Coaching Staff Announced

Own The West

Reaction score
If you didn't see it:

https://www.seahawks.com/news/seaha...ensive-coordinator-add-sean-desai-karl-scott-

Points of interest for me:
- Nate Carroll was removed as receivers coach and is now just an "offensive assistant".
- Karl Smith and Sean Desai, both defensive guys, are our two associate head coaches. There is no associate offensive guy, nor is there an 'assistant' head coach. I don't know what this title entails.
- Former players Aaron Curry, Deshawn Shead, and Big Willy Tukuafu are on staff too. (And before you start moaning about Curry, remember the old saying, "Those that can't, teach." :lol: )

But on defense it's going to be Hurtt and Desai -- who are friends and have coached together before -- with Karl Smith in the secondary.

And offense it's going to be Waldron-guys: Waldron, Dickerson (OL), and Morton (Run game), with Lal (Pass game).

If anything I think this represents a more cohesive staff on both offense and defense.

GO HAWKS! :2thumbs:

toffee

Reaction score
Own The West":3qt32x71 said:
If you didn't see it:

https://www.seahawks.com/news/seaha...ensive-coordinator-add-sean-desai-karl-scott-

- Nate Carroll was removed as receivers coach and is now just an "offensive assistant".
- Karl Smith and Sean Desai, both defensive guys, are our two associate head coaches. There is no associate offensive guy, nor is there an 'assistant' head coach. I don't know what this title entails.
- Former players Aaron Curry, Deshawn Shead, and Big Willy Tukuafu are on staff too. (And before you start moaning about Curry, remember the old saying, "Those that can't, teach." :lol: )

But on defense it's going to be Hurtt and Desai -- who are friends and have coached together before -- with Karl Smith in the secondary.

And offense it's going to be Waldron-guys: Waldron, Dickerson (OL), and Morton (Run game), with Lal (Pass game).

If anything I think this represents a more cohesive staff on both offense and defense.

Karl Smith was Russ's QB coach '11-'17

Maelstrom787

Reaction score
Own The West":2r0f9r5n said:
If you didn't see it:

Quick point - the other associate head coach is actually Carl "Tater" Smith, Russell's old quarterback coach who was brought back in 2020.

sutz

Reaction score
I believe the titles "assistant head coach" and "associate head coach" are largely symbolic titles to help prevent poaching from other teams. A team can't hire away a coach from another team who is under contract unless it includes a promotion. So, to hire an assistant head coach from another team you would have to hire them as a head coach, no matter what his job was at the first team.

keasley45

Reaction score
I like this a lot from a culture / team building perspective.

Each of these guys was elevated/ brought in at roughly the same time. Each is regarded as a sharp, young mind. There's an opportunity here for them to work collectively, as a coaching 'team' of sorts as they begin to shape and mold the aspects of the team they are responsible for, but with a broader goal of collectively building the Hawk's legacy into the future.