Clowney

HawkerD

Reaction score
HawkFreak":on1swtr3 said:
scutterhawk":on1swtr3 said:
Our Defense as a whole, is playing NOTHING like they did last year....... Clark at Chiefs, is playing NOTHING like he did last year for the Seahawks. Opposing Quarterbacks have been dumping off a LOT faster than they have in the past few years, so Hits, Sacks & Pressures are way down....go figure, eh?

Yeah mainly this. I'm not sure what pass rush is getting to the QB for sack when they are getting rid of the ball in 2-3 seconds many times on designed dump offs.

We play so far off the receiver that the opposing QB can get rid of the ball usually on the first read. We need more press coverage (possibly our CBs are not capable), disrupt the route at the LOS and play tighter coverage overall. If the QB has to go to second or third reads, someone will get home.

bbsplitter

Reaction score
I really hope we sign Clowney. I am almost thankful though that while he effecting the opposing offense a lot, he isn't putting up crazy sack numbers. Maybe that means we can let him test the market and save a little $$ in signing him. Some other teams really value those sack stats.

andyh64000

Reaction score
One issue is that our secondary never forces the QB to hold the ball an extra beat. We used to get a lot of coverage sacks. Have we gotten a single coverage sack this year?

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
andyh64000":26ltr4kq said:
One issue is that our secondary never forces the QB to hold the ball an extra beat. We used to get a lot of coverage sacks. Have we gotten a single coverage sack this year?

Since we barely have any sacks at all, I'd say no...............and yes this is the big elephant in the room with our defense.

It's hard to have a lot of faith in our defense when the pass rush AND defensive backfield isn't playing well, as those two units are vital to each other's success. Usually you can scheme one or the other to find some way of compensating, but not both.

Thus why all the base defense, allowing bad teams to hang around with long drives, and giving up the most yards per play in the league (6.4 yards per play) other than the Bungles and Dolphins, who are both complete and utter dumpster fires this year.

AgentDib

Reaction score
tersal":19gi0ed5 said:
I have seen the multiple three hundred yard games and one four hundred yard passing game mediocre QB's have put up on the Seahawks... I do not doubt Clowney is a great player I do not see twenty million a year.
It's a team sport. Even Khalil Mack was completely blanked against Chicago's two good opponents this year (Saints with Bridgewater, Packers). When the ball is coming out quickly it's on the secondary to cover and make plays.

We were playing extra soft in the second half against Atlanta partly because of the score but also because Akeem King is not a very good starting NFL cornerback. Nobody is suggesting that our secondary is fine as is. When it does get better the QB pressures and sacks will come in tandem.

Mad Dog

Reaction score
Looking at stats alone is an uber poor way to assess a player's performance. It's like looking at passing yards without looking at TD's thrown.

Clowney passes the eye test as an elite DE. Great penetration against the run, requires double teams, forces teams to run quick passes and screens. I'd love for us to keep him. I don't think Ansah is at all what I was hoping. He's indistinguishable from Green and Jackson. But Clowney always seems to be blowing something up even if he's not getting the QB down with the ball.

But he does have to quit lowering his helmet into QB's and jumping offsides. Can we dock him a million per year for each crown of the helmet blow?

OP
OP
T

tersal

Reaction score
Mad Dog":hm36qmhs said:
Looking at stats alone is an uber poor way to assess a player's performance. It's like looking at passing yards without looking at TD's thrown.

Clowney passes the eye test as an elite DE. Great penetration against the run, requires double teams, forces teams to run quick passes and screens. I'd love for us to keep him. I don't think Ansah is at all what I was hoping. He's indistinguishable from Green and Jackson. But Clowney always seems to be blowing something up even if he's not getting the QB down with the ball.

But he does have to quit lowering his helmet into QB's and jumping offsides. Can we dock him a million per year for each crown of the helmet blow?

I am not looking at stats alone. Also when I wrote this post I
did not research contracts Khalil Mac and Aaron Donald both received Quarterback Money wow. Compared to that Clark's contract looks modest. That being said Clowney is a star I do not have him as high as Mack and Donald though, As for Clark he shared time with Avril while here forr three years his one year full time he was great. I guess he and Clowney are on the same level Clark getrs to the QB better Clowney plays the run better. Side note like to see Green get more time.

OP
OP
T

tersal

Reaction score
Finally I created this post just after the Falcons game thus my frustration over seeing yet another mediocre QB put up huge numbers affected my views they were a bit clouded.

Attyla the Hawk

Reaction score
Clowney is showing he's worth every penny he's going to get. Probably playing his best ball of his career.

It's not his fault that the entire rest of the line needs to be replaced hard. He is virtually a perfect DE for what we want/ask of his role.

He is a foundation piece that Seattle should build around. Disruptive, despite being the only player even worth double teaming (and he's playing through a steady diet of that). Dominant at the point of attack. He's as close to a shut down end as there is in this league.

There aren't but a handful of players able to make impact plays on this defense on a game to game basis. Pay the man and add pieces. DE is a premium position that is difficult to fill. Particularly one with his excellent all around game. He's been playing elite at both spectrums.

This defense has been bad against the pass. That's more a function of absence of interior pressure and right end pressure as well as absence of a nickel CB. Clowney is holding up his end and more.

loafoftatupu

Reaction score
Clowney is a monster, I mean this guy is really gifted and watching his effort is genuine joy. If he gets ANY elite help it wil be devastating for the opponent. I can't count how many times the guy was getting outright pulled from behind without a holding call, especially in the second half but on some plays he was held twice. He is still young and the Seahawks need to pay him and make him the core of the line.

Jville

Reaction score
I'm totally enjoying the play of Clowney. He's different than what we had in the well rounded Chris Clemons. But, like Clemons in his time, Clowney is a foundation player. F9672Ff4cb43b626b652e133c75200010e0786 crop north
Photo is that of Chris Clemons from his playing days.

Subzero717

Reaction score
rcaido":1l9ti27v said:
tersal":1l9ti27v said:
Midway through the season I like Clowney plays hard I know he get double teamed a lot However I cannot see any way to pay him like Clark got paid in KC. By the way please do not hate on Clark he was a great Seahawk played hard and produced big time. He wanted to stay the team chose to trade him.

Our most effective pass rusher and you dont want to pay him? We just use him as a 1 year rental?

Our most effective pass rusher is on pace for 4 sacks this season.

Jville

Reaction score
Subzero717":gzhpoeny said:
rcaido":gzhpoeny said:
tersal":gzhpoeny said:
Midway through the season I like Clowney plays hard I know he get double teamed a lot However I cannot see any way to pay him like Clark got paid in KC. By the way please do not hate on Clark he was a great Seahawk played hard and produced big time. He wanted to stay the team chose to trade him.

Our most effective pass rusher and you dont want to pay him? We just use him as a 1 year rental?

Sacks are nice for the media and fan bragging rights ......... but it's pressures and punches that produce turnovers that are most highly valued. And now that we are at the halfway mark of the regular season, the best is yet to come.

niveky

Reaction score
WestcoastSteve":1ylzpf44 said:
AgentDib":1ylzpf44 said:
If you can't see the constant impact that Clowney is making in opposing backfields this year then nobody is going to be able to convince you. Maybe you're listening to the game on the radio or watching on your phone or something.

Probably one of those fans who just reads box scores.

Clowney is an elite disrupter. Forces holds, strips the ball, gets picks, blows by tackles he just wrecks $h!t.

He may never be a 15 sack guy but he is still incredibly valuable and good at what he does.

All of this and he is getting consistent pressure..I see him in the back field a lot.. just the way teams are playing and as others have said no pressure up the middle a lot of near misses.

kf3339

Reaction score
Clowney is doing a great job. The other D-lineman are not helping out. Ford isn't a rush tackle so he is fine. Jefferson has made some push, but he was out injured. Al Wood is more a run stuffing tackle with only a little push at this point.

The issues are with Reed and to a huge extent Ansah. I know Reed may take another game or two to get going, but he does need to push it now. I don't think Ansah will do much for us all year, and was hoping we would make a trade for a true Leo. It didn't happen, so we are stuck with him for this year. He won't be back next season.

Our back end defense needs to get better to help these guys out. That may be the only way this group turns it around as a whole.

sutz

Reaction score
IIRC, Clowney has never been a big sack guy. But he does get a lot of TFL, and does have a knack for getting in the backfield and gumming up the works for the offense, run or pass. Also sets the edge well and holds up against the wide runs well. Doesn't show up on the fantasy football stats much, but plays real football really well.

TransGenderHawkFan

Reaction score
Subzero717":vhioqr6m said:
rcaido":vhioqr6m said:
tersal":vhioqr6m said:

No kidding! How are your fantasy teams doimg this year?

JGfromtheNW

Reaction score
Clowney has been a man amongst boys, but he's the primary focus of every offense we've played against. Until other guys on the d-line start helping, he's going to continue being the most double teamed lineman in the league and his opportunities to get sacks will still be limited. He's been amazing against the run and is disruptive on almost every play.

Clowney is only 26, turning 27 in February. I'd love to see the Hawks sign him to a 2-3 year deal even if it's at or near top DE money because that's what someone is going to pay him. IMO he's worth it and would be a great piece if the Hawks are serious about competing for another Superb Owl in the next couple years.

Jimjones0384

Reaction score
AgentDib":1d58mxjv said:
If you can't see the constant impact that Clowney is making in opposing backfields this year then nobody is going to be able to convince you. Maybe you're listening to the game on the radio or watching on your phone or something.

But, sacks are all that matter, lmao. He is third in the league in "pass rush win rate." Link below. And has been stated before, the best run defending 4-3 d end in the league. I really don't think anyone is giving him Frank Clark money.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.espn.c ... atform=amp

Edit: Keep scrolling down the page. Under "team pass rush win rate." May surprise many.

Latest posts