Christine Michael's backfield spin move

evergreen

Reaction score
I don't like the way that safety brought him down. That #16 isn't bringing down Lynch with that kind of tackle. Remember the 4-5 Niners running down field with Marshawn in the NFCCG? They didn't want any part of him...

Sports Hernia

Reaction score
scutterhawk":1xkpw0r4 said:
Sports Hernia":1xkpw0r4 said:
chris98251":1xkpw0r4 said:
Problem with a spin move is a lot of times your arm extends away from your body as you correct for balance which opens up the inadvertent hit or strip, the longer you are the more this aspect happens, Sanders wasn't very long and was compact so he didn't extend his arms to correct for balance recovery after a spin.

Think of a ice skater, when they spin and or jump they extend their arms to stabilize after.
Thanks for making my point better than I did, LOL.
What point?
The strip only happens IF the defender is in a position to make the instantaneous adjustment to get to the ball, otherwise, it's just another move in CM's bag of tricks.
If there is one drawback, it could be him doing it way too often, in which case, the defenders would have film, and be prepared to counter.
And you made my point and took it further with your last sentence.
I hope you are right and it's not a concern.

v1rotv2

Reaction score
Kearse did a double spin move in a single play and he scored a touchdown. Not too many bitching about that one.

Sports Hernia

Reaction score
v1rotv2":11aahtrm said:
Kearse did a double spin move in a single play and he scored a touchdown. Not too many bitching about that one.
And it was a great play, it's the increased possibilities of fumbles as the ball naturally most of the time goes away from the body, and your downfield vision is temporarily halted and you may not see the defender coming in for the strip. That's all I'm saying.

I actually like it when other teams players do spin moves against our defense for the same reason.

hawknation2014

Reaction score
I remember my HS coach was very anti-spin move, both on offense/special teams and on defense for the pass rushers. It would take guys by surprise when the opposing team did it during a game.

BirdsCommaAngry

Reaction score
Seems like spinning is generally an advantage against a defender attempting to just make a tackle, and simply bulling through would usually be better for getting past a defender attempting to strip or punch the ball. Whether it's good or bad would seem entirely up to CM and the coaching staff and not the move itself.

v1rotv2

Reaction score
Sports Hernia":lzmbesmy said:
v1rotv2":lzmbesmy said:
And it was a great play, it's the increased possibilities of fumbles as the ball naturally most of the time goes away from the body, and your downfield vision is temporarily halted and you may not see the defender coming in for the strip. That's all I'm saying.

I actually like it when other teams players do spin moves against our defense for the same reason.

If a fumble occurs during a spin move it's probably the fault of the player doing the move. During a spin move the ball is a much more moving target. Protecting the ball during a spin move is no different than any other time carrying the ball. High and tight. If a ball carrier can't protect the ball while carrying the ball anytime he should not be getting the ball.

Sports Hernia

Reaction score
hawknation2014":1eza2ieg said:
I remember my HS coach was very anti-spin move, both on offense/special teams and on defense for the pass rushers. It would take guys by surprise when the opposing team did it during a game.
Same reason I'm probably so against it, it was beat thru our helmets if you used a spin move and fumbled you were on the bench, that was ions ago in the mid 80's though.

scutterhawk

Reaction score
Sports Hernia":2a87xh3t said:
scutterhawk":2a87xh3t said:
Sports Hernia":2a87xh3t said:
chris98251":2a87xh3t said:
Problem with a spin move is a lot of times your arm extends away from your body as you correct for balance which opens up the inadvertent hit or strip, the longer you are the more this aspect happens, Sanders wasn't very long and was compact so he didn't extend his arms to correct for balance recovery after a spin.

Think of a ice skater, when they spin and or jump they extend their arms to stabilize after.
Thanks for making my point better than I did, LOL.
What point?
The strip only happens IF the defender is in a position to make the instantaneous adjustment to get to the ball, otherwise, it's just another move in CM's bag of tricks.
If there is one drawback, it could be him doing it way too often, in which case, the defenders would have film, and be prepared to counter.
And you made my point and took it further with your last sentence.
I hope you are right and it's not a concern.
Didn't make your point at all.
You're going on pure speculation, because you don't really know, and neither do I, that he would use that move at all in the pro's, BUT if he did, neither you nor I can say with any kind of certainty that if he did use it sparingly, that he just might have some success with it.

glad2bdada3

Reaction score
Seahawkfan80":39d26ovx said:
Sgt. Largent":39d26ovx said:
Sports Hernia":39d26ovx said:
That spin move is the one thing I don't like about him. Do that in traffic in the NFL and it's a fumble.

Don't all RB's do spin moves?

Most RB's know when to put a spin move on and when not to, so I don't think it's going to be a big deal with Michael. He seems to only do it in the backfield like Russell to avoid a loss and get out of trouble.

Tiki Barber had an issue with fumbles too....he changed his position on the carrying of the ball and ended up doing fantastic for the rest of his career. Spin moves work if you control the ball. Most of the time, they get fancy free with the ball and there it goes....like Turbin. Keep the ball tucked into your right or left pectoral, and let them try to take it away. Hopefully the pectoral you have it tucked into is closely attached to the arm holding the ball...... :mrgreen:

If Turbin keeps the ball tucked between his bicep and pectoral , you' re talkin' 'bout 2.5 ft of muscle around the football.

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
brimsalabim":12rsjfjx said:
I saw a report that Michael is hurt? What happend?

Shoulder knock. Pete said after practice that it was minor and Michael should be back tomorrow.

A

Anonymous

scutterhawk":1pd9gzhu said:
Tech Worlds":1pd9gzhu said:
That spin move? It's dumb.
I think it's only "Dumb", if it's over-utilized, and doesn't work.

"ill-advised" a better term? Not in the above example.

There is a time and a place for the spin-move, in the clip above, both qualifiers were present. The D was crashing in pretty hard, so he made something happen with it.

Can't be a ball-carriers signature move, but needs to be in the toolbox.