Chuck Knox Passed Away at 86

Jville

Reaction score
920x920[urltargetblank]https://www.seattlepi.com/sports/seahawks/article/Chuck-Knox-Seahawks-Ring-of-Honor-coach-dies-at-12910910.php[/urltargetblank]
[tweet]https://twitter.com/LeeLeeknox/status/995679173564809217[/tweet][urltargetblank]https://www.king5.com/article/sports/nfl/seahawks/former-seahawks-coach-chuck-knox-passes-away-at-86/281-551678403[/urltargetblank]

chris98251

Reaction score
He took a team that was an expansion and turned it into tough and rugged, and our first great Running back in Curt Warner, then followed with John L Williams, he also was partly involved with adding had a guy called Tez to the roster.

He didn't have great drafts really but those are the standouts, Tom Catlin was a very good DC and we had a few guys that he made outstanding he took to a elite level. It's where our legacy of a defensive team came from. Kenny Easley, Green, Bryant and Nash and a few others from the Patera era melded into a fantastic defense.
Knox didn't want to put the game in the hands of a QB for some reason, especially in the playoffs, which I really think was his undoing as being a Championship Coach.

But those Steel Blue Eyes when focused on a player could melt the toughest SOB into the ground, there wasn't a player that I ever saw stand up to Knox during a game, if you fumbled or threw a interception you were going to dread going to the sideline or the film study. But that same toughness carried over to his players on game day, we were a physical offense and more physical defense.

Expansion teams were not suppose to be this good this fast, who were those uppity people in Seattle that thought they could win in this league, and all the while come out of at the time the toughest division in football.

Credit Knox in a large part.

RIP Ground Chuck !

KitsapGuy

Reaction score
[tweet]https://twitter.com/Seahawks/status/995760090169954304[/tweet]

[tweet]https://twitter.com/RylandSpencer/status/995703025925636096[/tweet]

DdF7o9-UwAAQMvp.jpg

pugs1

Reaction score
Those Seahawks teams of the 80’s were such a huge part of my childhood. So many great memories. The playoff run in 1983 . The last second win in KC ( I was lucky to be in attendance) Thanks Coach for making this franchise relevant! I still to this day tell my daughter “Don’t tell me how rough the water is!” When she starts complaining. Classic Knoxism R.I.P Chuck Knox. You will be missed...

Does anyone remember or have a copy of the Chuck Knox song to I Feel For You by Chaka Khan? I’d love to hear it again!

IndyHawk

Reaction score
RIP Coach..
I wish we had hired him from the first season because he was a great coach.

jammerhawk

Reaction score
Great coach, better man!

Another wise person has been lost to us, but his wisdom is not easily fogotten.

God speed Coach!

R.I.P.

Condolences to his family and friends who were many.

seahawkfreak

Reaction score
seabowl":1nbt1to0 said:
I became a Hawks around 83-84 and it was in part due to this man's success with the team. I still remember his Slim Fast commercials where he lost the most weight vs the other coaches. I was even happy for that victory back then.

RIP Ground Chuck

This brings a smile to my face. I remember watching a game after he lost all that weight and my Dad came in and said, "Geez Chuck, gain some weight". I was only 12 but thought it was pretty funny, he looked so different.

Thanks for the great memories sir, RIP.

djb28

Reaction score
Man, Sad day. Chuck was friends with my family in Buffalo and he is the reason I started following the hawks all those years ago. RIP. One of my favorite coaches!

Own The West

Reaction score
metwelve":2ypngq45 said:
Aros":2ypngq45 said:
God Bless you Coach Knox. While Patera will always hold a special place in our history, Knox was the first coach to turn this team into bona fide bad asses. "Ground Chuck" drove a lot of us fans nuts who loved to see the ball fly, but nobody could argue his disciplinarian approach turned the franchise into contenders.

Thank you coach for everything you did to turn the Seahawks into a team to be reckoned with in the 80's and for taking the team to our first ever conference championship in 1983.

Ap8312310165
Coach Knoxs gave me the ability to be a cocky Seahawks fan. Always a fan but he made us above average for the first time.
We can dedicated this season to Ground Chuck by running the ball down the leagues throat
and at the end of the season dedicate the conference title to Coach Knox.

R.I.P Coach Knox

"We're gonna kick their butts!" -- You told 'em Coach...

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
Aros":1nb2r0ix said:
God Bless you Coach Knox. While Patera will always hold a special place in our history, Knox was the first coach to turn this team into bona fide bad asses. "Ground Chuck" drove a lot of us fans nuts who loved to see the ball fly, but nobody could argue his disciplinarian approach turned the franchise into contenders.

Thank you coach for everything you did to turn the Seahawks into a team to be reckoned with in the 80's and for taking the team to our first ever conference championship in 1983.

Well said.................and even though the Sonics won in 1979, I was too young to appreciate what that meant.

So it wasn't until I was WAY into the Hawks and was on the edge of my seat for every minute of that '83 game in Miami that I truly felt the magic of sports.................so I will forever be in debt for Knox and that first taste of Hawk success.

The Kingdome was always loud, and opponents didn't like that. But it wasn't until Knox built his tough as nails teams that REALLY put the Kingdome on the map as a place opponents feared, because they knew the noise, but now they knew they were about to get punched in the mouth as well.

No longer were we just a bunch of high flyin' goofballs throwing it 50 times a game running fake FG's, Knox made us into a feared and respected football team, and for that we should all be forever appreciative.

ivotuk

Reaction score
God Bless that man, for the things that he taught so many. I believe that even I learned a little about life, watching his no-nonsense attitude, yet seeing how his players looked up to him. I wasn't there, but from afar, I could see the effect that he had on other men.