toffee

Reaction score
LTH":22omusjo said:
Clayton: Seahawks’ chances of bouncing back in 2022 just got better

I thought this was an interesting take on next season

https://sports.mynorthwest.com/1561402/ ... 5C48Vf9RZQ

Thoughts?

LTH

I have said this many time: We could be in the playoff this year if a few lucky bounces came our way. As is, we owned 9ers, split with Phoenix. We were close in every game that we didn't win this year, real close. If we play at this year's level in next season, or just tighten up the defense some, we should be in the playoff.

Appyhawk

Reaction score
Ranch in Flint Hills of Kansas, formerly NW Montan
I see the late season resurgence of a strong running game as a big factor for us getting things turned back around the way we want them to be. Yes, we need to upgrade our lines on both sides of the ball, yes we need to rebuild our defensive mindset, but having our offense working right will go a long way in the relatively small gap between us and the playoffs.

toffee

Reaction score
Third downs, on both defense and offense, were our problem area. Defense often allowed third down conversion even with third and long, somehow we just couldn't make the stop when we need to, that led to long time of possession for the other team. Offense wasn't good at third down conversion also. Together, our defense often had tired legs by 4th quarter.

If we could make a 30% improvements on 3rd down stoppage and conversion, we should go far.

Hawknight

Reaction score
toffee":709o8y9q said:
LTH":709o8y9q said:

Thoughts?

LTH

I have said this many time: We could be in the playoff this year if a few lucky bounces came our way. As is, we owned 9ers, split with Phoenix. We were close in every game that we didn't win this year, real close. If we play at this year's level in next season, or just tighten up the defense some, we should be in the playoff.

If only Wilson hadn't given us the finger...issue...we may have been in the playoffs. Glad it wasn't more serious.

JayhawkMike

Reaction score
1. It is slightly easier to get in the playoffs.
2. If we make it, and we might, we will win one or less games.

So why stay on this treadmill? Is the new team motto “be better than average”? I see absolutely no reason why we will beat a playoff worthy opponent in a big game.

ZagHawk

Reaction score
JayhawkMike":1gbmt8b2 said:

So why stay on this treadmill? Is the new team motto “be better than average”? I see absolutely no reason why we will beat a playoff worthy opponent in a big game.

This. The Niners come and go from the playoffs but it seems like every time they're in it it's to the NFCCG, same for the Rams. Hawks..well we've seen their playoff results the last few seasons.

OP
OP
L

LTH

Reaction score
ZagHawk":1bvgo47m said:
JayhawkMike":1bvgo47m said:

This. The Niners come and go from the playoffs but it seems like every time they're in it it's to the NFCCG, same for the Rams. Hawks..well we've seen their playoff results the last few seasons.

The difference between the Hawks and the Niners is the Niners have some down years and so do the Rams. for the Hawks they have not had a top ten draft in what, correct me if i'm wrong, 10 or so years? something like that. So they never get a chance to retool. yeah, they have had some drafts that were not exactly great because they are always drafting 27 or so..., but I think this is a GOOD reason for mediocrity. you give the Hawks 2 top ten drafts in those ten years and I'm sure you get much different results... Now i know some people are NOT going to agree with me and thats fine but from my perspective I do not see how a team can be competitive looking at the Hawks draft position in the last ten years. but they are. and I think that's because of great coaching of mediocre players. and the Hawks taking huge chances in the draft sometimes in FA...

and that's the way I see it...

LTH

toffee

Reaction score
Hawknight":33jtkkx0 said:
toffee":33jtkkx0 said:
LTH":33jtkkx0 said:

Thoughts?

LTH

If only Wilson hadn't given us the finger...issue...we may have been in the playoffs. Glad it wasn't more serious.

One could argue that either Wilson didn't get hurt, or Wilson didn't rush back after surgery; either case, we might be in the playoffs.

OP
OP
L

LTH

Reaction score
toffee":3p2xlddk said:
Hawknight":3p2xlddk said:
toffee":3p2xlddk said:
LTH":3p2xlddk said:

Thoughts?

LTH

One could argue that either Wilson didn't get hurt, or Wilson didn't rush back after surgery; either case, we might be in the playoffs.

Your right... If Wilson had not gotten hurt, there a a strong chance that all 4 NFC west teams made the play offs... wouldn't that have been something to watch!

toffee

Reaction score
LTH":3lteimdh said:
toffee":3lteimdh said:
Hawknight":3lteimdh said:
toffee":3lteimdh said:

Your right... If Wilson had not gotten hurt, there a a strong chance that all 4 NFC west teams made the play offs... wouldn't that have been something to watch!

Once a generation type of event, wouldn't it?

nutluck

Reaction score
LTH":163dy4wp said:

At the start of the year that is exactly what I thought was going to happen and it almost did.

OP
OP
L

LTH

Reaction score
nutluck":2ueyj33w said:
LTH":2ueyj33w said:

At the start of the year that is exactly what I thought was going to happen and it almost did.

Dude the NFC west is scary good...I think it's a factor in the success of the Seahawks that is overlooked. The Seahawks are a much better team than people give them credit for they had a pretty decent record against the WEST... wasn't great but the Niners , Rams and Cards are some of the best teams in the league. loss to the Rams twice beat the Niners twice and split with the Cards .500 ball I want to see it better than that but that was an ok accomplishment considering the circumstances.

Just my take

LTH

JayhawkMike

Reaction score
LTH":1ecmfa4n said:
ZagHawk":1ecmfa4n said:
JayhawkMike":1ecmfa4n said:

The difference between the Hawks and the Niners is the Niners have some down years and so do the Rams. for the Hawks they have not had a top ten draft in what, correct me if i'm wrong, 10 or so years? something like that. So they never get a chance to retool. yeah, they have had some drafts that were not exactly great because they are always drafting 27 or so..., but I think this is a GOOD reason for mediocrity. you give the Hawks 2 top ten drafts in those ten years and I'm sure you get much different results... Now i know some people are NOT going to agree with me and thats fine but from my perspective I do not see how a team can be competitive looking at the Hawks draft position in the last ten years. but they are. and I think that's because of great coaching of mediocre players. and the Hawks taking huge chances in the draft sometimes in FA...

LTH

So this is your excuse for us sucking in the playoffs. How is it going to change next season?

OP
OP
L

LTH

Reaction score
JayhawkMike":16tdx6x7 said:
LTH":16tdx6x7 said:
ZagHawk":16tdx6x7 said:
JayhawkMike":16tdx6x7 said:

LTH

So this is your excuse for us sucking in the playoffs. How is it going to change next season?

I could give you 3 or 4 paragraphs about my perspective on the issue but the beauty of it is nobody really knows what's going to happen and that my friend is what makes the off season so spectacular...

So why don't you tell me how you think it is going change or not change then everybody will understand your perspective.

LTH

xray

Reaction score
So the Hawks can bounce back with an easy schedule along with negative situations with several teams . They could make post season again ; except getting there in that fashion would be a recipe for another ' one and done ' playoff appearance . IMO

Optimus25

Reaction score
Define ‘bounce back’. Make the playoffs and lose in the first round?

Yay Peteball!

JustTheTip

Reaction score
Funny stuff when we start talking about the Seahawks chances in terms of how other teams will get worse instead of how the Seahawks will improve.

CalgaryFan05

Reaction score
toffee":33xnd2u5 said:
LTH":33xnd2u5 said:

Thoughts?

LTH

For all the doom and gloom - I agree with you. Handful of games literally could have gone either way. No busted finger? Probably 12 wins.

nutluck

Reaction score
JustTheTip":36bjroca said:
Funny stuff when we start talking about the Seahawks chances in terms of how other teams will get worse instead of how the Seahawks will improve.

I agree, hoping other teams get worse so we have a easy schedule next year and can more easily make the playoffs is just asking to be bounced in the first round of the playoffs again.

Personally I think it is better to have a very tough schedule and still make the playoffs, then you know your team has a legit chance to go all the way and win it all.