Karl Scott on Quarters Man Match coverage

AgentDib

Reaction score
Carroll did say last week that the Seahawks were hiring another coach to work with the secondary, but noted that it would not be a direct replacement for Desai. Carroll also said that defensive passing game coordinator Karl Scott, who adds the title senior assistant in 2023, will take on a bigger role with Desai gone.
I don't know how much of our coverage design last year was influenced by Sean Desai rather than Karl Scott, but it sounds like Carroll liked the ideas that Scott was adding to the mix.

The following video is a long watch but very interesting if you want to see how Karl Scott was implementing coverages at Alabama. Dense with terminology but he explains most of it and there will likely be a lot of these concepts in our back end this season.

hawkfan68

Reaction score
I have a feeling that the Seahawks will choose one of the Alabama secondary players in the draft - Branch, Eli Ricks, Jordan Battle, or Demarrco Hellams in the draft. Not certain when but these are the guys that Scott was working with at Alabama prior to becoming a Seahawks assistant coach.

Kamcussionator

Reaction score
One thing to consider with Desai gone is that perhaps some of the difficulties we had last year on defense was "too many cooks". We were still trying to get our run fits right half way through the season, and there were too many mass confusion events to count.

This year the voices in the room will be either Hurtt's (focused on run) or Scott's (focused on pass). That simplification alone may make us a better defense.

Another thing to consider is that Fangio defenses (where Desai came from) are focused on pass defense, often at the expense of the run. There may have been some friction there as Pete's always been a stop the run first guy -- which is why he's traditionally schemed against the run and recruited/bought elite secondary players.

nanomoz

Reaction score
I have a feeling that the Seahawks will choose one of the Alabama secondary players in the draft - Branch, Eli Ricks, Jordan Battle, or Demarrco Hellams in the draft. Not certain when but these are the guys that Scott was working with at Alabama prior to becoming a Seahawks assistant coach.
I reaaaallllly want JL Skinner from Boise State. He's the closes thing to Kam since Kam.

OP
OP
AgentDib

AgentDib

Reaction score
Branch fell into the second round in Chad Reuter's latest mock on NFL.com. I don't think that will happen for a second on draft day, but he starts to look like a really good value for us at #20 or later when you consider his experience in this scheme.
This year the voices in the room will be either Hurtt's (focused on run) or Scott's (focused on pass). That simplification alone may make us a better defense.
I thought about that too. There's a lot being made about how Scott's background at Alabama shares a lot with our 2021 CLEO passing concepts, and adding in more stuff from Desai may have led to the issue where our safety play looked hesitant at times.

FrodosFinger

Reaction score
I reaaaallllly want JL Skinner from Boise State. He's the closes thing to Kam since Kam.
Definitely had a top 30 and interview with Pete and JL fits the mold of hard hitting strong safeties and probably a second round or early third pick