Chuck Powell interesting idea - trade Russell

Hyak

Reaction score
lukerguy":17uxpagy said:
I'd get rid of some of our older "core" on D before i'd move russell.

Here's an interesting thought to consider. In PC/JS first two off seasons, they were able to draft 6 fantastic all pro level starters (ET, Kam, Sherm, Bobby, KJ, Irvin). Since then (4 years), they've only come up with 2 (Shead, Clark).

There's your issue, not russ.

Bingo. Of bigger concern, Thomas, Chancellor, and Bennett missed a combined 14 games last season (5 each for ET and Bennett and 4 for Kam) and exposed the widening gap between starter and backup.

As crazy as it sounds, I think this should largely be a defensive oriented draft.

lukerguy

Reaction score
JTB":1pf48lo5 said:
lukerguy":1pf48lo5 said:

Here's an interesting thought to consider. In PC/JS first two off seasons, they were able to draft 6 fantastic all pro level starters (ET, Kam, Sherm, Bobby, KJ, Irvin). Since then (4 years), they've only come up with 2 (Shead, Clark).

Bingo. Of bigger concern, Thomas, Chancellor, and Bennett missed a combined 14 games last season (5 each for ET and Bennett and 4 for Kam) and exposed the widening gap between starter and backup.

As crazy as it sounds, I think this should largely be a defensive oriented draft.

Yeah, QBs are like a fine wine RE: age. DBs are the opposite. 30 years doesn't treat them traditionally well.

Uncle Si

Reaction score
Tical21":3w25bvwu said:
Look, young qbs are coming in more and more ready to play and win. Couple that with the fact that so many qbs win big, get paid big, and then their team can't get back, and eventually someone is going to bet on their ability to find and judge talent and go for it. I mean, can you imagine if we got a dope qb making nothing, and added 2-3 more pro bowlers and had two extra top-5 picks? With this current roster? It's a huge risk, but so is paying your qb. And it could pay off huuuuge. Somebody is gonna do it at some point, with qb salaries nowadays. Some innovative front office.

Outside of Seattle, what team would be in the position to trade their starting QB and face of the franchise while he is in his prime?

Packers maybe? Panthers? Colts? That might be it. And I can see only the Colts entertaining that idea because of Lucks injuries and how far they seem from a Super Bowl. . That's why the scenarios seem so implausible, no matter how many fake draft picks you throw at it.

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
lukerguy":1hewfx8i said:

Yep, and hate to keep bringing up the Patriot's, but that's what they figured out a long time ago.

Pay your offensive stars because that's not the side of the ball that requires more intangibles like hunger, physicality, effort and a nasty streak............which is very hard to maintain that edge with veterans who got paid that no longer have that edge like they did in their first 2-3 years.

Our defense is comprised of roughly 75% of all the players that made it one of the greatest defenses in the history of the game in 2013, yet they're only playing to about 60-70% of that level now. Why?

If I'm Pete and John I maybe give it one more year, but if I keep seeing the blowups, in fighting and nonsense, I trade or cut someone important to make an example.

Seymour

Reaction score
Sgt. Largent":2j6wjsoz said:
Our defense is comprised of roughly 75% of all the players that made it one of the greatest defenses in the history of the game in 2013, yet they're only playing to about 60-70% of that level now. Why?

Because when you have a bank full of cash, and a fridge full of caviar and lobster, it is difficult to pretend like you are hungry all the time. Just ask Earl who was considering retirement at age 27 and in his prime.

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
Seymour":354hxq98 said:
Sgt. Largent":354hxq98 said:

Because when you have a bank full of cash, and a fridge full of caviar and lobster, it is difficult to pretend like you are hungry all the time. Just ask Earl who was considering retirement at age 27 and in his prime.

That's my point, why are we dedicating 60-70% of our cap space to the defense when they're not playing to that level justifying it?

I know we all love guys like Earl, Kam, Sherm, KJ, Cliff, Mikey B and Sherm........but maybe our philosophy should change and we should start shifting that cap space to the offense side and let a couple of these guys go.

If it means having a top 2-3 offense and reloading the defense with the next wave of young hungry nasty trying to prove something players, then that sounds like a more viable long term philosophy than hoping your defensive players regain their form and having the offense suffer.

Hyak

Reaction score
Sgt. Largent":17k93qrv said:
Seymour":17k93qrv said:
Sgt. Largent":17k93qrv said:

That's my point, why are we dedicating 60-70% of our cap space to the defense when they're not playing to that level justifying it?

I know we all love guys like Earl, Kam, Sherm, KJ, Cliff, Mikey B and Sherm........but maybe our philosophy should change and we should start shifting that cap space to the offense side and let a couple of these guys go.

If it means having a top 2-3 offense and reloading the defense with the next wave of young hungry nasty trying to prove something players, then that sounds like a more viable long term philosophy than hoping your defensive players regain their form and having the offense suffer.

I actually believe that their (PC/JS) plan is to add significant reinforcements to the defensive side of the ball with that in mind for 2018/2019 decisions. If you look at contracts for the core defensive players in question, Kam is a free agent after 2017 and Thomas, Sherman, Avril, Wright, and Clark are unrestricted FA's after 2018.

OP
OP
Tical21

Tical21

Reaction score
Uncle Si":12gya28c said:
Tical21":12gya28c said:
Look, young qbs are coming in more and more ready to play and win. Couple that with the fact that so many qbs win big, get paid big, and then their team can't get back, and eventually someone is going to bet on their ability to find and judge talent and go for it. I mean, can you imagine if we got a dope qb making nothing, and added 2-3 more pro bowlers and had two extra top-5 picks? With this current roster? It's a huge risk, but so is paying your qb. And it could pay off huuuuge. Somebody is gonna do it at some point, with qb salaries nowadays. Some innovative front office.

Outside of Seattle, what team would be in the position to trade their starting QB and face of the franchise while he is in his prime?

Packers maybe? Panthers? Colts? That might be it. And I can see only the Colts entertaining that idea because of Lucks injuries and how far they seem from a Super Bowl. . That's why the scenarios seem so implausible, no matter how many fake draft picks you throw at it.
That's a good question. Do you think Carolina would consider two top-5 picks? Probably not, but they'd probably talk about it before dismissing it. Cousins probably doesn't qualify as being good enough. A lot of the guys, like Ben or Eli, are too old to make a good comparison with.

Anthony!

Reaction score
Tical21":1oev26vg said:
Uncle Si":1oev26vg said:
Tical21":1oev26vg said:

That's a good question. Do you think Carolina would consider two top-5 picks? Probably not, but they'd probably talk about it before dismissing it. Cousins probably doesn't qualify as being good enough. A lot of the guys, like Ben or Eli, are too old to make a good comparison with.

Okay first get out of dream land you are not getting 2 top 5 picks for anyone. Second comparing with Carlina is also wrong since Cam can't even complete 60% of his passes. As has been stated no one in their right mind or who knows anything about Football trades a Franchise, elite, proven Qb who is not even in their prime yet. The fact is if you did not hate Wilson so much and he was almost anyone else neither would you.

Largent80

Reaction score
Let me get this straight. The Thimble......THE THIMBLE gets axed from Monopoly since 1935 and nobody cares?

mrt144

Reaction score
Largent80":wxd5auo7 said:
Let me get this straight. The Thimble......THE THIMBLE gets axed from Monopoly since 1935 and nobody cares?

Sew what?

Largent80

Reaction score
mrt144":qfbo1c7d said:
Largent80":qfbo1c7d said:

Sew what?

Exactly.

How can a thumb, or even RW get protection without a thimble. What a disgrace.

Boycie

Reaction score
I can't believe this post is 6 pages long.

Franchise QBs do not grow on trees, and we are so fortunate to have one.

Look at the Rams with the high picks they have had, and they still can't make the playoffs.

If we wanted to cut some salary, and bring in some new blood, then it should be done on the D side of the team.

Some of them have definitely lost their hunger, and hungry, fresh talented blood is what this team needs.

Seymour

Reaction score
Sgt. Largent":2281a0he said:
Seymour":2281a0he said:
Sgt. Largent":2281a0he said:

And I would agree. I think each player has to be closely looked at and serious thought given to not re signing "all the stars" to 2nd contracts. I was watching the Bennett deal wondering how Pete would handle this. Looks like he's going to keep dumping $$ into what once was.
Funny, an article about Smith leaving totally confirms what we are both pointing out here.

When asked about what the Seahawks need to do to win another Super Bowl, Smith said the players need to regain their hunger. He acknowledged that could be difficult for a team that has won and possesses so many players who have been paid and achieved superstar status.

sdog1981

Reaction score
Seymour":2xs9jbrd said:
And I would agree. I think each player has to be closely looked at and serious thought given to not re signing "all the stars" to 2nd contracts. I was watching the Bennett deal wondering how Pete would handle this. Looks like he's going to keep dumping $$ into what once was.
Funny, an article about Smith leaving totally confirms what we are both pointing out here.

When asked about what the Seahawks need to do to win another Super Bowl, Smith said the players need to regain their hunger. He acknowledged that could be difficult for a team that has won and possesses so many players who have been paid and achieved superstar status.

Mike Holmgren on Brock and Salk talked about when he first got to Seattle he wanted a young offense and a veteran defense. He stated on air that he would reverse it. Look at the patriots, the players that have stated the longest are Olinemen and the QB. After 2007 Belichick's defense would get younger every year after that. Offenses are choreographed precision attacks the Pete Carroll cover 3 is a read and react defense, stay deep and the deepest and wide as the widest and knock the hell out of everything in front of you.

OP
OP
Tical21

Tical21

Reaction score
Largent80":2nwysdis said:
mrt144":2nwysdis said:
Largent80":2nwysdis said:

Sew what?

Exactly.

Come on. Like you knew anyone who ever picked the thimble. If you had enough players to use the thimble, somebody would be like nah and grab a quarter or something.

OP
OP
Tical21

Tical21

Reaction score
Anthony!":a8enz7fx said:
Tical21":a8enz7fx said:
Uncle Si":a8enz7fx said:
Tical21":a8enz7fx said:

Okay first get out of dream land you are not getting 2 top 5 picks for anyone. Second comparing with Carlina is also wrong since Cam can't even complete 60% of his passes. As has been stated no one in their right mind or who knows anything about Football trades a Franchise, elite, proven Qb who is not even in their prime yet. The fact is if you did not hate Wilson so much and he was almost anyone else neither would you.
So, lemme get this straight, the guy that won the MVP of the entire league 13 months ago is not comparable to who?

hawkfan68

Reaction score
Largent80":2oim7z8b said:
mrt144":2oim7z8b said:
Largent80":2oim7z8b said:

Sew what?

Exactly.

Since the thimble is now an FA....sign it for the Seahawk OL. It would be an upgrade to the pile of crap on display last couple of seasons. At least the thimble performs its primary job to protect admirably.

Uncle Si

Reaction score
Is Wilson the only untradable asset on the team then?

Anthony!

Reaction score
Tical21":sfw2dikv said:
Anthony!":sfw2dikv said:
Tical21":sfw2dikv said:
Uncle Si":sfw2dikv said:

So, lemme get this straight, the guy that won the MVP of the entire league 13 months ago is not comparable to who?

Dude 1 year, 1 year does not mean someone is comparable to a guy has had 4+ great years.

I mean Wilson career complt % 64.7 Newton 58.4
Wilson career qb rating 99.6 Newton 86.1
Wilson career 2.82 td/int ratio, Newton 1.74

Yeah sorry they are not comparable at all

FYI Carolina would not do it either unless they knew for a fact they could get a better QB, which under your scenario is not a fact