Clayton/ESPN article: Falcons in NFC title game.

DohBoy

Reaction score
A bit of schizophrenic analysis (link).

I know Clayton is a favorite whipping boy of late and it's stuff like this that makes me a bit crazy (not Kornholer violent, but frustrated).

Inre Seattle/Atlanta, he essentially makes five critical points that favor the Seahawks, IMO:

1) All the pressure is on the Falcons because of being the #1 seed, playing at home and having a history of playoff flameouts.

2) Ryan is a better QB on the road (more completions, many more TD's), and the teams' scoring output follows suit (28ppg vs. 25ppg).

3) Six of their eight home games were decided by six or fewer points.

4) Atlanta had the easiest schedule in the league.

[Clayton contends this may work against the Seahawks, but when you look at the numbers (since 1999, 3 out of the 28 SB teams have had the NFL's easiest regular-season schedule), it doesn't really wash, IMO. I don't think the citation nor the sample size is large enough to extrapolate anything of a value; rather, I contend a weak schedule means a team hasn't really been tested...has not played with its peers. Here, I give the edge to Seattle.]

5) Seahawks' are the #3 rushing team, Falcons' are the 21st in rushing defense.

From that point forward, the article deals more with Green Bay/San Francisco, albeit some mention of 'Hawk injuries.

Alas, Clayton provides little if any support for his pick of the Falcons in next week's game; just going to happen out right in spite of his previous analysis. What gives?

DohBoy

mikeak

Reaction score
funny --
Against seahawks 10am game with long travel (I still contend they should have packed for a week out of town not sure why they didn't)
Against - Marshall and Megatron caught lots of yardage against Seahawks and Atlanta have two deep threats

For Seahawks - better when they can play press with the corners, not worry about the power run and slot receivers

Difference maker - Tony Gonzales going over the middle for Atlanta and CB interceptions by Seahawks (ie Browner Sherman) and Irvin putting pressure on Ryan or not

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
Clayton is wrong about 75% of the time, so this is good news.

thebanjodude

Reaction score
mikeak":ec3kcto2 said:
funny --
Against seahawks 10am game with long travel (I still contend they should have packed for a week out of town not sure why they didn't)
Against - Marshall and Megatron caught lots of yardage against Seahawks and Atlanta have two deep threats

For Seahawks - better when they can play press with the corners, not worry about the power run and slot receivers

Difference maker - Tony Gonzales going over the middle for Atlanta and CB interceptions by Seahawks (ie Browner Sherman) and Irvin putting pressure on Ryan or not

?????

Megatron had like 40 yards, 0 touchdowns against the Seahawks

GCrow

Reaction score
Stats aside, I don't know how anyone could say Matt Ryan is a better QB on the road

mikeak

Reaction score
Erebus":1i7cmek8 said:
mikeak":1i7cmek8 said:
(I still contend they should have packed for a week out of town not sure why they didn't)

Where would they practice?

oh that is easily solved plenty of facilities in the area. Heck worst case stay in Charlotte or something and then bus down. Not like the Panthers are using their facilities

And sorry about the error on Megatron - Marshall burned us so badly I doubled up on it :D

joeseahawks

Reaction score
Marshall had one big cash ... The one that led to them tying the score. Clearly miscommunication on the DL.

Latest posts