Chuck Powell interesting idea - trade Russell

Siouxhawk

Reaction score
Worst suggestion of the new year. And this is no reflection on you, Tical.

But c'mon, we've had great success with Russ already, but just five years into the league, he's just hitting his stride. Each year he's added a dimension to becoming a more complete player, even this past season when he disciplined himself to stay in the pocket more to prevent further injury. The best is yet to come. I honestly hope the Hawks are the only team he ever plays for.

Anthony!

Reaction score
Dumbest thread of the day.

Lets think about this a minute anyway

Okay Brady, hmm So according to overthecap.com he is making on avg 20.5 mil a year. Wilson is at 21.9 mil a year. HMm not that big of a difference however here is the kicker, Bradys avg Guaranteed per year is 14mil Wilson is only 7.9. And this is Bradys like 4th or 5th contract.

The year Manning won the SB with Denver he was the 6th highest paid QB, Last time Eli won he was a top 5 paid Qb as well. I can go on what he said was not correct at all.

Sports Hernia

Reaction score
Tical21":1xmumot4 said:
Chuck made a pretty compelling argument the other day. Since the highest paid qbs never win Super Bowls, it is smarter for us to go super cheap at quarterback? We could get two very high first rounders from Cleveland. We could get Watson and pay him pennies on the dollar for four years, spend the extra money on a couple more pro-bowlers, keep our picks and add another from Cleveland. We may even be able to get more!
You should have stopped at the toad that is Chuck Powell. 8)

theincrediblesok

Reaction score
Tom Brady made huge money on his 1st contract extension during his time. Wilson hasn't even finish his first extension yet, that's the difference. Tom Brady has been one of the highest paid players at his position before the inflated rates we are getting now for QBs. I mean look at what they are giving Brock Osweiller.

His next extension is something to watch. If he wins a SB before his extension end do you give him more money? Or if Wilson himself will take less than the going rate at the time to help the team out.

I think it all depends on what the Defense especially our LOB members will do when their extension is due. Will Earl, Kam, and Sherm take a lower amount than the going rate to help out the team or will they leave for another team chasing the money.

Bobblehead

Reaction score
I thought of this as well, pre contract, but decided it was a dangerous game to be played and nixed the idea... However, I thought it would be a good idea to trade other players before they hit 30 for good draft choices and keep the stock flowing through.

You can have an expensive QB, but you can't have a whole team of expensive players.

Sports Hernia

Reaction score
Franchise QB's don't grow on trees, but apparently idiot radio personalities in this town that like to play the "contrarian card" to get ratings do.

Sad.

seahawkfreak

Reaction score
Let's try the strategy of finding gems in the draft and paying cheap at other positions first. If our coaches are as good as they think they are, then they should be able to coach up mid round rookies and make them good NFL players. It worked with the DBs, although we haven't had much success with that the past few years. How about trying this with the offensive line?
recursive-kittens.gif

NINEster

Reaction score
If Wilson was ever dealt from the Seahawks I probably will root for the Seahawks to some extent. :mrgreen:

chris98251

Reaction score
If Wilson develops echo's of footsteps in his ears thru next season then three things are possibilities.

Cable's scheme scrapped and go traditional.

Bevell and Cable fired.

Trade while he still has marketable value and not deemed as broken ala Ric Mirer, but you have to have a plan B that is pretty fail safe or you completely waste what window we have left. You don't want a Rookie learning again either so that makes you look at a proven Vet that's young enough to carry you, Taylor, or Manual, or another young Vet that was not given a complete chance but showed promise.

Anthony!

Reaction score
chris98251":2hsy39lb said:
If Wilson develops echo's of footsteps in his ears thru next season then three things are possibilities.

Cable's scheme scrapped and go traditional.

Bevell and Cable fired.

Trade while he still has marketable value and not deemed as broken ala Ric Mirer, but you have to have a plan B that is pretty fail safe or you completely waste what window we have left. You don't want a Rookie learning again either so that makes you look at a proven Vet that's young enough to carry you, Taylor, or Manual, or another young Vet that was not given a complete chance but showed promise.

I don't see them trading Wilson period, Makes no sense at all. With him we a perennial contenders, Without him were not. Any QB we could get would not put us over the top, and do you really think a QB is going to come here knowing we have the worse oline in the league. Also still no proof he is even hearing footsteps that are not there. Most of the time when he moves there is a reason.

mikeak

Reaction score
The only way you consider this is when 100% guaranteed successful QBs can be drafted with the number one pick.

You have to be looking at such stars like Ryan Leaf, RGIII, Jamarcus, David Carr, Joey Harrington, Tim Couch or Aikili Smith. Only when you see those 100% future stars of the league do you trade away an existing franchise QB.....

Anthony!

Reaction score
mikeak":2mwcnigs said:
The only way you consider this is when 100% guaranteed successful QBs can be drafted with the number one pick.

You have to be looking at such stars like Ryan Leaf, RGIII, Jamarcus, David Carr, Joey Harrington, Tim Couch or Aikili Smith. Only when you see those 100% future stars of the league do you trade away an existing franchise QB.....

There is no such thing as 100% you just named several who were thought to be.

mikeak

Reaction score
Anthony!":1pdm3jiz said:
mikeak":1pdm3jiz said:

I didn't think the Sarcasm off sign was necessary.....

no4mk1

Reaction score
Boiler":1egujh0y said:
There's a saying, "those who don't remember history are doomed to repeat it" or something like that. Who here remembers the following sequence?

Kemp, Gelbaugh, Stouffer, McGuire, Mirer, Friesz, Moon, Kitna, Foley, Huard, Dilfer

Shhhh... You have to add a trigger warning before you remind people of those years. [emoji38]

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

OP
OP
Tical21

Tical21

Reaction score
I love Russell but it became pretty obvious this year that Marshawn and the defense stirred the drink. Seems kind of a waste to pay any qb a bunch of money. The more we pass, the worse we get. We don't even have to take Watson. What if we took Fournette? Maybe Watson makes it near 25? We could have the running game, the young running qb, have money to get the best tackle in free agency, and still get the Browns' top-3 pick next season as well. Remember, we won with a cheap qb. Let's get back to our roots and win championships.

AgentDib

Reaction score
You're saying a radio guy is floating dumb ideas on a slow news day? I'm shocked.

Hawkscanner

Reaction score
Well, to that let me just say this ...

I've been a faithful fan of this team since my family and I moved to Washington in 1977. I've been with the Seahawks through thick and thin (and for you younger fans, there's been a whole lot more thin, believe me). Since the beginning of this franchise 1976, this team has engaged in a quest to find an elite franchise game changing QB.

Over the course of 41 years of Seahawks football ... this team has had a handful of arguably good functional QB's (Krieg, Moon, and Hasselbeck) ... BUT it has had a grand total of ONE -- just 1 -- truly elite level QB -- Russell Wilson. Enough said.

Hawks46

Reaction score
West TX Hawk":15gajh3h said:
Wilson will be the QB for the duration of his contract and likely beyond. The organization would have to be fully convinced that Wilson is on the downside of his career to consider any drastic measure.

While the offseason is fun to conjure up progessive and unique approaches to a roster overhaul, the risk far outweighs the reward in this scenario. Watson could be just another fast running, athletic QB that lacks the intangibles to achieve at the NFL level. We know what Wilson is capable of when healthy-and that's pretty damn good.

Couldn't have said it better myself.

The premise of the OP subject (not the poster, he's posting an opinion from someone else) is a bit short sighted actually. IF we were to do something like this, you sure as hell wouldn't trade Russell then draft a guy and hope he works out.

You draft the guy, develop him, THEN trade Russell. Heck, Boykin could be the guy in a couple of years. I'm actually happy with his development so far for being a UDFA. The coaching staff must be as well since they kept him on the roster instead of getting a guy that had more experience. It's not like they weren't out there.

MD5eahawks

Reaction score
Trading RW or even considering it is just plain stupid. Chuck needs to find a different job.

Anthony!

Reaction score
mikeak":1zrwnlze said:
Anthony!":1zrwnlze said:
mikeak":1zrwnlze said:

I didn't think the Sarcasm off sign was necessary.....

Normally I would agree but with some on here they would take it serious which is why I pointed it out