. The reason this happens is because if a vested veteran (over four years of service) is on the opening day roster, his contract is guaranteed for the season."

kidhawk

Reaction score
mikeak":9cpsmzcv said:
kidhawk":9cpsmzcv said:
The rest we saved the second we cut him.

Here is a link to how it works. The full season's salary is guaranteed when you are on opening day roster. This is just one of many references to this. Still with GB picking him up that comes off our books. Another example is when Harvin was traded. We ate the signing bonus which was a $7million cap hit the subsequent season, but he had $7million left in salary that year that Buffalo took. So we didn't actually end up paying more in cash then if we had paid his salary out that year.

http://www.nationalfootballpost.com/the ... an-roster/

"Often, you can see a veteran chopped at the final cut-down and then brought back to the squad after the first game is played. The reason this happens is because if a vested veteran (over four years of service) is on the opening day roster, his contract is guaranteed for the season."

Michael doesn't have over 4 years of service. He only has 3. This would be true only if this were 2017 instead of 2016

mikeak

Reaction score
kidhawk":3ewy9pc4 said:
Michael doesn't have over 4 years of service. He only has 3. This would be true only if this were 2017 instead of 2016

Amazing - I didn't even read my own quote properly.

You are right just went and looked in a bunch of other places and it only applies to veterans which I knew Michael was not. I always thought it applied to everyone on the roster. Guess I learned something today

Seahawk Sailor

Reaction score
California via Negros Occidental, Philippines
I think for those wondering why we kept Pope and Collins over Michael... maybe they just haven't had as much of a chance to prove themselves as he has. Doesn't look like we like him all that much less; just looks like they still get a chance to prove themselves capable or not. Time will tell for them as it did for him.

LeftHandSmoke

Reaction score
The good news in this is how PC believes in how the potential running game will improve over the proven.

As he suggested today to the media, their opportunity to either praise or criticize this will come in good time.

Smellyman

Reaction score
johnnyfever":xwjs2q5o said:
Pope: 5'9" 207 lbs.
Lynch: 5'11" 215 lbs

To me watching them both run, Lynch seemed so much bigger, but the stats above are very close. I actually like the shorter stature of pope, and if he shows promise he get bulk up a bit in the offseason.

You can add at least another 20 pounds to Lynch, no way was he 215. At the combine he was.

CMike in Green Bay? Natural grass? snow? ice? The turf is going to have a field day tackling him.

Fade

Reaction score
johnnyfever":yq0gw8tp said:
Pope: 5'9" 207 lbs.
Lynch: 5'11" 215 lbs

To me watching them both run, Lynch seemed so much bigger, but the stats above are very close. I actually like the shorter stature of pope, and if he shows promise he get bulk up a bit in the offseason.

That is list weight. Lynch was 230+ during 2012-2015.

Seahawkfan80

Reaction score
"Vikings were right behind the Packers in trying to get CM"

From a different chat room.

seabowl

Reaction score
Jville":2pigms5k said:
[tweet]https://twitter.com/FieldYates/status/799005175411277824[/tweet]

And neither will be Packers next year

bmorepunk

Reaction score
Remember last year when he was cut and there was a pretty strong contingent of individuals who said he was going to "haunt" the Seahawks in the Dallas game?

I doubt we're going to see that again with this in GB.

had2bhawk

Reaction score
I think Haunting is a stretch! There is nothing he could do/say to improve the odds of opposing teams. That's the whole beauty of this team. What's he say "They drive for 60 minutes to win"? They all have tapes that they watch. New England had 2 weeks! Here's what we do....stop us. :141847_bnono: